Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Old Reese Hitch? Dual Cam Type? What is this?

This is what I got with the trailer. Have never attempted to hook it up because the trailer has not been mobile.

From what I have I can't see how to hook it up.
I do have also the dual cam part that hooks to the tongue with the U bolts.

I read some where that in a dual cam setup the rods do not have chains and as you can see mine do.

See anything missing here?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-05-14 at 20.30.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	185775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-05-14 at 20.31.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	185776  

Name:	Photo on 2013-05-14 at 20.31 #2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	185777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-05-14 at 20.31 #3.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	185778  

Name:	Photo on 2013-05-14 at 20.32.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	185779  
Old 05-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Old Reese Hitch? Dual Cam Type?

Greetings DanielB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
This is what I got with the trailer. Have never attempted to hook it up because the trailer has not been mobile.

From what I have I can't see how to hook it up.
I do have also the dual cam part that hooks to the tongue with the U bolts.

I read some where that in a dual cam setup the rods do not have chains and as you can see mine do.

See anything missing here?
Thanks

The hitch components in your photo are from several different hitches, but will likely work together with some adjustments. Some comments based upon my observations:
  • The trunion bars (spring bars) appear to be quite heavy . . . my guess would be 1,000 pound bars. These were fine when our Vintage Airstreams were towed by the family sedan, but are much too stiff if a truck-based tow vehicle is to be used. These trunion bars do not have the "saddle" attachments for the Reese Dual Cam system . . . the saddle replaces the chain. It is possible to purchase the saddles separately from a Reese Product Dealer's parts department.
  • The snap-up brackets (used to put tenion on the chain/spring bar) do not appear to be Reese. That doesn't necessarily pose a problem so long as they are complete. Since they are rather bulky, they may interfere with either the LP tank mount or Reese Dual Cam system when installed on the tongue. If the snap-up brackets are too bulky, the smaller modern replacements can be purchased separately and aren't terribly expensive.
  • Your "classic" clamp-on Reese Dual Cam system isn't in the photo, but should you find that any parts are needed, a Reese Dealer's parts department should be able to assist you in acquiring needed replacements.
Good luck with your hitch configuration!

Kevin

P.S.: The photo below is of the "saddle" on a Reese 800 pound trunion bar that I utilize with my Cadillac Eldorado:

The photo below is of the Reese Dual Cam Hitch as installed on my Minuet when being towed by the Edloraod:

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Very informative. Thank you Sir!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I believe your part in the pics 2 thru 5 is of an old Ease Lift bracket.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I think that all of the pieces are now in place and we will see how this goes
Reese Dual Cam Hookup - YouTube

If you are in the Charleston, SC area and you need hitch work or whatever, these are the guys that you want..http://www.corbinshitch.com/
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I believe your part in the pics 2 thru 5 is of an old Ease Lift bracket.
Yes, indeed. I have an old Eaz Lift hitch, and that is exactly what they look like.

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you decide not to buy the additional Dual cam parts, which you need, at least buy a frictional dampener. It is a minimum for the rig you intend to pull.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
As far as I can guess the friction dampener that you are talking about is a frictional sway control? My last post above is a video showing the full setup after a trip to the hitch guy. Here is a pic. I believe that this includes the frictional sway control that you speak of.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullHitch.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	186658  
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
This picture shows the ball on the A frame where the sway dampener should be mounted, but it is not there. The frictional dampener is a two piece device that mounts between this ball and another ball on the hitch head. I do not see a ball on your hitch head. The device has a bar that slides in and out of a pocket on the second piece (mounted tothe trailer) that has a friction material on its interior and a handle that allows you to adjust the squeeze on the bar.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
This picture shows the ball on the A frame where the sway dampener should be mounted, but it is not there. The frictional dampener is a two piece device that mounts between this ball and another ball on the hitch head. I do not see a ball on your hitch head. The device has a bar that slides in and out of a pocket on the second piece (mounted tothe trailer) that has a friction material on its interior and a handle that allows you to adjust the squeeze on the bar. The hitch guy has mounted the cams and followers to accomplish the twin cam function
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I'll google it and see what this mysterious dampener is and its purpose. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
According to the Reese Hitch web site the friction dampener is a sway control device (passive type). The Dual Cam setup includes sway control (active type). So apparently I have sway control and a friction dampener is unnecessary. That is what I am getting..

"Types of Sway Control Sway control can be either Passive or Active. Passive (or Friction) sway control is simple and uncomplicated, using friction to resist the pivotal movement of the trailer. It 'stiffens' the coupling between the tow vehicle and trailer.
Active sway control goes beyond resisting sway and actually works to correct it. The Dual Cam Sway Control system is an active sway control system that holds down the start of swaying while at the same time allowing free and easy vehicle and trailer interaction."
"
Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Daniel, This is correct.
With the Dual Cam setup you should not need a friction-type sway control bar. Just leave the small ball mount on the trailer tongue and proceed as you explained in your video.
Remember to address the 'leveling' (weight distribution) aspect of the Reese hitch system also. Once you get it 'tuned-in' the Reese Dual Cam hitch is simple & reliable.
Good choice.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Awesome