Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
ProPride hitch use when storage firm needs to move trailer

I am considering storing our soon to arrive Eddie Bauer 25 at a location where they will occasionally need to move the trailer from one spot to another (all on the same site -very short distances. i have worked with them in the past and the are very trustworthy. But, if I install a ProPride hitch, I am wondering how they can hook up and move it.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Excellent question! I confirmed with my dealer (same principle as storage site) that they understood the hitch (they have a new mechanic on staff who knows Hensleys) and understand how to hitch. I also confirmed that they had a truck with a 2.5" receiver (mine is not the 2") and they do. I left them with the stinger and associated hardware so they could move it as needed.

They usually use a forklift with a ball welded on it to move 99% of the other trailers in the shop. They could (I suppose) weld on to the forklift a 2" square stinger with hooks for the over center latches.

Alternatively, you could remove the PP and they can move it as they do with all the others.

Be sure to have that conversation in detail with them in advance. When I first picked up my trailer at the dealer, they moved it out of the bay (with the PP on the hitch) by putting that welded ball on their forklift under the PP head and trusted the weight would just hold it in place. They crushed one of the silver caps in the process and damn near gave me a heart attack!

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't even think of putting my Airstream in a storage yard where they will move it around. Would you hand your keys to a guy on the street and let him practice backing your new Eddie Bauer?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Constructive Suggestions to Original Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I wouldn't even think of putting my Airstream in a storage yard where they will move it around. Would you hand your keys to a guy on the street and let him practice backing your new Eddie Bauer?
Doug,

I'm sure the original poster is looking for constructive suggestions. We too have pondered this issue as we have a similar storage situation and have considered a Hensley or ProPride hitch. Since our homeowners' association covenants prevent us from storing the trailer at home, our local storage options were being in an enclosed storage warehouse with the possibility of the trailer being moved around the warehouse occasionally or being in an open to the elements storage lot where the parking space is only 10 feet wide. We opted for the enclosed storage. The warehouse is fenced and has an monitored security alarm system. We felt this was the best option. The open lot also has it own set of risks including limited security and the constant movement of other vehicles and people around your trailer. Neither scenario is perfect. I look forward to hearing suggestions from other forum members contributing to this thread.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Airstream Factory Service Center in Jackson Center has a neat rig to move Airstreams with Hensley hitches installed. They use small tugs (tractors) to move Airstreams from the campground to the service bays. The tugs have a 2 5/16" ball on the back. They have a Hensley hitch bar with a trailer coupler welded to the receiver end. They put their hitch bar into the Hensley and engage the over center latches. Then their tug hooks to the standard ball coupler, and off they go.

I have a Hensley and have seen them do this. I am quite sure that they have a similar device for a ProPride.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
At the indoor storage facility where we store our Airstream for the winter they understand that I have one of those strange hitches so they find me a spot where they will not need to move the trailer for the season. I'm usually one of the last in, and will be called to be one of the first out.

It means that I have to place the trailer in it's spot -which I don't mind. But it is tight maneuvering. It's easier with the forklift with the ball.

So you might explore this with your storage folks to see if they can make similar arrangements.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
Very helpful. Thank you.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The Airstream Factory Service Center in Jackson Center has a neat rig to move Airstreams with Hensley hitches installed. They use small tugs (tractors) to move Airstreams from the campground to the service bays. The tugs have a 2 5/16" ball on the back. They have a Hensley hitch bar with a trailer coupler welded to the receiver end. They put their hitch bar into the Hensley and engage the over center latches. Then their tug hooks to the standard ball coupler, and off they go.

I have a Hensley and have seen them do this. I am quite sure that they have a similar device for a ProPride.

Brian
We were at the Service Center a few weeks ago, they do not have a ProProde hitch bar but will ask you to put yours on the hitch, and they will use their tractor to move it.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We also store our Airstream in an indoor storage unit and the ProPride has posed problems. We dropped it off last year and the guy called and said he couldn't move it because of the hitch. My husband had to go and pull our unit into place and then in Spring he had to go move it out. Good luck.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
We also store our Airstream in an indoor storage unit and the ProPride has posed problems. We dropped it off last year and the guy called and said he couldn't move it because of the hitch. My husband had to go and pull our unit into place and then in Spring he had to go move it out. Good luck.
The good news here is a potential Airstream thief looking for a quick steal at the storage yard would be faced with the same problem.