Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Thanks everyone for all your concern and comments. I did notice a ripple on part of the hitch the day the hitch had been installed after I'd towed from Maine to Vermont. So that would indicate that the chains were incorrectly attached when the hitch was installed. However the stinger wasn't bent. On the entire trip I was very cautious about where I parked (a combination of Walmart and camp grounds with pull throughs and gas stations with wide turning radii).

I knew one of my weaknesses was a lack of mechanical know-how. I'm sorry it caused problems so early in my fulltiming/rving life. I'm feeling pretty disheartened. I'm worried that other parts of the hitch have also been damaged. I'm not sure where to have it checked out. Sean has seen a number of pictures and has advised me how to fix something he observed as out of alinement. Once I work through this, I know I'll regain my more positive attitude about this new life adventure. Yet again, you have all been so wonderful and supportive. Thanks, Annie

Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
How from the stated facts and photos here do some feel it warranted to categorize as "faulty"?

It seems highly important to establish if something is faulty - but just as important to determine if human error and the way the error occurred
There's nothing faulty, some are trolling, others don't like the ProPride/Hensley because they don't have one. If they did they would defend it, just like every other product we see discussed in these forums.

It's the flak we must fly through to carry on a decent discussion.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
picture of ripple

Hopefully I uploaded it correctly this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	199734  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
The beat goes on ...Gimme, gimme !

Nothing in this discussion indicates a problem with the hitch. It is apparent that "excessive force" and improper chain hook up was the cause of the bent stinger. A lesson learned in the "school of hard knocks" was taught and brought to the attention of all concerned. One knows that "education" has a price tag attached. Thank you for sharing your experience, we all have learned a valuable lesson.
I think that replacing the stinger at cost is a very nice "graduation" gift from Sean.
As for seeking a full refund for a faulty hitch, that would be a personal choice. I think that common sense and fairness might indicate that the demand would be without merit, but the beat goes on ........
Happy trails,
Chip
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #61

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I can't say personally had any bad experience with the hitches on a GMC Safari AWD van and two GMC trucks that we have owned, but have read of a lot of other folks that have!

Because of that, I try to remember to check the hitch welds on every trip we make, and would change to an aftermarket hitch if/when I ever see signs of developing problems.

Brian M.

I replaced the faulty OEM GM receivers with aftermarket Class IV receivers. They were a simple bolt-on that I was able to do myself. The local Chevrolet dealer offered to replace the cracked receiver under warranty, but I declined the offer as that would be replacing junk with more junk.

Here is a photo of a weld crack on one of the OEM GM receivers.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0897.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	199735  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #62
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
Annie,

There should also be evidence on whatever portion of the hitch that caused the deformation.
Is there an area on the head or section of the chains that also shows paint loss/damage?

It looks like the damage happened when turning sharply, forward or backing up. Is there anything unusual you can remember?

Where are you now? A U-Haul service center could ck it for you. Ask a local camper and the Campground host for recommendations.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am not sure, on the relatively long wheelbase of the Tundra, that you can turn sharp enough to reach the stop angle of the hitch head assembly. (85* I think on a PP)
I think that bind could only occur upon backing very sharply. Perhaps Sean could weight in on that???

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
I forgot to answer a question asked. Yes, they did add more chain and chains were very close to dragging.

I have no issue with Sean or the way he has handled everything. I appreciate that he has sold the replacement hitch at cost. Once I'm able to move on (I'm at a camp ground in Canton, TX), I'll find a uhaul or rv repair place to check out the hitch. Thanks, Annie
Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post

I'm having trouble with the pic perspective here. What are we looking at...from what angle? Why does, what I am assuming are the spring bars, one look like it is a larger diameter than the other? was this taken with the camera below the AS coupler looking straight down?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
The discussion in the attached thread may possibly be when Annie's stinger bend happened.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...lp-112518.html
Old 11-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Yes the posts are related.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
If it were mine, I would want a real close look at the trailer a-frame as well. I'm still having a hard time visualizing the stinger being the weak link in the chain of components here. And if it's not, then something else would seem to me to have to be tweaked.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #69
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There's nothing faulty, some are trolling, others don't like the ProPride/Hensley because they don't have one. If they did they would defend it, just like every other product we see discussed in these forums.

It's the flak we must fly through to carry on a decent discussion.
Just because I don't agree or don't own one doesn't make me a "troll"

If I thought I needed or just wanted a Propride hitch I'd own one.

I'm no engineer but I have rode my share of trains and I see the chain excuse causing the stinger to bend is just that a lame excuse....if I couldn't get a full refund I'd get the replacement parts and sell the hitch and cut my loses.

Another point...If she did jackknife the trailer to the point of bending the stinger I'd expect to see damage to the vehicle or the trailer.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #70
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
OK, I read all 69 posts. I have not lost one iota of confidence in my PP. Reading the instructions on how to set up the PP (and making sure i understand them) when I first got it was a big part of a successful ownership experience over more than 20,000 towing miles. While I'm not a mechanical or structural engineer, and having lifted that VERY heavy hunk of 2" steel many times, I'm betting a much too severe backing angle was the culprit.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote