Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
ProPride P3, my "seat of the pants" impressions...

Hi folks,

Please know that I am not an expert on this stuff and I am a newbie to the Airstream world. My last camping vehicle was a 5th wheel.

I won't go into weights and other scientific/engineering aspects of the subject, as I know this is well covered by experienced folks on this forum. Besides, I'd get it wrong and confuse even myself. LOL

TV=2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max, Limited.

RV=2007, 25' Airstream Classic Limited F/B. I bought the Airstream about a year ago and then a short time later I purchased a new ProPride P3.

We have been on a couple of short trips around my State and about this time last year... we left for a 30 day vacation traveling a bit over 6,000 miles going through 6 states. We traveled just about any road/towing conditions one might expect to experience, although other than a bit of wind, the weather was great. We plan an even longer trip this year and are due to leave in mid August.

Those miles were absolutely trouble free with the PPP. The trailer towed like a dream. Not once did we experience any sway, NONE.

The first couple of times we hooked up, it's seemed to be a pain, but that quickly changed as soon as we paid close attention to the hookup instructions....duh.

This thing hooks up quickly, the first time, every time and it's easy...so easy that this Caveman can do it. I can hookup by myself with ease, but I find it even easier when I enlist the help of "yes dear".

Fast reverse in time: It should have taken me less than an hour to install and setup the PPP. I had trouble, I got frustrate and I called Sean T. Woodruff. He was fantastic. This guy truly cares about his customers and is very proud of his product. I think I interrupted his personal life about 4 separate occasions. Each time he gave me all the attention I needed. On one of those occasions he was at a ball game with his kid(s). Talk about customer relations!!

I have no regrets and I'd buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

I can't really compare PPP to haha, but I can tell you one observation I made while we were on our trip. On the Oregon coast we had occasion to camp next to an Airstream being towed with an haha. Of course the good fellow and I enjoyed talking about Airstreams off and on for a couple of days. He has owned Airstream trailers for a few years and he had his 3 year old haha on his new Airstream.

He wanted to know everything I could tell him about the PPP, as mine was the first he had ever seen. He was very interested in any possible difficulty with hookup. I showed him how mine hooked up... with one try. It wasn't until the next morning that I understood why this guy was so impressed.

I was still in bed when he was getting ready to take off. I watched him hookup. OMG, this poor gentleman made at least 12 trips from his truck cab to the hitch before he was finally successful. I kept thinking that he was going to get it any minute or I would have gotten dressed to go help him.

His wife didn't help him much and I don't know if he had a rear camera like my truck does. The camp pad was level concrete, new and with a clear approach.

Had it taken me 12 trips, I would have tossed that hitch on the beach and scooted the trailer down the road using a tow strap--- yes, hyperbole. LOL.

Perhaps that fellow just hasn't put in the time to get the hang of it, but he should.... because what he was doing sure didn't look like fun.

Notable wear and tear: Not much. There is a bit of rust where the paint has been chipped off, but it's nothing I can't quickly fix with a rattle can of paint. Even the areas that are powder coated on my Harley needs touched up from time to time. At about a thousand miles, in extremely hot weather, I found it necessary to shoot more grease onto the ball, but that was it for the rest of the trip.

Please know that I am not trying to start a debate. I've read many good reports by owners of the haha.

Anyway, I sure love my hitch.

---Mr. Sean T. Woodruff, thank you so very much.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Don't worry.... haha,ppp.... we're nice to each other.

Glad your first trip was a success....
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
There have been some definite improvements with the 3P hitch.

Get a pair of hitching balls - makes hook up a snap! My wife isn't even involved in the hitching.

Two-Balls-and-Sticks Hitch Aligner Reese Hitch Accessories 53410
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
what is it that makes the ppp easier? I thought both kinds were similar in that respect.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Sean explains it this way....

"As for the hitching up comments, the 3P has a greater angle in the hitch box and on the hitch bar. This makes the opening of the hitch box about 1/2" wider. The hitch box has also been reinforced so there is no warping of the upper edge of the box. In my 10 years with the orange company I answered hitching and unhitching questions almost daily. In a little over a year with my new company, and close to 500 hitches on the road, I have had 3 phone calls about hitching or unhitching."
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
THANK YOU very much, Gator (I do know his real name but I'm not sure what forum etiquette dictates in addressing posts )

Also, the easier hitching has been the single most commented on feature from customers who formerly owned the Arrow and now own the 3P.

1. The greater angles around the hitch box help. 14 degree angles rather than 12 degree angles.

2. The section of the hitch bar inserting into the hitch box is also shorter so there isn't as much length to get jammed against the hitch box side wall. A smaller opening, less angle and longer bar with the Arrow requires a much more precise lining up of the bar and the hitch box.

You can think of it his way...

Backing a 25' Airstream into a spot that narrows from 12' to 8' in the last 4 feet of travel...

Is A LOT easier than...

Backing a 34' Airstream into a spot that narrows from 10' to 8' in the last 6 feet of travel.

3. The 3P hitch boxes have all four sides that are laser cut and matched together perfectly in the corners. This leaves no uneven corners to hang up the hitch bar.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
There have been some definite improvements with the 3P hitch.

Get a pair of hitching balls - makes hook up a snap! My wife isn't even involved in the hitching.

Two-Balls-and-Sticks Hitch Aligner Reese Hitch Accessories 53410
I'm in the market for a new set.
How well do these function when it's a little windy outside?
I don't remember the brand I have but, a 5-10mph wind knocks them off their spots.
I'd be interested in how these Reese ones perform in minor wind conditions.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
These don't have any balls....they won't blow in the wind.

The Reeses' kind'a look like foam balls on a radio antenna.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
They are probably all the same just rebranded with the Reese name. The magnets on the ones I have are very strong.

One other note - I was using these over the weekend and the foam ball pulled off the end so they are a bit fragile. My opinion is changing a bit on these. In theory they work well but I don't think they will last very long.
I may take the magnetic bases and make up something myself when these eventually break.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Good ideas:
Taking Robert Cross's idea of no ball and your input, I think a couple of old magnetic cb antenas might be a good mix, just put on a colorful tip.
I'm going to search the garage. Bet I have at least one in there somplace.
Some type of aligning method is always helpful. Once I had a mirror that attached to the tailgate but that proved to be troublesome in windy conditions too.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
One other note - I was using these over the weekend and the foam ball pulled off the end so they are a bit fragile. My opinion is changing a bit on these. In theory they work well but I don't think they will last very long.
Well, pulling on the metal antenna instead of the ball itself will help with that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2012 25' FB International
Anchorage , Alaska
Great write-up for something my wife and I just found out that we need. Was back in Michigan the past few weeks and had a chance to swing by Woodland RV in Grand Rapids. These guys are pros at what they say and do. Anyway, came to find out we also need a Hensley or ProPride hitch to compensate for the light tongue weight our 30' front kitchen Airstream has. Have been using too heavy a load leveling bar without the cam style of receiver....Heck, if you don't know, how do you find out?
My reason for posting this comment is, can I assume that the 3P hitch is light-years ahead of what Hensley is now building? Am also using a Tundra to tow with and am looking at taking an extended vacation next Summer. Other comments, suggestions would be dearly appreciated...
Pat
bpcaudill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Assume,

No....but I'm biased.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcaudill View Post
My reason for posting this comment is, can I assume that the 3P hitch is light-years ahead of what Hensley is now building?
Yes, you can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Assume,

No....but I'm biased.

but my assumption bias is different from Bob's...

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Yes, you can...

but my assumption bias is different from Bob's...

-
SW has always been a straight shooter, BANG!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My reason for posting this comment is, can I assume that the 3P hitch is light-years ahead of what Hensley is now building?

"Light years" is pushing it. But the advances are good enough that I'm still ticked off that the PP came out just months after I bought an H/A. And learned it's shortcomings. The tilt head alone makes the PP worthwhile (over buying a used H/A).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote