Old 07-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I wish I had taken a picture of it at the Mothership. They moved ours like that with 2 large vice grips - one to each side (left and right) of the center of the head sitting on the trailer. If you just put your hand on the head and move it left and right, you will see where a pair of clamps will keep it straight and prevent it from swinging. Hard to describe otherwise :-)
Non-marring or rubber covered jaws, I would hope?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Non-marring or rubber covered jaws, I would hope?????

I don't recall but would imagine yes - there were no scratches or damage.

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
This is the problem I mentioned in backing into my storage slot. It takes a lot of space to get the head to swing over to start the turn and a lot of space to get the head to swing to the other side to get the trailer straightened out after the turn. I have it pretty much down to a ritual now, but it is still not fun.

Just hope that you never have to back the trailer a long distance with a PPP. When my GPS took me down a road into a cotton field, I had to back about 1/4 mile. With the stinger in the receiver, I could not clamp the head and no matter how careful I was, the trailer would take off for the bushes after a short distance and I would have to pull forward to recenter the hitch. It was not fun.
Good to know this...it could put the PP out of the running for me when we obtain an Airstream. I suppose there is not any way to "latch" the setup when in reverse so this could not happen - maybe a future design?? Not familiar enough to know if this is even feasible to stop a swivel when backing.
kb7our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Please say more about backing with the Hensley/PP. I had not heard of this being an issue.

Warren Smathers

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TarheelTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Interesting comment on backing. Longest I think I have done was about 1/2 mile. Slow and easy. Didn't have any problems. Combination of the side mirrors and the Voyager backup camera. Take your time and don't hurry. Generally if the head is off to one side it will stay there unless you make a major direction change.

When I back into a parking space head is usually off to one side or the other. Simply pull ahead a couple of feet, reverse with the wheel hard cranked over and back up a couple of feet. Usually gets it aligned again so that I can get the jack down between the tension bars.

It does help with a backup camera on the truck. I added pieces of white tape. Top of stinger, down the slope piece and then on the center of the head. Easy to see the alignment in the truck rear view camera. Also helps with alignment on backing into the head.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This backing problem is something we have not experienced and we travel a lot. It just shifts to one side (barely noticeable) and stays there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
I back up around our cul de sac
just for fun.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #64

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've got about 140,000 of towing three different Airstreams with the same Hensley. I have never thought that there was any backing problem.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started our Airstream experience with A Hensley Arrow on the 25FB behind the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI. The car had been to CanAm and the stinger was both shortened and bent to preload the weight distribution bars. After getting the trailer loaded for camping, the numbers were bad and we got a new stinger to connect to the Dodge 2500HD.

I installed a ProPride (second generation Hensley design) on our Classic which happily follows the Dodge.

The Hensley has rested in a storage unit. Now it is being revived to couple a 23' Airstream behind the Mercedes.

There is really quite an operational difference between the two designs. The PP is easier to use in my opinion, but the HaHa was already in my stock with all new fittings.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTrvlr View Post
Please say more about backing with the Hensley/PP. I had not heard of this being an issue.

Warren Smathers

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

I've never owned anything else so I have nothing to compare this with. But backing up with the ProPride is best done slowly. I think because there's about 2 feet from the rear bumper to the ball and a trapezoid "box" that changes shape as you turn, you need to go slowly so that box doesn't "collapse" and swing the back end quickly - and then you need to catch up quickly by steering in the other direction.

Go slowly enough and you can see the back end of the trailer moving in the direction you want and then gentle inputs to the steering wheel and you're fine. If really twisted up, pull up a couple feet and come back. It's all good :-)

I did get out once and take a bow after the show I put in backing in at a site 😄

Folks I travel with who have different hitches tell me it's different. So I guess you can get used to anything. My main goal is for the sway prevention going forward.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
I back up around our cul de sac
just for fun.

😄😄

I literally just got the gumption to try going FORWARD around my cul de sac a few weeks ago!! I always wondered whether there would be enough room but was too chicken to try it (this is our 3rd year with it &#128515.

Works perfectly and is going to be life changing for us 😄

Just hope folks don't park their cars in the street there 😳
Old 07-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am not totally familiar with PP but I have been noodling this backing issue for a few days. I have a HAHA and I know if you don't have the struts under a goodly amount of compression, forcing the ball into the front of the coupler, and keeping the upper head half rigidly in place, you can have slop or side to side motion of the upper head half. I can see where backing in that scenario could cause side to side motion in both halves of the head. That could definitely cause squirrelly backing.

I think that adjustment is in the yoke on a PP?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I am not totally familiar with PP but I have been noodling this backing issue for a few days. I have a HAHA and I know if you don't have the struts under a goodly amount of compression, forcing the ball into the front of the coupler, and keeping the upper head half rigidly in place, you can have slop or side to side motion of the upper head half. I can see where backing in that scenario could cause side to side motion in both halves of the head. That could definitely cause squirrelly backing.

I think that adjustment is in the yoke on a PP?
You are right Rich, the yoke controls that on the PP, but it's fixed, nonadjustable, assuming it doesn't slip. My experience with the hitch was it functioned in reverse just like it did in forward, as far as swinging to either side is concerned.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, so how does one keep the ball "compressed" into the front of the coupler with a PP?

And ensure it is "square" and rigid with the A-frame?

And...I've never had a backing issue with a properly adjusted PPP hitch. HAHA in my case.