Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
North augusta , South Carolina
Pro pride wt distribution jacks

Looking at purchasing a pro pride for our 27 flying cloud fb. Am wondering if the wt distribution jacks block or limit access to the front storage compartment?
Medjrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medjrd View Post
Looking at purchasing a pro pride for our 27 flying cloud fb. Am wondering if the wt distribution jacks block or limit access to the front storage compartment?
Yes, it can! I was also concerned about the issue and after measuring the distances required to mount, I found out the rear bracket will interfere with opening the door. The good news is that By moving the bracket forward just a small amount, it allowed my door to open 90% and acceptable to me. Hitch still functions as designed.

Go ahead and get one. You will love it!!!

I'm not at my trailer right now but will try to get pictures for you later.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida

The front storage door on our 27fb twin does hit the ProPride jack stands before it’s fully open, but it’s never bothered us. We keep pretty light, easy to handle stuff up there anyway, so no problems with access.

The quality of towing with the PPP hitches is so much better than anything else we’ve ever had that it makes the fb door issue a non-issue. Our coach connected to our properly configured 1/2 ton handles like it is welded together. No shimmy, no effect from passing trucks’ bow wave, nothing. Yes they’re expensive. Find a deal on a used one if you can, learn how to set it up and use it, and rock on.

Hope this helps.
Name:   Image1522509087.940917.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:   Image1522509099.337942.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  95.8 KB
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

From the looks of it, you could move the jacks forward a little bit, maybe an inch or less to make it easier. The jacks don’t need to be dead vertical above the ends of the WD bars. Mine are a bit to the rear to partially clear the propane tank cover. It still works fine. I have a battery box just at the front of the shell between the A-frame legs just to add to the fun.

Yup, I flat won’t tow without a ProPride system. Night and day over my prior system and no more white knuckle rides. ❤️❤️
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup, I flat won’t tow without a ProPride system. Night and day over my prior system and no more white knuckle rides. ❤️❤️
It's good to hear solid endorsements from actual users!
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
The ProPride site has this Lippert strap setup for the ProPride 3P system that would replace the tension towers and solve the access problem, both for the front hatch on the Airstream as well as the rear of the TV.

https://www.propridehitch.com/lipper...echnology-kit/

We're thinking of getting it, but I'm leery of replacing metal with polyester, however I suppose they do lift boats and such with it.
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post
The ProPride site has this Lippert strap setup for the ProPride 3P system that would replace the tension towers and solve the access problem, both for the front hatch on the Airstream as well as the rear of the TV.

We're thinking of getting it, but I'm leery of replacing metal with polyester, however I suppose they do lift boats and such with it.
Certainly looks like an option !

The bracket to mount it looks longer than the jack bracket I think. The pic is not the best. Hopefully it would not interfere with the LP tank bracket?
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
WD Jacks on Pro pride

We have a Classic 30, so unfortunately, I have no experience with the jack posts interfering with anything. There is nothing there on the Classic.

We are new owners; i.e. bought our first RV and AS in May of 17. I thought long and hard when I purchased the TV and AS about what to connect them with and decided on the propride. It was a difficult decision given the difference in the price of the PP and other units. The Hemsley is basically the same, I think, and quite similar in price. I will say that there is definitely a learning curve on hitching up a propride. That being said, once that is overcome, towing with a PP is nothing short of spectacular. Solid as a rock, regardless of who/what passes you and at what speed. Although I have nothing to compare it to, I'm glad I made the decision that I did buying the PP. BTW, the learning curve to hitch up took about 3 mos; mostly because the installation was not done exactly correct. Once we corrected the direction (downward) of the spear on the TV, hitching has (almost) become a non issue.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
Having a Propride hitch is worth not having access to the front storage. The very best towing experience I have had is using the Propride. Expensive but well worth the price.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
As an earlier owner noted the Propride can be a "beast" getting hooked up at times. A "learning curve" is too simple of an explanation. Just try to unhitch in a area where the AS and TV are level to each other -- if not, when you try to hitch up again you will probably have a problem. An angle creates a problem with the spear sliding into the receiver. However, as I said before - the Propride is a great hitch.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Sean’s customer service is outstanding! Have used a PP for 5 years
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Insert a 2”x2”. Piece of wood in the PP Hitch to line up the stinger vertically to ease your hitching pleasure
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Good tip, Dave! I'll try that next time. Love my ProPride!
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I haven’t had an issue hooking up even at extreme angles. It’s just a matter of lining it up right. The WD jacks can be used to tilt the head to the right angle as well.

And yeah, I flat won’t tow a toy wagon without one. [emoji16]
Old 04-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post

I would suggest giving Sean at ProPride a call and talk to him about the Lippert strap setup. See if it would fit your needs and expectations. Can't remember who, but someone here called Sean about it and ended up not buying the strap. Can't really give you their reason. Sorry. No opinion from me either way. Talk to Sean...he is great.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Waterloo , Ontario
Yup, have an FB27 w/Propride

My setup is almost identical to ShinyPete. I love it.
I have experienced a downside: when I'm working with the jacks, the front storage door is invariably open. When lowering the jacks, the edge can catch the edge of the storage door. I managed to coerce the aluminum back into shape so the door closes again. Now I know to be careful.
Though I love the PP, truth be told, I find the jacks a bit of a pain. When I installed mine, the straps were not available. If I were doing it again, I would look at those. My system was set up by CanAm and requires some pretty good force on the jacks and they inevitably start leaning outwards. The straps would eliminate that.
I do think the rigid connection allows you to more accurately set the receiver to accept the stinger. I'd be interested in hearing from someone using the straps to see if they find it more difficult.
Rhinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
The propride hitch is over rated.

I hate mine. It beats the airstream to death over rough roads as it fuses the truck and trailer together. My trailer gets beat up so bad that it has busted loose my Subwoofer, Audio video gear, and causes my kitchen facet to throw water all over front due to water sloshing around violently.

In addition to the pain dealing with the front jacks which mine have both failed twice while traveling and I have spare parts to do on site repairs, it is noisy to adjust the jacks, and difficult to hitch up at odd angles or unlevel surfaces.

The worse part is that it doesn't back up correctly. The hitch shifts to one side and obstructs the normal backup angle between hitch and trailer. This causes issues with backup assist software and tracking on Fords backup assist camera.

I am looking at a simpler replacement that allows the trailer to have separate dampening from the tow vehicle hitch resulting in a softer better ride for the tow vehicle and trailer.

In my opinion the ProPride is overkill with a 27FB and new F-250.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Don’t understand any of these issues, since we have experienced exactly NONE of them in over three months on the road and over 7,000 miles traveling.

I’d more likely suspect the truck suspension is beating up the trailer, personally[emoji22]
Old 04-02-2018, 04:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinno View Post
My setup is almost identical to ShinyPete. I love it.

I have experienced a downside: when I'm working with the jacks, the front storage door is invariably open. When lowering the jacks, the edge can catch the edge of the storage door. I managed to coerce the aluminum back into shape so the door closes again. Now I know to be careful.

Though I love the PP, truth be told, I find the jacks a bit of a pain. When I installed mine, the straps were not available. If I were doing it again, I would look at those. My system was set up by CanAm and requires some pretty good force on the jacks and they inevitably start leaning outwards. The straps would eliminate that.

I do think the rigid connection allows you to more accurately set the receiver to accept the stinger. I'd be interested in hearing from someone using the straps to see if they find it more difficult.

Re: towers leaning outward - did CanAm install the shims on the frame? For AS Sean has shims that fill the space between the brackets and frame. Call Sean if you don't have them. Easy install (since even I was able to do it [emoji3] ).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Not following Dave. Could you post a pic?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote