Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Until someone or organization actully does a legitimate and unbiased test and review off all the WD systems currently on the market we will never know the true pluses or minuses of each system. Unfortunetly that is never going to happen because like here there are personal agendas that must be weeded out before the truth can ever surface. Repeating the same old arguments and urban myths will never make them true.
I agree with this. I am not here to flame any person or any hitch but I agree that everything I have read sounds like something parroted from a sales brochure. Are they different, absolutely. Are they good, I am sure that they are but when you look at say, the body of anecdotal evidence as presented by hundreds of posts, other hitches measure up very well.

This is a forum where people post opinions and this is what we get. I am with AWCHIEF and would really be interested in an unbiased study conducted by industry engineers. I don't have one simply because when I set up our Airstream I couldn't afford one. I have towed tens of thousands of miles with my set up and I can offer up lots of anecdotes about how well mine has performed. High winds, mountain passes up and down, passing semis and a panic lane change. By the logic of some posts this would make mine the best hitch out there. I don't think it is and that is why I would love to see AWCHIEF's suggestion come to pass.

Peace to all.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
...but I agree that everything I have read sounds like something parroted from a sales brochure...

...I have towed tens of thousands of miles with my set up and I can offer up lots of anecdotes about how well mine has performed. High winds, mountain passes up and down, passing semis and a panic lane change. By the logic of some posts this would make mine the best hitch out there...
Thank you for your post

Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I just finished a 3500 mile trip with a recently installed Pro Pride. I can't praise the hitch enough. High winds, crazy curvy roads, speeding semis. Not an issue with the PP. Anecdotal evidence I know. But I also know that my old Equal-I-Zer is not going back on. No comparison in the towing experience.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Newbie here.

Wife is wanting an AS badly. I'll get a new pickup out of the deal.

I will most likely use a WD hitch. The TT she wants is a 25' FC; I will likely go with a 3/4 ton truck as the TV. We have zero towing experience.

Great thread for me, as I've been looking at Propride and the HA. These Propride WD hitches, are they generally available to AS dealers? It would be a plus if the dealer we bought the AS at could also install the hitch.

Rich

Depending upon your own 'mechanical ability", you CAN install the PP yourself. It is 'heavy'... but not 'hard'. Take careful measurements and set up the hitch...

After running ours, I made some 'tweaks' to the adjustments... guess what? I found I could better balance loads with those adjustments! This allowed me to 'balance' load across the 3 axles on our 34' AS and apply 'weight distribution' to the TV!

Next is 'handling' improvement... yes, you can tow by simply hooking up the AS to your TV... but, you will not be having any fun...

Been there, done that....

So, just go watch Youtube video for a simple, visual explanation of how it works... https://youtu.be/v2otJAgYiTo

There are other videos about towing and the benefits of other types/designs... take a few hours and poke around...

you will find your experience is YOUR experience... that's part of 'Streamin. Load up on intel... ask questions... apply that knowledge.. have fun!
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
How heavy is a PP all told??? Is it really that much more than an equal-I-zer?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
How heavy is a PP all told??? Is it really that much more than an equal-I-zer?
Shipping weight of 230 pounds.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I had a ProPride for several tens of thousands of miles, and really liked it. However, there are a couple of cons that have not been mentioned.

A couple of times I had to unhitch in a site where the front wheels of the tow vehicle were on a higher part of the road (trailer low in the front, TV low in the rear), and it caused a situation where I could not reinsert the stinger to get re-hitched. Both times it required disconnecting the jacks from the bars.

The last con for me, and the one that caused me to sell the ProPride was a delay in the application of the trailer brakes, first from a faulty Dodge Ram brake controller, and later electric over hydraulic disc brakes, which on fast application of the truck brakes would cause the PP yoke to slip, loose adjustment, which necessitated finding a large parking lot to readjust everything. I ruined the "U" bolts holding the yoke in place on one trip from readjusting and over tightening in an effort to stop the problem. Sean was gracious enough to send me new "U" bolts and hardware, but the hitch continued to slip.

YMMV
Old 07-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

......."The key is to match the height of the receiver with the height of the stinger and adjust the receiver laterally so the stinger can go straight in. Also, make note of the height of the receiver above the ground when it matches the stinger's height".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Hensley and a B/U camera.

The camera is rarely used anymore, a set of Hitch'n Rods for side to side and an O' ring for vertical, has made the hook-up much easier.

Bob
Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
This is a helper that I made to use when hooking up to get proper alignment, horizontally as well as right to left, before final hook up.

>>ron<<
Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Nice alignment tool Ron. I can see that when the stinger is aligned with it, it's a really simple matter of backing in. One cannot emphasize alignment of stinger and hitch head enough for ease of hitching up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have used a PPP for about 4 years now. I installed it myself ay 79 years old with no problems. I have towed on I-10 with no problems in red flag conditions when the semis were parked.

The only downside I see in the hitch is the fact that starting a turn in reverse and straightening out a turn in reverse is very slow and takes considerable distance. I store the trailer in a yard with a building close and opposite my slot. It takes some finesse to start the turn just right and get the trailer straight again to enter my slot. It was much easier with both my prior hitches.

Several months ago, I pulled into a tight little farm road intending to back out and turn around. There were fence posts close to the road a little way off the main road. It took me a long time and many tries to get the trailer backed through that gate and it required me to get out and fold my mirrors on one side and then the other before I was able to back out on the road. It would have been much easier with a conventional hitch.

Backing the trailer for a considerable distance is also a pain since the trailer constantly wants to wander.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
My hitch weight on my 2008 Classic is already pretty heavy; 1100lbs to 1200lbs. My Tundra is probably over payload once hitched up and I get the two of us onboard plus the camping items in the truck bed. Is the Propride too heavy for my application?

Kelvin
Old 07-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin, that's why we use a good weight distribution hitch. Is 100 lbs distributed among four axles the straw that breaks your camel's back? If it is, move some heavy gear forward in the truck bed and aft in the Airstream. You probably should anyway to get down to Airstream's 1,000 lb hitch weight maximum.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Important to note the difference between 'hitch weight' & 'tongue weight'.

Bob