Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
la mesa , California
Pro Pride or Hensley with F350 4X4 Crew Cab

Am considering one of the two hitches. I tow a 30' Classic Limited Slide. Which hitch do you recommend and what weight torsion bars? Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to tear apart trailer!
vetdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetdr View Post
Am considering one of the two hitches. I tow a 30' Classic Limited Slide. Which hitch do you recommend and what weight torsion bars? Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to tear apart trailer!
Both of those hitches are good products.

However, the smallest bar rating they have, will be extra heavy duty, in your case, because you already have a super heavy duty tow vehicle.

At best, a Reese dual cam 800 pound hitch would do a very good job for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Both of those hitches are good products.

However, the smallest bar rating they have, will be extra heavy duty, in your case, because you already have a super heavy duty tow vehicle.

At best, a Reese dual cam 800 pound hitch would do a very good job for you.

Andy

A 600# bar would be extra heavy duty? Really?

-

vetdr - there are plenty of customers who have towed with both. Check out this thread - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

Also, there are reviews on the 3P product page from customers who have had the Arrow and the 3P.

Finally, there is a ProPride Blog post from a customer with a 28' Airstream and an F150 who has had both the Arrow and the 3P.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetdr View Post
Look up contributor 2Airishuman's detailed thread on the ProPride and enjoy the long read. He switched from an Arrow (as will I) since the design improvements distinctly affect WD adjustments. (There will also be a benefit to reading his earlier thread -- "CAT Scale" -- to see how some of the discussions/arguments around hitch rigging for an A/S are formed).

You'll also want to read his comments about the Ford brake control system as it actually works, plus one would be well-advised to read on trailer disc brakes from this contributor.

That's a trailer with a heavy TW, IIRC, so the preparation to make a VPP hitch work best also coincides with best WD adjustments (as with any hitch).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ams-72455.html

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bear in mind those bars will transfer UP TO the weight specified. You don't need to crank 'em down until they scream for mercy to get the effect you need.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
vetdr,

Although not exactly the rig you have, I do have a simular rig and towing with a ProPride hitch and am totally happy with the setup. I have a '10 31' Classic and a 3/4 ton GMC Crew Cab pickup, and using the 1000 pound bars.

I would suggest to you to use whatever bars are recommended to you by the manufacturer of the hitch you decide to purchase.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Bear in mind those bars will transfer UP TO the weight specified. You don't need to crank 'em down until they scream for mercy to get the effect you need.
Can you verify that? I have asked 2 different hitch manufacturers whether their ratings mean:
1) the bars (pair) are capable of rated force being applied to the bar before overloading the bar.

2) will handle a trailer tongue weight at the rated figure per pair.

There is a big difference in the two in our never ending question of proper bar "stiffness".

Neither could answer the question.

Sean, I never asked you.....what say you?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Can you verify that? I have asked 2 different hitch manufacturers whether their ratings mean:
1) the bars (pair) are capable of rated force being applied to the bar before overloading the bar.

2) will handle a trailer tongue weight at the rated figure per pair.

There is a big difference in the two in our never ending question of proper bar "stiffness".

Neither could answer the question.

Sean, I never asked you.....what say you?

The bars are rated as a pair. They are capable of distributing weight UP TO that tongue weight rating.

A 1000# rated system does not distribute 1000#. If the tow vehicle steer axle is unloaded by 400# you will not be able to replace that weight with an 800# or 600# bar.

The 3P and Arrow hitch WILL handle the tongue weight at the rated bar. They "may" handle the tongue weight at a lower rated bar but the bars WILL have to be jacked up more than the properly rated bar.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's all about using a certified weight scale, and not relying on guessing. Once hitched well (and tire pressures perfected; plus aligned & balanced wheels/tires) then questions about weight bar rating take on their import.

Stay with recommendations on how to do it (manufacturer) and then work with the more experienced around here to get it the way you want it. Experience with ones rig means records, and records means numbers. Floundering around (lack of hitch rigging numbers) is just a prescription for headaches.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This still really bugs me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
The bars are rated as a pair. They are capable of distributing weight UP TO that tongue weight rating.

So a pair of 1000# bars are capable of distributing 1000#s? Also, why then, do we continue to see recommendations for 1400# bars for a trailer rated at 1000# tongue weight max?

A 1000# rated system does not distribute 1000#. If the tow vehicle steer axle is unloaded by 400# you will not be able to replace that weight with an 800# or 600# bar.

Seems to be inconsistent rating methodology among manufacturers. My 800# Reese bars "handle" my 1000# rated tongue load max, just fine, and with room to spare. They're only flexed about 1.5" with a proper WD per scales.

The 3P and Arrow hitch WILL handle the tongue weight at the rated bar. They "may" handle the tongue weight at a lower rated bar but the bars WILL have to be jacked up more than the properly rated bar.
Paragraph 3 contradicts paragraph 2

This is the same unclear answers I got from Reese and Eq. Why no industry standard and test methodology. No two mfrs bars which carry the same rating, behave anything alike on the same rig.

I have now tried EQ (1000#) and Reese (800#) and soon will try Hensley (not sure what bars...bought used...pick up tomorrow)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
This still really bugs me!

Paragraph 3 contradicts paragraph 2

This is the same unclear answers I got from Reese and Eq. Why no industry standard and test methodology. No two mfrs bars which carry the same rating, behave anything alike on the same rig.

I have now tried EQ (1000#) and Reese (800#) and soon will try Hensley (not sure what bars...bought used...pick up tomorrow)

I'm with you... once I read it -

NO a 1000# bar DOES NOT distribute 1000#. If the tongue weight is 1000# it will distribute enough weight to reload the front axle of the tow vehicle. That may only be 300#. I've never completely maxed out a bar and weighed the front axle because that isn't realistic. I don't think I'd be able to get more than 400-500# of a 1000# tongue weight shifted to the front axle with a 1000# bar.

It would probably REALLY bother you to know that the same bars I purchase and rate at 1000# are sold rated at 1200# by two other brands. Same bar. Same bar manufacturer.

But, don't REALLY let it bother you. Just get the front axle loaded properly with whichever bar you need to do that with your tow vehicle.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
. . get the front axle loaded properly with whichever bar you need to do that with your tow vehicle.

Just the facts, ma'am (certified scale readings)
Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
. . get the front axle loaded properly with whichever bar you need to do that with your tow vehicle.

Just the facts, ma'am (certified scale readings)
Well, that goes without saying....BUT....getting the flexibility and ride characteristics WITH proper WD per scales is heavily dependent upon bar selection within a particular manufacturer and is not consistent among manufacturers. That's my only point. I just get tired of having to guess..and buying more bars.

We otta have a swap area for stuff like that on the forum.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, that goes without saying....BUT....getting the flexibility and ride characteristics WITH proper WD per scales is heavily dependent upon bar selection within a particular manufacturer and is not consistent among manufacturers. That's my only point. I just get tired of having to guess..and buying more bars.

We otta have a swap area for stuff like that on the forum.
Oh no! Now you are insinuating that different manufacturer/style of bars distribute different amounts of weight????? And then, possibly some are more flexible than others???????? Oh the horror!

I do like the swap area idea.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Oh no! Now you are insinuating that different manufacturer/style of bars distribute different amounts of weight????? And then, possibly some are more flexible than others???????? Oh the horror!

Different brands of torsion bars, certainly have a different amount of bend occuring, for the same amount of impressed weight.

That also demonstrates the relative resiliance for the same amount of loading.

The Hitch Torsion Bar Story

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Mods! How 'bout a swap area? No cash...just swapping parts.

Well, Steve. They ALL distribute the same weight on MY setup....they just do it with differing deflections, flexibility and "suppleness". (How's that for a new technical term? Supplenessssssssssss.....)

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Back to the original question.......

I love my Pro Pride hitch.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, sorry 'bout the hyjack! I was just thinking about that.

I haven't towed with either yet, but have been studying hard because of the deal I found for a used Hensley. I think most folks say they perform equally.

PP costs less and I have found I have a "real estate" problem with the HAHA. The frame brackets sit back so far and are so long that I think I'm going to have an interference issue with the Arvika bike rack. The PP has a small jack bracket and the struts are really short with the yoke style.
No drilling required for the PP.

If I were buying new, I think PP has the nod.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the adjustable hitch bar for PP as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Another viewpoint.

If not tearing apart the trailer is the goal, perhaps another approach deserves consideration.

A “one ton” truck from any vendor is capable of safely towing a trailer of the stated size with out any weight distribution.

The Hensley and the Pro Pride are both marketed to “eliminate sway”, while providing some degree of weight distribution. Neither claim to help in absorbing the impacts transferred to the trailer from the rougher ride of a “one ton” truck.

A mechanism like the Air Safe hitch, or something similar, is designed to soften the ride of the trailer while allowing for some weight distribution and any amount of sway control.

I am not affiliated with any hitch maker, just a satisfied customer of Air Safe, with extended experience in the improvement this hitch made in the ride of my trailer.
Items tend to stay where we left them, and there is simply less evidence of jarring after I purchased and began using the Air Safe.

Our trailer stays put behind the truck and is easy to handle in turbulent air with the Air Safe and a Reese Dual Cam weight distributing hitch employing 600 lb. bars.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote