Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Propride Hitch Mod to avoid Jack Post interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
That's interesting since I understand every trailer will have a different starting point on the jack. My jacks are 3" extended with the trailer unhitched. I read the Propride instructions carefully and he is saying when unhitching, the jacks may not lower entirely, they may be slightly extended.

So I have been reading these threads very confused. My jacks are 3" up at no load, then 8" fully loaded when hitched and ready to go. So I jack 5", but my jacks are 8" off the frame.

So I think it would be good to note how much jack you apply. Not how high your jacks are above the frame.

There is no "one" correct height for the WD jacks. It depends on several factors...TV, trailer weight, trailer length, etc. Each application will be different. I was only answering the poster's question as to where this measurement is. I have 30' Classic with a Ram 2500 4X4 and I run my jacks up to 5.5" to 6". If I feel like I'm porpoising a little, I'll stop and jack them up a little more. That measurement is from the top of the frame to the bottom of the jack post slider.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
There is no "one" correct height for the WD jacks. It depends on several factors...TV, trailer weight, trailer length, etc. Each application will be different. I was only answering the poster's question as to where this measurement is. I have 30' Classic with a Ram 2500 4X4 and I run my jacks up to 5.5" to 6". If I feel like I'm porpoising a little, I'll stop and jack them up a little more. That measurement is from the top of the frame to the bottom of the jack post slider.

Very true.

Also, where my jacks start varies, depending on the site. The angle of the TV vs. TT is different, meaning where my jacks are when they loosen to unhitch will change.

For me then, counting inches above the frame is a consistent metric when the trailer is on level ground.

As above, if I'm porpoising a bit, I stop and add a few turns. One does develop a feel after the first few dozen tow segments.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #23
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
How does one lock the trailer breaks?
archiedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
Another question. We have a 2017 30' Classic, towed with a F250 Crew Cab 2x2 gas burner. Once a ProPride is complete installed, do any of you experience ground clearance issues?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiedh View Post
Another question. We have a 2017 30' Classic, towed with a F250 Crew Cab 2x2 gas burner. Once a ProPride is complete installed, do any of you experience ground clearance issues?
I do not. However, I am very careful with entering/exiting my driveway and truck stops.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #26
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt.reyesfan View Post
I do not. However, I am very careful with entering/exiting my driveway and truck stops.

Thank you for your response.

Do you tow your Airstream with a ProPride hitch setup?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiedh View Post

I have a 2016 FC 30' Rear Queen, and tow with a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD with a ProPride hitch.

We've been on extended travel this year from a Florida since March. We also did 4 months full time in the same TT last summer, as well as several months in our 2016 FC 27' FB (same truck and hitch) in 2015.

In that time I've never had any clearance issues. This is from Tampa, to NJ, to London Ont, through the SW, Rocky Mountains, up to Astoria OR and back to Tampa over many months.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #28
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
I have a 2016 FC 30' Rear Queen, and tow with a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD with a ProPride hitch.

We've been on extended travel this year from a Florida since March. We also did 4 months full time in the same TT last summer, as well as several months in our 2016 FC 27' FB (same truck and hitch) in 2015.

In that time I've never had any clearance issues. This is from Tampa, to NJ, to London Ont, through the SW, Rocky Mountains, up to Astoria OR and back to Tampa over many months.

Thank you! [emoji4][emoji106]
Old 10-04-2017, 04:18 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Never any clearance problems with our ProPride. I just remove the foot when towing.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My jack foot has never been attached. It neatly falls off when I hook up and retract the jack. I stash in in the box in the TV until I need it again. If the foot is not there, it does not interfere.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Never any clearance problems with our ProPride. I just remove the foot when towing.
That's what I learned. Once I got rid of the OEM permanent jack foot, I never had another problem.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #32
AeroHead Aviation

2018 30' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
I am also having interference issues with the jack stand and WD bars. What is the best way to remove the jack stand foot pin? Does it unscrew, cut it off, slide out, etc.? What do you put in it's place when reinstalling the foot?
tjmartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmartini View Post
I am also having interference issues with the jack stand and WD bars. What is the best way to remove the jack stand foot pin? Does it unscrew, cut it off, slide out, etc.? What do you put in it's place when reinstalling the foot?
Mine just falls off....any time it wants to, and I'd rather it didn't...no fastener to hold it on, and its always been like that. I hitch up, retract the jack, and the foot is stored in the 'hitch and tools' box in the back of the TV. Yes, picking it up is on the hitching checklist (grin).

Some have a bolt inserted from the bottom of the foot, if nothing else is obvious like a cross-wise pin, or bolt holding it on, block up the tongue safely, or leave it hitched to the TV. Then fully retract the jack, and look at the underside of the foot, under all the dirt and 'stuff' on the bottom.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmartini View Post

There should be a pin through the jack leg and the foot held in by a cotter pin. Remove the cotter pin and the pin going through the leg after you’ve hitched up. As you retract the leg the foot will be left sitting on the ground. Reverse the process before you unhitch.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I got a paint stick and marked 6 3/4" on it and run the jack to that measurement. Seem a good place to start and will stop and add a turn or two or deduct a turn or two at times.. proper weight distribution is a moving target for sure with water in tanks, gray black etc.. amount of stuff in front of or behind axles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Very true.

Also, where my jacks start varies, depending on the site. The angle of the TV vs. TT is different, meaning where my jacks are when they loosen to unhitch will change.

For me then, counting inches above the frame is a consistent metric when the trailer is on level ground.

As above, if I'm porpoising a bit, I stop and add a few turns. One does develop a feel after the first few dozen tow segments.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #36
AeroHead Aviation

2018 30' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
There should be a pin through the jack leg and the foot held in by a cotter pin. Remove the cotter pin and the pin going through the leg after you’ve hitched up. As you retract the leg the foot will be left sitting on the ground. Reverse the process before you unhitch.
I was able to get back to my AS last weekend and verified this is actually true. There is a pin with a spring pin lock and multiple adjustment options. Thank you for pointing this out.
tjmartini is offline   Reply With Quote