Old 11-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm with Mojo on this one. Are you sure the head was not all the way to it's maximum swing travel (and more) when this occurred? Like a very sharp backing angle? I really struggle with the force of the chains only causing this.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #16
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
With all the research I did, I never ran across this critical issue. So I'm posting this warning to other newbies. My stinger is significantly bent and slightly twisted. Sean says it is because the chains were over the distribution bars rather than "between" them (meaning under, an illustration would have been helpful). Those buying a ProPride hitch, be aware that your chains are on correctly. I'm currently at a camp ground, waiting for UPS to deliver my new stinger. Annie
I hope you are getting a new stinger for free including expedited shipping.

Hard to believe they would blame a weak chain on this structural failure...I agree any one with or buying a Propride hitch beware.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

^
X2

The chains alone...I'd have to watch it happen to accept it.

I think it may be the chains holding the bars, keeping them from swinging clear when backing/turning. The bars then supplying most of the resistance.
In any case thats a lot of tension causing that stinger to deform like that.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Here are the hitch bar stresses with 2000# of tongue weight and 1000# of spring bar weight distribution.

As you'll see the bar does not come close to being overstressed even with 2000# of tongue weight.

The stress analysis results depicted in your image are for VERTICAL forces resulting from tongue weight and WD bar forces.

It is quite obvious that the bending of Annie's stinger is due to LATERAL forces rather than vertical forces.
Therefore, the image of the stress analysis has nothing to do with the stresses which resulted in the failure of Annie's stinger.

It would be interesting to see the analysis of a bar showing the magnitude of LATERAL force which would result in the yielding shown in Annie's photo.

If you knew the magnitude of forces required to cause the bending, it might give some insight as to what actually caused the excessive loading.

Ron
Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Bent stinger

Having towed for over forty years, my experience would indicate that to bend the stinger would be noticed by the driver. One would "feel" that something isn't happening as it should.
As to the thought that a free stinger should be supplied is totally ridiculous. The hitch was not used as directed !
Consequently, the repairs/replacement are the result of not following directions, so this one is a "no brainer".
I am aware that in this day and age personal responsibility is fading fast, and sometimes one needs to "MAN UP" and fix your own mistakes. This comment is directed at the good member that thought perhaps a free stinger was in order.
Ya'll have a good day now !

Chip
Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Ron - I don't have that analysis. However, a 2" bar under a vertical load has the same characteristics as a 2" bar under a horizontal load. It is quite obvious that the scale can be used to understand the magnitude of the load that must have been applied in order to bend the bar. I don't need to know the magnitude to glean any insight into what caused it. The load of the trailer and the tow vehicle caused it. I know you like to dance but I'm not going to dance with you on this. That will be the last I comment about the loads.

LFC - I'm not going to get into it with you about broken or bent parts. EVERY SINGLE COMPANY IN THE WORLD has broken or bent parts or there would be NO NEED for something called a warranty. A warranty covers broken or bent parts under NORMAL use. With 8000+ hitches on the road, and millions of miles towed, I think we have the hitch bar more than proven.

While I did not cover the entire cost of her new hitch bar I DID only charge her MY COST on the bar.

Chip - I couldn't agree with you more. Free health care anyone?
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
After looking more closely at her photos IT DOES appear the her yoke is also misaligned which would indicate that the hitch was up against the stop at some point.

Some of the above posts may also be correct that if the hitch head is up against the stop, and she continued to push the trailer, that load will bend something.

It that scenario, the chains AND the stop would be stopping the trailer from pivoting.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 11-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Maybe we could all turn the heat down a notch?

Sean - I'm not an engineer so it's hard for me to visualize how the chains on top of the bars could result in the damage shown in the original photo. Is there a way to "recreate" that visually, or at least describe how the chains could survive that much force as it seems (to this non-engineer) those would give well before a 2" square bar of steel would bend like that. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Steve - there are really only two ways to restrict the pivoting of the hitch head. That is the chains wrapped around the outside and the hitch pivoted to its 85 degree limit and up against the stop. The chains are the most obvious because that is the first thing I noticed when she texted the photos. It could have been a combination of both.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm not sure how the Pro Pride is designed, but I wonder if the shear bolts in the Hensley would have prevented this damage? (Unless someone has welded the brackets to the tongue and defeated the purpose of the shear bolts). Does the Pro Pride include some sort of similar arrangement?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks. And is there a layman's way to explain how the chains don't just sort of "explode" off the bars when under that much tension? I think I see what you're saying about how the chains prevent the pivot - that makes sense, just struggling to understand how they end up being stronger than the stinger in that scenario. Thanks for the explanation - this is important to understand!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #26
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I'm not sure how the Pro Pride is designed, but I wonder if the shear bolts in the Hensley would have prevented this damage? (Unless someone has welded the brackets to the tongue and defeated the purpose of the shear bolts). Does the Pro Pride include some sort of similar arrangement?

Brian
Arrow - The shear bolts would have sheared. The strut bar would have bent. The hole that the strut attaches to on the main orange hitch head would have ripped out to the trailer side.

ProPride - the frame bracket that holds the tail of the yoke will shift to the side. There are no shear bolts because there is no drilling into the frame to install the ProPride.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #27
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Thanks. And is there a layman's way to explain how the chains don't just sort of "explode" off the bars when under that much tension? I think I see what you're saying about how the chains prevent the pivot - that makes sense, just struggling to understand how they end up being stronger than the stinger in that scenario. Thanks for the explanation - this is important to understand!
The only way I can explain it is that it didn't happen. I don't know the actual grade of chain they use but I'd bet it is enough to hold a 10,000#+ trailer should it come off the hitch ball. I think Airstream would probably use the same chain on every unit and the 34' would be the heaviest.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Arrow - The shear bolts would have sheared. The strut bar would have bent.

ProPride - the frame bracket that holds the tail of the yoke will shift to the side. There are no shear bolts because there is no drilling into the frame to install the ProPride.

^
X2

From the haha manual....FAQ's

Question: Can I weld the frame brackets onto the trailer frame instead of using the U- Bolts?
Answer: We Do Not Recommend it. The frame brackets are designed to slide when too much force is put on them from the strut bars. If the brackets don’t slide then it’s possible for the strut bar to be damaged.

Notice no mention of a bent stinger...that was a LOT of force.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote