Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Belmont , California
Propride 3 dealer install

I am getting ready to purchase our first Airstream Intl 19'.
The dealer said they would install PP 3 for ?1,250.
This includes the anti sway option.
That seem like a fair deal?

I may want to get the anti sway option install on paper as I thought that option is more than that..

Don
djpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't think so unless they charge $625/hr. the manual says it should take 2 hours and Sean makes himself available by phone if they have any questions. I would suggest having them call Sean first and then tell you how many hours it will take. I settled on 4 hours with my dealer. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
That is price of PP? Over price for install only. Depends on your skill set tho.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Belmont , California
This is not only the brake controller but the anti sway,etc.

I am supposed to just drive up and it all slips into my 2"receiver.
I have seen the entire assembly for $2,300 on the Propride site.
I guess I need to have the dealer send me a picture or part number to confirm what it includes.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I think the price your were quoted is outrageous. Even if they've never installed one they should be able to do it in 3 hours, MAX. I'll be you could find a PP owner in your area who would do it (or help you do it) for 1/3 that amount. AND, Sean is only a call away if you have a question!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpierce View Post

I may want to get the anti sway option install on paper as I thought that option is more than that..

Don
The Propride hitch is a no-sway hitch with weight distribution as the standard design. There is no anti-sway option. Is this dealer quoting you $1250 for the labor to install the hitch? What are they charging you for the hitch itself?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Don
No, that does not sound like a good deal. FWIW, the PP3 is an anti-sway hitch system, there is no anti-sway option. I wonder if the dealer has ever seen one. In any case, if you are able to do the work yourself, I would strongly recommend it. You will then be familiar with the hitch and better understand how it works. You should have no problem cautiously towing a 19 foot trailer home from the dealer with a bare ball hitch only.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Sean told me that most buyers of the PP do a self install and it is not all that complicated and he makes himself available via his cell to help...so im told by him.

We spoke about how long he thinks it will take the dealer to install...he said if they have never done them, it could take perhaps 4 hours ish....reasonable hourly rate for that IMO ranges 35-55 per hour....anything more than 200-400 bucks I would just do the install myself....

I played hardball on this...told them that more than 300 bucks install cost I would just install it myself....they came down to 300 and took that money...

If they have done these a bunch of times before it will take less than 1-2 hours sean tells me....ask sean if he has dealt much with that dealer.....this will let you know how much to expect...just talk with sean and I think he will let you know how much is too much and how much you should choose a threshold for self install.....

if they are charging you 1250 for total for cost of hitch and install then that is a good deal...really good.....if 1250 for the install alone its rape.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Took a little over four hours to install it myself. Could of gone faster with another pair of hands. Removing and replacing the propane is a paiin.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Most dealers charge in the area of 100 dollars per hour. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
No, that does not sound like a good deal. FWIW, the PP3 is an anti-sway hitch system, there is no anti-sway option. I wonder if the dealer has ever seen one. In any case, if you are able to do the work yourself, I would strongly recommend it. You will then be familiar with the hitch and better understand how it works. You should have no problem cautiously towing a 19 foot trailer home from the dealer with a bare ball hitch only.

Ken
^
X2

The install will give invaluable knowledge on the working and maintenance requirements of the hitch.

Bob
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Are you sure it is a ProPride hitch? And not a Reese Pro Series hitch, with sway control? The Pro Series hitch with sway control should cost no more than $400, and installation should take an hour, tops.
Either way, that price doesn't make sense.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:

Don
That's insane
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
This is not only the brake controller but the anti sway,etc.

I am supposed to just drive up and it all slips into my 2"receiver.
I have seen the entire assembly for $2,300 on the Propride site.
I guess I need to have the dealer send me a picture or part number to confirm what it includes.
There seems to be confusion on terminology.

The Tekonsha P3 brake controller controls your trailer brakes electrically. The only relationship to sway control is if you have a sway condition, and you can react fast enough, you may be able to apply trailer brakes to stop the sway. Probably a couple hundred dollars installed, depending on existing wiring.

The ProPride 3P (Projected Pivot Point) hitch is an expensive but highly effective mechanical sway elimination hitch that also has a function to redistribute trailer tongue weight to the front of the tow vehicle and somewhat less to the trailer axles. Probably $2500 - $3000 installed.

Your dealer price quote doesn't seem to relate to either one of these, but one of them seems to be the topic of discussion. Would you ask him exactly what he is talking about installing?

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Don
What did your dealer say? Don't leave us all hanging like this...
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Belmont , California
Sorry for all the questions. We actually found a better deal so I do not have to deal with the dealer. We bought a Bambi Intl CCD 19' fro a couple in Reno. He delivered to our driveway near San Francisco. What a great Airstream owner. Hope to meet more Airstream owners like that!
Thanks for your comments.