Old 03-27-2004, 07:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
the bars would be a little less calibrated than the Dual Cam, and I got the feeling from your write-up that they were practically equal.
From the reports that I read here, on RV.NET and on other forums, the EQ and DC provide about equivalent performance.

The 'calibration' thing and DC self centering idea I am quite skeptical about. This is because the issue is control and not straightening. Damping is one form of control. Moving the pivot point is another. Self centering is not a control.

To me, the drawback with the DC, especially for a new install, is the extra A frame bracket that needs to be just about where the propane tanks usually mount. The EQ only mounts L brackets on the A frame and they are usually well behind the propane tanks so the only interference is electrical or plumbing (gas) runs.

As far as measuring performance, there is little hard and direct data to go on. What I am currently using is informal surveys and impressions gained from looking at hitches in campgrounds, looking at what dealers offer, insurance considerations, accident reports, and the testimonials and emotion levels therein in debates, arguments, and religious tracts on RV discussion forums. The DC and EQ rate better than friction bars and about the same but well below the Hensley.

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master
It is not possible to tell from the photo just how bad the rust on your A frame actually is. Frequently the worst is just behind the valences where you cannot see it. But I suggest you have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at your frame. The cost of inspection would be trivial, and the consequences of a mistake in judgement are potentially severe.

Brian, In regards to the effectiveness of EQ and Dual Cam hitch designs, I have a theory, and it is just that, a theory, that what they really do is dampen the effective resonant frequency of the tow vehicle/trailer assembly to a point well outside the range of normal transport. I have to say I am considerably more sanguine about the effectiveness of both those hitches, at least in the Airstream context, than you are.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote