Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #29
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Bob - yeah, I know a little something about that… I have them piled up in my shop. One of my guys was "tidying" up the other day and I caught him just in time before he was going to throw a pile of Arrow parts in the scrap bin. It was close...

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Wow, thank you

I have to thank Anniemaine, even in her misery, and this thread. I looked at mine and the chains were incorrect. My selling dealer set it up and I have just been using it, without reading the manual. Very bad on my part and not my usual approach. Now my chains are correct, no harm done. Thanks, Sean, as well.
Larry

Old 11-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Anniemaine, we realize this is one of your first attempts at using your new hitch with your new to you Airstream. Not sure who installed it, but usually the installation requires the Airstream chains to be lengthened so there is enough slack in them.

Did the installer add additional length to your trailer safety chains? Perhaps you could post a photo of the chains and hitch as installed. Too-short of chains improperly positioned outside the w.d. bars would seem to be a contributing factor to the amount of
bending damage of your hitch. At least, it would be good to ensure it is installed properly in the first place.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The safety chains that came OEM with our 2005 Safari 25FB were too long even when used with our Hensley Arrow. We had to shorten the safety chains by several links with a screw-on quick link
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas

Annie, do you still have the bent stinger? Did you look closely at the welds where the rear (bottom) portion of the stinger is welded to the vertical portion?

The image on the right above shows a ProPride stinger for which the rear (bottom) portion broke completely away from the vertical portion.

If the welds on your stinger failed on just one side, that could explain why the rear portion bent at an angle to the vertical portion but still is partially connected to the vertical portion.

Ron
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post

Annie, do you still have the bent stinger? Did you look closely at the welds where the rear (bottom) portion of the stinger is welded to the vertical portion?

The image on the right above shows a ProPride stinger for which the rear (bottom) portion broke completely away from the vertical portion.

If the welds on your stinger failed on just one side, that could explain why the rear portion bent at an angle to the vertical portion but still is partially connected to the vertical portion.

Ron
I talked to Sean at ProPride about this, if it could possibly be a weld fail failure because it did not look like a weld failure in Annie's photo. He replied that several parts of the hitch are bent, not broken, and sent me a side view of Annie's bent hitch to see. Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	199718  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yeah - that just looks bent. If a weld fail at that spot, wouldn't it snap right off?

Hope things are going better for you, Annie. Did you get the new stinger yet? Safe travels!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ron, hopefully no one was injured when that catastrophic failure took place. That would keep an office full of lawyers busy for a while.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I talked to Sean at ProPride about this, if it could possibly be a weld fail failure because it did not look like a weld failure in Annie's photo. He replied that several parts of the hitch are bent, not broken, and sent me a side view of Annie's bent hitch to see. Here it is
Doug, thanks for posting the photo. I agree it does not look like a weld failure.

It does look like there is a significant yaw-axis twist in the vertical bar which has the holes drilled in it. That twist was not apparent in the photo which Annie posted.

IMO, the twisting of that bar must have resulted from application of a very large pitch-axis torque such as might be caused by allowing the relative rotation of the upper and lower hitch units to reach the limit of approximately 83 degrees -- accompanied by a lack of slipping of the "frame bracket".

Also IMO, incorrect routing of the safety chains would not cause enough yaw-axis torque to twist the vertical bar.
Chain interference could cause a lateral load on the rear of the hitch head, but I doubt that could cause enough torque to twist the vertical bar.

Ron
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Frame bracket DID slip so it was not "accompanied by a lack of the slipping of the "frame bracket""

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 11-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #39
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
AWCHIEF - nope, no attorneys involved in the 1 in 8000+ hitch bars that is in the photo above.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I really want to know "Miss Annie's Story...

Not doubting.. Just dern kurious.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Yeah - that just looks bent. If a weld fail at that spot, wouldn't it snap right off?
Not necessarily.

Depending on how the loading was applied, if part of a weld failed, the yielding (bending) of the remaining intact structure could alleviate the overload and the bars could remain connected.

Many structural failures are a result of bending without breaking.

Ron
Old 11-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
In the cause and effect equation we are only seeing pictures of the effect. Hard to deduce exactly what happened by only examining the pieces that were damaged.

And I would certainly not conclude that there was a failure in this part. Nothing is broken - just bent from application of a considerable force.

One would need to understand what limited the motion of the head on the trailer. If it loses the ability to swivel for some reason then turning is going to cause something to bend...

If a chain were to get caught perhaps? A pinched link of the chain would be able to withstand considerable compressive forces...