Old 02-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I simply don't see where 200 pounds of steel hitch is any different than the other things on the tongue of the trailer mentioned above..
It appears you do not understand the purpose of a WD hitch.

In all your comment you have not mentioned that you have ever weighed your trucks front axles after hitching up. If you are not aware of how much weight you have transferred, given without just plain luck, you are more than likely not set up correctly.

Before you discount WD bars on any hitch you should read up on the subject. I follow all to many rigs down the road that are not set up to tow. Some don't want to lift too much weight with the pipe when hitching up. Some want a marshmallow ride in the TV. All to many said that is how the Dealer set it up and there all probably less than 10 Dealer in the country who will take the time to set up a WD hitch correctly.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It appears you do not understand the purpose of a WD hitch.
Howie, many times appearances are decieving.

I will not argue my understanding of WD hitches, or my setup capabilites with you, but just state that I've been using, and setting up WD hitches of many different types since the early 70's.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
2air, Please explain to me why the weight of the hitch (mine had a shipping weight of 230 pounds), basically on the ball area, is any different than, oh I don't know, let's say 200 pounds of propane, bottles, and batteries.

I simply don't see where 200 pounds of steel hitch is any different than the other things on the tongue of the trailer mentioned above.

This is what I know.....my hitch weight was 760 pounds before I added the hitch. I know this because I weighed it. My hitch weighs 230 pounds, minus the packing/shipping material. I use 1000 pound bars, and feel they are the perfect weight range for my rig. When hitched up with the proper weight distribution, my bars are bent significantly, and my ride is good.
The difference is that the hitch bars are designed with the weight of the hitch itself taken into consideration. 800 pound bars are intended to be suitable for up to 800 pounds tongue weight plus the weight of the bars and the hitch head.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The difference is that the hitch bars are designed with the weight of the hitch itself taken into consideration. 800 pound bars are intended to be suitable for up to 800 pounds tongue weight plus the weight of the bars and the hitch head.
That may be true, but I can tell you the manufacturer recommended 1000 lb bars for my rig (I called and asked), I'm using them, and I'm happy with the ride.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
" . . I have talked to an Airstream and a long fifth wheel traveler who have lost control and wrecked their equipment due to sudden, strong cross-wind induced sway here in the Southwest".

" . . I am not clear why a fifth wheel would experience sway or the driver lose control. Fifth wheels have the pin hitch over the truck axle, ideal for minimizing sway. If the driver lost control it was not a hitch issue."

" . . if something can blow over a fifth wheel, there is no trailer hitch that will prevent it from also blowing over a trailer."

To my way of thinking it is a matter of the TV/TT first, best hitch, second, and proper hitch rigging, third. (And anyone is welcome to have at this).

Travel trailer and fifth wheel suspensions share a VERY short amount of travel; 2" up and 2" down in many instances. So let's start with fivers: tall, boxy, long, with terrible aerodynamics and a terrible center-of-gravity (high up) PLUS (for many) a suspension where stability is inherently lousy. I've lived in one of the windier regions of the US for the past few years, and done thousands of miles on the local highways when winds were a constant 25-mph, with gusts to forty mph . . and as I've posted elsewhere, watched those big junkers heel over on their inadequate suspensions as Memaw and Papaw blither onwards cause thar big ol' heavy-dooty pickemup ain't got no steerin' feedback to tell them the fiver is starting to lift as those tall knife-edge walls allow wind to pile up on them!

(And there are threads on rv.net where the discussion is that 25-30 mph winds are enough to park a fiver for the day . . or a square box). Fivers are inherently unstable . . once out of the parking lot. They're about good enough to go from here, to there. In best conditions. Their roadworthiness is low (toyhaulers are probably the worst). Radiused edges and caps might help, I-S might help, but there is no getting around those 10' walls, or the center-of-gravity.

The SOB square boxes aren't much better, especially the ones over 30'. The wind just piles up and pushes. These rigs need ALL the help they can get from weight-scaled WDH (proper hitch rigging) as steering and braking are otherwise adversely affected.

In contrast, an aerodynamic trailer, with an independent suspension (or AVION's MOR/Ryde walking beam suspension) places the "width" of the suspension all the way out to the wheels, increasing stability. Suspension travel may be greater (likelier; especially with I-S).

Couple that to to a body shape that allows wind to "bump" and pass over and the benefits are obvious. Add to that what I've been calling "the gold standard" (sway-eliminating hitch, trailer disc brakes and either factory-integrated or best aftermarket brake control) and there is more elbow room in driver reaction time/distance as wind resistance is lowest.

An aero trailer, properly outfitted, has no competitors. While the weakest link remains the driver, the next is the TV. A 4WD pickup or SUV with beam front axle, and recirc-ball steering is notorious for poor feedback. (And being sloppy on center, even new). An IFS with rack & pinion is much to be preferred. (Same with 4-whl discs). The latest AWD diesel SUV's from Europe are looking better and better for many trailer sizes.

I'm not the only one who has towed in significant crosswinds (or been passed by a succession of tractor-trailers in either direction) and the only time I "felt" the wind was as a result of it hitting my truck cap (not so aero; body moving against suspension where a rear anti-roll bar or panhard rod would be beneficial). Best hitch rigging pays. And there are posts on this site about an A/S owner not realizing it was as windy as it was until he stopped to get out . . . .

Without a video camera to record the incident, and an examination of those rigs afterwards (heck, prior: scale tickets) we can't know what -- beyond a gust of wind -- knocked over those rigs. But much of what is important is already known.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I do agree that there is a sense of invincibility among those RVers who have 5ers and dually pickups.

I think that the 5th wheel hitch is overrated in many ways. The added wind load posed by the inherently higher trailer is but one factor to consider.

One of the benefits of the semi-monocoque design and the torsion axle is a lower overall height. The much-lauded frame and suspension of the Avion trailers results in a trailer that is about a foot higher.