1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Old style Reese Dual cam help???

Greetings Charlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
Those are excellent pictures Kevin. Thank for posting them. It appears that the shape of the saddle portion of the cam on yours is a little different then mine but the concept is the same. Perhaps the design changed in a final version of the old style cams before they were replaced by the new style cam. From what I can see I think I can get these on this Sun. in a short time. Then I only need to spend 20-30 hours adjusting the new setup so it rides as well as it did before I added the cams.
Charlie
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the classic Dual Cam Sway Control works with the new style weight distribution spring bars. It took me some time to get to the bottom of the nuances of setting the bars. What I learned is that it is imperative that the deepest part of "hook" on the end of the bar is centered in over the cam when the rig is in straight line. I use the new bars with the "hook" when towing my '64 Overlander with my '75 Cadillac Eldorado.

Another consideration when setting up your hitch is the weight rating of the spring bars in relation to the tow vehicle being utilized. With my Overlander as an example, it requires 800 pound spring bars when towed by the Cadillac or 600 pound bars when towed with my '99 K2500 Suburban with its much heavier suspension (the tongue weight on the loaded coach is usually between 725 and 750 pounds). The spring bars need to have visible deflection if the Dual Cam System is to work at its optimum level.

Good luck with your set-up!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I thought I'd update everyone on the Dual Cam setup. I managed to get everything connected on Sun. before I did the annual spring polish and coat of liquid glass. I ran out of time to hook up and get the adjustments done but went about that part of it today. It's a real pain getting the cams exactly where you want them so the saddle is right in the middle of the hook in the WD bar when it's straight but at least it only has to be done one time. I took it for a test run to an empty parking lot and had a fellow local Airstreamer named Bruce pull in to check out the Airstream. He just happened to have the exact same old style dual cam setup on his Airstream and helped me with the final adjustments. What a stroke of luck, I was very thankful.
Unfortunately I picked up another project which I have a thread about in the refrigerator section. When I de-winterized I found that my old fridge had a leak so I'll be replacing that this coming Sun. before we go on our first out to Arches NP at the end of next week. I seem to somehow find a way to put between $1,000 to $2,000 in her every year so I hope this is the end of major expenses for this year.
Thanks again to everyone for their help on this.
Charlie

Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Glad to hear you are making progress with the WD system.

You may know this already, but many of the old fridges can be made "new" again by getting a refurb kit. This is composed of a new cooling system. Not cheap, but a third to half of a new one, and easier (and cheaper) to ship... These guys make them, for one.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Glad to hear you are making progress with the WD system.

You may know this already, but many of the old fridges can be made "new" again by getting a refurb kit. This is composed of a new cooling system. Not cheap, but a third to half of a new one, and easier (and cheaper) to ship... These guys make them, for one.

Thanks for the link but the best price I've found new is $728 with delivery.
The best price I've found for a core is for $480 with delivery and that's after I return the core. Since my fridge box has a few minor issues I've decided to go with the new one.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
That's a heck of a good price for a new refer! Congratulations!