Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Propride hits the market

Got my Propride Hitch Today. Looks real clean and well made. Powder Coat is flawless (white speckel in pic is pacling material dust) I plan on installing late this week or on the weekend.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366_1_1.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	61121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367_2_1.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	61122  

Name:	IMG_0368_3_1.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	61123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369_4_1.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	61124  

TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Keep us posted on your new ProPride (& post some pics once set up!), Jim. We're considering one or a Hensley...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
That's great, Jim! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. Post some pics when you have it installed...or better yet document the installation process!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
As soon as I get going on this I will post updates. ...
Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #5

1989 34' Excella
wilmington , Delaware
3P Propride Hitch

I've done a ton of research on all brands of W/D hitches, but I did finally decide on the 3P due to the design improvements over the Hensley(HAHA). We just installed our 3P hitch last night. It took about 3 hours with 2 people doing the install. I'd recommend 2 to do the install. The fit was very good although the new paint made a couple of parts a bit tight to install although it wasn't an issue. There were no issues, with any missing pieces or fit of any sort. It came with a double ended wrench to tighten the spring bars, a socket and and extension bar for the hitch bolts. It has 8 line bolts, nice welds, and nice hard paint. I got the extender kit, and now I want to replace the old chains that I have to look as good as the new ones. It was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how the thing really works. We're putting never seize on all bolts just in case and going back over the bolts with torque limiting extensions tonight. Still unsure of how much pressure is needed on the spring bars, but we'll do that tonight too. Think I might call Sean to triple check torque on them. I'm please to say that there were no modifications required to do the install. We're taking a 4500 mile or (with new 16 inch rims and new Michelin L/T tires, 225/75/16, and I've done more research on rims and tire too so let me know if you need any info on them) so round trip leaving soon and will be back late June so more details to come on towing, sway, turning, and backing functionality. BTW, I placed the order for the hitch a couple of months ago and have a trip deadline to meet and Sean Woodruff got the thing shipped in no time. It reached us in 2 days, packed in 4 boxes. I did have a question about the pivot pin placement when doing the install, but he provided his cell phone number and in about 20 seconds he walked me though finding the hole that was right in front of my face...it was actually drilled horizontally into the 2x2 hitch bar that fits into the TV. He is very responsive and helpful, thanks again Sean.
owheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How is this different from the Hensley? What's changed in the design?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You guys are going to have to start "The ultimate PP users guide" like the one for the HAHA.
Hope the hitch is all you expected and more. They sure look nice.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
How is this different from the Hensley? What's changed in the design?
From posts on AIR, my impression is that the Hensley patent expired a few years back. The Pro-Pride evidently duplicates the dynamics of the Hensley. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ach-37994.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2
Got my Propride Hitch Today. Looks real clean and well made. Powder Coat is flawless (white speckel in pic is pacling material dust) I plan on installing late this week or on the weekend.

Jim

Man those boxes take a BEATING!

I have the "Sealed Air" rep coming in next week to get the foam in place packaging to see if that will help the box beatings.

Glad to hear you like the Powder Coat. Had a guy tell me he actually dropped the main unit from about 3 feet onto concrete and it didn't even chip it!

Heard another first today too. A dealer installed a hitch for a customer on a new trailer. The customer didn't look at it, and the dealer didn't talk to him about it, and towed all the way home with the over-center-latches not latched on the hitch bar!
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by owheely
I've done a ton of research on all brands of W/D hitches, but I did finally decide on the 3P due to the design improvements over the Hensley(HAHA). We just installed our 3P hitch last night. It took about 3 hours with 2 people doing the install. I'd recommend 2 to do the install. The fit was very good although the new paint made a couple of parts a bit tight to install although it wasn't an issue. There were no issues, with any missing pieces or fit of any sort. It came with a double ended wrench to tighten the spring bars, a socket and and extension bar for the hitch bolts. It has 8 line bolts, nice welds, and nice hard paint. I got the extender kit, and now I want to replace the old chains that I have to look as good as the new ones. It was a bit of a learning curve to figure out how the thing really works. We're putting never seize on all bolts just in case and going back over the bolts with torque limiting extensions tonight. Still unsure of how much pressure is needed on the spring bars, but we'll do that tonight too. Think I might call Sean to triple check torque on them. I'm please to say that there were no modifications required to do the install. We're taking a 4500 mile or (with new 16 inch rims and new Michelin L/T tires, 225/75/16, and I've done more research on rims and tire too so let me know if you need any info on them) so round trip leaving soon and will be back late June so more details to come on towing, sway, turning, and backing functionality. BTW, I placed the order for the hitch a couple of months ago and have a trip deadline to meet and Sean Woodruff got the thing shipped in no time. It reached us in 2 days, packed in 4 boxes. I did have a question about the pivot pin placement when doing the install, but he provided his cell phone number and in about 20 seconds he walked me though finding the hole that was right in front of my face...it was actually drilled horizontally into the 2x2 hitch bar that fits into the TV. He is very responsive and helpful, thanks again Sean.

Thanks for the kind words, Carl.

You'll get the feel for the weight distribution when you get the whole rig on the road. You can start with them at their maximum and back them down if your ride is too stiff.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Propride Install

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	61758

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	745.7 KB
ID:	61760

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	61762

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	61763

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	929.9 KB
ID:	61764

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	802.1 KB
ID:	61765

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	868.8 KB
ID:	61766

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	61767
Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Propride Install

Note that on our 31 we hade to take out the pop rivits that hold a bracket, connecting the gas line to the frame in order to install one of the U bolts. We simply used a heavy duty Zip tie to re secure the line to the and it worked fine. It is only necessary to take the rivits out on the forward bracket. We used the industrial size zip and attached to the cross bar which supports the yoke....works fine. Any feedback would be appreciated in terms of the install. What do you guys think,,,does the install look close? Thanks! Jim
Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
I think it looks great... good job!

That line has always been in the way of getting anything up on the bottom of the frame on the Airstream. You can also bend the hose clamp down a bit to get something between the line and the frame.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ya with our measurements we were right on top of the airstream connection point with the clamp that attached the gas line. So we just opted to give things a little more flex room and tie it in with a heavy zip. Someone elses measurements and a slightly different connection point by airstream and it could have been accomodated with a bend. Each situation I think will be slightly different. All in all the install wasn't difficult. Now I want to get some time on this baby abd I will let you guys know....just took it down the road a few miles tonight. So far so good. Jim

PS Boy that wiring situation to the break away is really stupid the way the tank cover crimps down on the wiring. I'm getting some heavy rubber pieces of something under there to give it a bit of breathing room. You would think with new units off the line ....this nagging little issue would have been resolved by now.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up nice install details

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2 View Post
. Any feedback would be appreciated in terms of the install. What do you guys think,,,does the install look close? Thanks! Jim
Great detail picts. Tnx. Looks good. Don't forget to cross your chains.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
It's a handsome looking unit, almost like it was styled for A/S use. Looking forward to reading about the longer range tow "feel" feedback.

Though the design is the evolution of Hensley's original, there don't seem to be major visible differences, other than the bracing running under the gas tanks, and shorter struts holding the main assembly. Am I missing others?

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As a point of comparison, how far is the truck moved forward from the front of the trailer body compared to the original hitch? (Mine, on an S/S, not A/S, is now at 64").

I copied off a few of those pictures so as to compare to the H/A I have, (still need to get W/D correct), and am, of course, curious to hear all that you'll have to say about the hitch.

It certainly looks good, and I like what I see of adjustment possibilities.

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Very Interesting!

Looks like a Hensley on steroids! I guess the market has changed.....
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #19
_

. , .
hi jim...

-cross the chains and run them INSIDE and under the springbars...

-put a lock of some sort in he trailer tongue cup latch...

-reroute the 7 pin umbilical to the other side and OVER the top...

-the cable/wire for the break-away should really be looped onto something OTHER than the reciever....

-consider putting a dab of paint on EVERY nut/bolt on the stinger and frame brackets,

this will make any movement/slippage easier to see..

-how level is the trailer once connected? it sorta looks nose high in the last pic...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Jim! Great install pics. The first time I've seen one in the wild! Ditto 2air's points above. Also, you won't need much extra slack in the umbilical and breakaway wires. Too much and they can get caught on something.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote