Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for the VICARIOUS lesson!!!! Wow!

Maybe reminder tool?

How about leaving the hitch pin in the receiver AND in the hitch? Cheap insurance?

Easier reminder??? How about one of those "receiver plugs" that have a fish/fowl/antlered animal?

When I damaged my shiny bumper I replaced with a heavy duty Ranch Hand. It was cheaper than the Stealer's shiny parts.

Speaking of which... If you go to a hitch place they may have se parts they removed from another truck which are not damaged.

Hope you "lose the lumps, not the lesson!"

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I use a locking hitch pin. Somehow a lock seems more substantial than a cotter key. Also, I don't someone to steal that expensive hitch head.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Did it pull the emergency brake pin on the trailer? I have heard that once that gets used it needs some sort of maintenance to reset?
The emergency pin didn't get pulled. The safety chains held. Didn't distort the chain bracket on the Tundra receiver. Luckily I was going slow turning onto a narrow street. I can live with the bumper. Its not terrible noticeable and it will remind me of this day.

I plan to leave my hitch pin with the cotter pin in full-time and use the locking pin when towing the AS. That way it will remind me.

Kelvin
Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I use a locking hitch pin. Somehow a lock seems more substantial than a cotter key. Also, I don't someone to steal that expensive hitch head.

Hi, I also use locking pin. When not towing the locking pin holds a receiver plug in place. When switching from cover to hitch or when re-installing my hitch head assembly, I put my locking pin on top of my rear bumper so it's right in front of me. I also leave m keys on to of my propane cover until everything is done.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The emergency pin didn't get pulled. The safety chains held. Didn't distort the chain bracket on the Tundra receiver. Luckily I was going slow turning onto a narrow street. I can live with the bumper. Its not terrible noticeable and it will remind me of this day.

I plan to leave my hitch pin with the cotter pin in full-time and use the locking pin when towing the AS. That way it will remind me.

Kelvin
I am also living with my dent to remind me.
The chrome part is at least $400 and very labor intensive to install.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
madison , South Dakota
I had my locking pin malfunction in LA earlier this year. Just exited the freeway for fuel, was going about walking speed up the incline into the station when the hitch slid out of the receiver. Found my pin on the road nearby. No real damage but verrry unnerving. Pin had been in place for days and it was checked before departing NO. Won't pull with one now, back to the standard pin that I drilled an extra hole in and use a heavy cotter pin, in addition to the clevis, as extra insurance. Makes it a bit more difficult for a theif to remove also.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
My husband left the hitch pin on the back bumper of his truck. Some nice young people followed us to a nearby restaurant to let us know the hitch pin was on the bumper. You know we were VERY grateful!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Easy to forget when the talker comes over and doesn't understand "I be with you in a minute, I'm hooking up my trailer now!" You can not forget one step in the hookup, got it!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I have heard that once that gets used it needs some sort of maintenance to reset?
No, just put the pin back in and it should be fine. It's just a simple electrical switch that throws 12 volts at the brakes. Obviously if they activated because you were at highway speeds and things came apart, then you'll want to check everything a bit more closely. But a low-speed activation shouldn't cause issues. To be on the safe side, you can have a shop check the brakes, but you'll need to put the pin in to move the trailer anyway.

After hooking up, I always take a minute and confirm that the chains are crossed and untwisted; the breakaway is connected; the lifter bars are on the correct link, the chains are untwisted, and the bracket pins are in; the hitch pin is in and locked; the power is connected; etc. Before leaving home for a trip, I also check all the lights by using the marker lights and 4-way flashers.

I've seen people in other threads talking about how they can hook up in 10 minutes with their chosen brand of hitch, but here's my mantra: It's not a [expletive deleted] race. Take time and be safe. The minute or two investment you make checking your work will pay off in spades if you find a mistake.

I got lucky and learned this lesson with no injury to me or vehicle. When I had the B190, I once forgot to put the pin in the tow dolly that holds the tray level while traveling. I got out of the campground and the dolly's ramps started scraping as I accelerated. I had to walk at least half a mile each way to retrieve the pin I'd left sitting in the middle of the campground road - all because I was rushing since I was blocking the campground road while loading the car on the dolly (there wasn't anywhere else to do it at that campground).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote