Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Tempe , Arizona
Phoenix, AZ - Looking for reputable business to purchase and install WDH

Hello Everyone,

In my industry (furniture design) I am an expert and see many of the same newbie questions posted again and again. It's definitely frustrating, so I hope that I'm not making that mistake here. I did do my best to search old threads and could not find a recommendation.

My fiancé and I just purchase a 2015 25 International Signature. The TV will be my 2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4x4. I definitely want to get a WDH installed, and from I have read on here, proper installation and adjustment is a critical part of the process. My question is, can anyone refer me to a good reputable business that sells and installs WDH's in the Phoenix, AZ area?

Also, I know this is a hot topic with varying opinions, but would you lean towards the ProPride or the Equalizer?

Many thanks in advance,

BG
AZBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Welcome AZBG. I can't help you with any recommendations in the Phoenix area but we have virtually the same truck same trailer and I use an Equalizer hitch with great success. You may get a few different opinions on this. Safe travels. Gene.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The International series 25FB has a 833 pound literature tongue weight. Ours weighed 1,150 pounds on the dealer lot with the Hensley Arrow (first generation Jim Hensley design) installed and a single 155 watt solar panel on the roof and added awnings street side and rear. I towed it home with the Mercedes.

With a lighter tow vehicle, I would strongly suggest the second generation Jim Hensley design called the ProPride.

I have the ProPride on our Classic pulled by the 2500HD Dodge diesel truck and the Hensley has been moved to our 23D to be pulled by the Mercedes. I like the ProPride better than the Hensley, but the Hensley was laying around in our garage from the 25FB and could be put to use.

Both of these hitches are ordered on line and shipped to you. They are not that difficult to install. I did both of mine with basic tools.

The ProPride is significantly less expensive than the Hensley. Both will require the acquisition of a high quality grease gun to lube the two zirc fittings found on each hitch head. The Hensley manuals suggests a squirt every 500 miles and it will creak to tell you it needs more grease.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Two recommendations for you:

Desert RV Autoplex in Mesa Arizona, Phoenix's local Airstream Dealership

Cherokee Trailer in Scottsdale.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The seller didn't include a weight distributing/sway control hitch with the purchase of the trailer?
If I had the money, I would go for the ProPride, but being broke and poor the Equal-i-zer has done a fabulous job after a long period of trial and error adjustment. I can tell you exactly how to set up an Equal-i-zer for a 2WD CrewMax and 30' Classic, but different tongue weight of your unit changes everything. I have also had an EazLift perform flawlessly. The EazLift is easier to set-up and adjust, but is more steps when coupling and uncoupling.
Any RV dealership, particularly the one you purchased the trailer from, should be able to properly set up any WD hitch system.
I am curious as to why the seller didn't include it with the trailer as including it with the trailer is the norm unless you are trading trailers and already have a WD/anti-sway hitch.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I used to have a 19' Flying Cloud towed by an FJ Cruiser. Some will probably argue it wasn't a good partnership, but with with an Equalizer hitch it was quite acceptable and took us a few thousand miles with no issues, once the hitch had been properly adjusted.

In our state I would recommend Desert RV Autoplex in Mesa; they are Airstream dealers.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBG View Post
Hello Everyone,

In my industry (furniture design) I am an expert and see many of the same newbie questions posted again and again. It's definitely frustrating, so I hope that I'm not making that mistake here. I did do my best to search old threads and could not find a recommendation.

My fiancé and I just purchase a 2015 25 International Signature. The TV will be my 2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4x4. I definitely want to get a WDH installed, and from I have read on here, proper installation and adjustment is a critical part of the process. My question is, can anyone refer me to a good reputable business that sells and installs WDH's in the Phoenix, AZ area?

Also, I know this is a hot topic with varying opinions, but would you lean towards the ProPride or the Equalizer?

Many thanks in advance,

BG

There is an Equilizer Brand equalizer hitch thread here with over 7 years input. It helped me make up my mind. i suspect it should work for you too.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I agree that installing a hitch is not difficult but frequently the first step is to install the ball. The 2-5/16" Curt ball with 1-1/4" shank that I installed this afternoon required torqueing to 450 ft/lb. So either an industrial-strength impact wrench or a torque multiplier is needed. You could probably take the head and ball somewhere to get this done but I've read that a lot of shops don't really know how much twist they are applying at higher levels. I went the torque multiplier route with a torque wrench.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Tempe , Arizona
Thanks for the replies, all very helpful.

I'm not sure why the dealer (Desert Autoplex) didn't include the hitch, or even address it. The fact that they didn't breach that subject but did try to sell me on protective coatings makes me leery.

It seems like there is a lot of support for ProPride, but I also found a discussion where a guy had a weld shear off and completely disconnect. I'm sure every product has its share of failures, but that seems like a pretty catastrophic one. Also the $2700 pricetag vs. the Equalizer is something to consider. I live by the mantra "buy once, cry once," but is the PP 6x better?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
WOW... I can't believe that hitches were not discussed at Desert Autoplex RV.

Did you work with Denny at all? Who was your sales person?

I agree that the protective coating is pushed hard.. too hard, by the F&I guy. I would pass on that offering. But am very surprised that WD hitch options weren't even discussed with your sales person. Who was that, by the way?

We just bought a 2016 30' Serenity from DesertAutoPlex RV, worked with the Operations Director - Denny, and had a superb experience, aside from the heavy push for the protective coating by the F&I guy.

We decided to go with the Blue Ox Sway Pro, which is a very well-rated hitch at a reasonable amount of money. We don't have a lot of experience with the hitch yet, but it is simple to use, reasonably priced, and gets great reviews. Denny, who I trust implicitly, has total confidence in this hitch and now, so do I.

If I were you, I'd go back to Desert Autoplex, ask to speak with Denny, and discuss the Blue Ox Sway Pro.

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Tempe , Arizona
Our salesperson was Randy. Nice enough guy, no pressure really. Denny came in the finance office the last 5 minutes we were there. Apparently we are purchasing a trailer he had ordered for himself. He seemed like a very knowledgeable guy and probably would've addressed the hitch had he been our sales person.

Was the hitch included in your sale? If that's common practice it gives me a negative view of this dealer.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes, Randy is a very nice guy. But we had Denny focusing on our experience about 98% of the time. Didn't work with Randy at all after the first meeting.

We paid for the hitch in full. It's early yet... just one towing, but I'm confident that the Blue Ox Sway Pro will serve us well for a very reasonable price. I honestly don't see the pay back for paying $3000-$4000 for a hitch. But that's just be. If my opinion changes, I'll re-evaluate. For now, we're giving the Blue Ox a confident go-of-it.

Go back to DAP, ask for Denny, and talk to him about hitches. They will serve you well, there, I'm confident of that. We have but two Airstream dealers in Arizona, Desert Autoplex RV and Lazydays in Tucson. At this point, I would go to DAP since they are local and I trust them to make it right. Lazydays is a good outfit, but at this point, I don't see the point to drive there when DAP is right here.

DAP is in the process of creating a separate Scottsdale location just for their Airstream franchise and Denny will be heading it up. I think they're going to be a great dealership for us AS folks.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Cliff's Welding in east Mesa is very good and have been in business a long time.
msipek is offline   Reply With Quote