Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Older Reese Weight Distribution ?

Hello. I have an older Reese setup on my current trailer - pic attached. I'm wondering if this setup is sufficient for my new 2001 Excella 31' and if I need separate sway control.

Is this setup equivalent to the current Reese dual-cam weight distribution / sway control?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411429858.270029.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	222583

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Hello. I have an older Reese setup on my current trailer - pic attached. I'm wondering if this setup is sufficient for my new 2001 Excella 31' and if I need separate sway control.

Is this setup equivalent to the current Reese dual-cam weight distribution / sway control?

Attachment 222583

They are exactly the same in operation.

A cam riding on a saddle.

Check the old saddles. I might be wrong, but they appear to be badly worn. If so, you should replace them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is time to buy new.

There were several problems with the Old Reese Dual Cam system.

It was very difficult to set up correctly and as a result most were never set up correctly. It required a complete resetting of the trailing arms every time any adjustment was make to the tilt angle of the head due to ware. Ware of the trunnions and saddles required frequent adjustment if optimum sway control was the desired result.

That said Reese has made some strides to reduce these with the new Straight Line WD system. Adjustment is much easier initially and as needed with the Yokes included in the arms.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
BARKSDALE AFB , Louisiana
The original set that came with our 77 avion are working like champs. Was a pain to set up to work with our modern taller yukon but i like the setup. Sway control is better than traditional sway bars by far.....to me.

That being said, i am looking at other options. Gonna have to be special to switch though.
catsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile reese dual cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It is time to buy new.

There were several problems with the Old Reese Dual Cam system.

It was very difficult to set up correctly and as a result most were never set up correctly. It required a complete resetting of the trailing arms every time any adjustment was make to the tilt angle of the head due to ware. Ware of the trunnions and saddles required frequent adjustment if optimum sway control was the desired result.

That said Reese has made some strides to reduce these with the new Straight Line WD system. Adjustment is much easier initially and as needed with the Yokes included in the arms.
I have reese dual cam set up since went on market used on several trailers never had [prob. setting up it is very simple to set up correctly with no excessive wear on saddles never had to readjust or resetting of trailing arms also I have used reese set ups since 1962 never a prob. with any of them....
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post

Attachment 222583

I had the same system for years, and several trailers, (three Airstreams, and a couple SOBs). I now have the newer version, but it works exactly the same, and regardless of what some people say, they are pretty simple and straight forward to set up. The Dual Cam is the sway control, you need nothing more.

As for what you have, I would replace the "saddles", and use a heavy application of "Corrosion X" on all that rust.....it should work just fine. You can download the setup procedure from the Reese web site, or it may be on the Forums....
I'll be glad to help if you want to PM me..

For whatever it's worth,

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Thanks all. Appreciate the input. I will attempt to clean these up - the other side, for some reason, has very little rust.

Craig

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Twin cam

I have used Drawtite for 5 years when I bought my first Airstream. The trailer was a 26 footer and the rig worked well for my 3/4 ton Ford Van. My second Airstream was a 31 Footer and came with a twin cam setup like yours. It worked well for me and was easy to setup. I was using a 3/4 ton Ford window van to pull it. I did notice some side push from trucks passing me. My third Airstream is a 34 footer and came with a Reese twin cam and a frictional damper. It runs quite well without the frictional dampener, but with some circumstances it did want to wander slowly, when a big truck passed. Putting the frictional dampener, on later in the day, the wander was completely gone. I was pulling with a full ton Chevy dually, with a crew cab and a full 8 foot box.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
howell , Michigan
Anyone offer replacement parts for these older Reese weight distribution systems? Thanks
larry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I have seen some parts from time to time on eBay. Depending on what you need there are some parts available on towuniverse.com look under towing and weight distribution. I have not done any business with Tow Universe and hadn't even heard of them until now. Tow Universe showed via internet searches on New Old Stock Reese Dual Cam
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote