Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #99
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Please define the "three links showing" setting. My apology for asking, but I'm kind of slow on this issue. Which link is in the notch, counting from the u-bolt?

You have full return of steer axle loading with your weight distribution, so that is bang on. The question is, can you achieve the same with smaller bars? The hint is the number of links you have from the u-bolt on your current setting. If it is fewer than from the loose end, you are less likely to make the lighter bars work. If you have more links than it might be possible to go lighter.

The BO direction is to match the bars to the tongue weight. Not clear from your scale weights as to how much you have in tongue weight. With full return to the steer axle, you should have some tongue shifted to the rear trailer axle. The 1300# increase in TV weight is not all the tongue weight. Consequently, the 1500# bars may be close to what BO directs.

It was suggested by an ASer, with much more experience than I, to consider the ideal bars to be the smallest that would transfer enough weight to return the TV steer axle to original weight and have at least 2" of deflection for sway control.

The 1500lb bars have a lot of stored energy. Be very careful when adjusting. Raising the tongue jack to relieve the preload is very important and a socket with a long breaker bar will let you stay away from the hitch components when adjusting the preload. Always verify the brackets are securly attached to the frame before setting the preload on the bars.

Good luck with the fine tune. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Originally Posted by No.15 View Post
Can I get some opinions on these weights? This is 1500 lb bars with 3 link showing. I wanted to try 1k bars but I am wondering if they are to light.

This is with a 27fb (pendleton) with about half of tank fresh water both 30lb lp's full and the trailer mostly loaded with our gear.

Steer: 3320 lb
Drive: 3660 lb
Trailer: 5980 lb
Gross: 12960 lb

And this is the truck as I normally drive around. Fuel was off between 5 and 10 gallons compared to above.

Steer: 3320 lb
Drive: 2360 lb
Gross: 5700 lb
I have played this game with my BO. I had the good fortune to get an additional set of bars. My weights are fairly close to yours. I tried a set of 1,000 # bars and a set of 800# bars. The 1000# gave me a rough ride, the 800# is working perfect. Great ride, good WD and Sway Control. Most people have the tendency to go heavier than necessary and end up beating on the trailer too much. In MHO the 1000# bars would do a better job for you overall.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Touch-up paint for Sway Pro

For touching up those rust spots, I found that Rustoleum Hammered Finish #7218 "Dark Bronze" is pretty close.
Scott & Joan
2013 International Signature 27FB
2010 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 5.7L
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #102
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Originally Posted by Olrocker View Post
For touching up those rust spots, I found that Rustoleum Hammered Finish #7218 "Dark Bronze" is pretty close.
Thanks for that, it is a project I need to get too. The stock finish chips easily and then rust quickly.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Blue Ox convert

Recently transitioned from an Equalizer hitch with 1K bars to the Blue Ox, also with 1K bars, to tow our 07 Safari 25 FB. Was towing with a Ford F-150 and the Equalizer did a good job. Recently traded up to an F-250 diesel which has a much stiffer suspension and felt the Equalizer was transmitting too much vibration to the trailer….we had noted lots of displaced cushions and such after towing.

So after reading about the softer ride of the Blue Ox and discussing with some folks I know who have them, I made the switch. Have done several trips now with the Blue Ox and offer the following observations from the peanut gallery:

I have noted a definite reduction in movement/displacement of cushions and such with the Blue Ox. Additionally it appears the trailer has a tighter turning radius….which I really notice when backing into a tight site. It is a “softer” tow which takes a little getting used to, but nice once you do. Assume that is due to the spring nature of the BO bar as opposed to the stiff square bar of the Equalizer. So for us, a good change, accomplished exactly what I was looking for.

Incidentally, I did not turn off the “anti-sway” on the F-250 without any unusual operation of the vehicle. Handled beautifully, did not note any increased movement when passed by large tractor trailers. Will experiment with this recommendation later, but it handled quite well without doing so.

Hope this will prove useful to those considering a change.

Tom and Robin
2007 Safari 25' FB Twin
"If you have to go through a minefield....follow somebody"
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote