Old 03-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I have not experienced any sway or "wiggle" when trucks, buses or whatever overtakes or passes in the opposite direction, but then again, I drive 55 to 60 maximum.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Three lessons leaned the hard way from an actual Blue Ox user,
1. Keep a close eye on the brackets. Make sure they are properly torqued down on the frame. Under tension and unhooking the brackets can come loose from the frame. Happened to me, resulting in a cracked occular bone, concussion and overnight stay in the hospital. Black and blue and other interesting colors for a month. Half an inch in either direction might of resulted in blindness or death according to the Doctors.
2. Do not be afraid to lift your tow vehicle rear end as high as it takes to relieve ALL the strain from the bars/chains for hooking up and unhooking. If high enough chains can be tightened or removed without the use of tools.
3. Sometimes the parking slope is two steep to comfortable hook up or unhook. It is ok to move to a level area and then move back or head on out.
Blue Ox has excellant customer service if you have any questions or issues.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
I'd like to add to my original post regarding my Blue Ox. My prior was a equalizer with the sway bar attachment along with the spring bars. Worked great for years but with new trailer I opted for the Blue Ox at the suggestion of the trailer dealer. Both tow well I feel the equalizer was safer to hook up in my opinion regarding the "Bars". The Blue Ox is a nice concept and works well. I can't empathize extra care at hookup and disassemble for safety sake. It is a nicer looking hitch to. Listen to what AWCHIEF experienced sorry to hear about the injuries.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
AW - sincere condolences for your experience. No one deserves that event to occur. Thank you for the warning. Your recommendation to use a socket and breaker bar in place of the OE flat wrench has likely saved us from an injury. The day I unwrapped the chain with full load on the spring was a real eye opener. There is a lot of energy stored in those springs when loaded, and with only 600#s on the tongue, we run the small ones.

OP - Our direct RV towing experience is with the BOSP. We had no problems climbing or descending passes, no problems with backing, no difficulty with sharp turns, and no reluctance in transitional tracking or rapid deceleration. Let us tell you about shooting Smuggler's Gap looking for foliage color. Our experience has not been negative.

We are challenged in windy conditions but have not experienced excessive sway. We have not had difficulty in rain. However we can provide no information on BOSP towing in slick conditions like those found in winter weather.

The BOSP design controls sway with spring force and uses the head geometry to amplify that force. At least, that is what the tech support guy told me.
Consequently, it is not a friction based design.

The stinger fits our receiver reasonably tight, so if yours has significant play, the receiver should be checked for wear or distortion. We got the H-beam stinger and like that the configuration represents some weight reduction. However, because there is only one lock pin hole boss, it would require welding and drilling an additional boss to move the ball closer to the TV.

You all travel safe and make some smiles along those miles. Pat
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #19
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Three lessons leaned the hard way from an actual Blue Ox user,
1. Keep a close eye on the brackets. Make sure they are properly torqued down on the frame. Under tension and unhooking the brackets can come loose from the frame. Happened to me, resulting in a cracked occular bone, concussion and overnight stay in the hospital. Black and blue and other interesting colors for a month. Half an inch in either direction might of resulted in blindness or death according to the Doctors.
Thank you kindly for that little tip. Sheesh. If you still own it, you are a bigger man than I. I would have shown my maturity by taking my frustrations out on an inanimate object with a cutting torch I don't own, and would have to go buy, giving me plenty of time to think about how stupid what I was doing was. But would still do.

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #20
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
OP -
We are challenged in windy conditions but have not experienced excessive sway.
You all travel safe and make some smiles along those miles. Pat
This is the portion I am most curious about. Can you elaborate on the BOSP performance in these conditions relative to other hitches you have owned and used in similar circumstances?

Again, we don't have to name brands. Just truly curious how well this hitch handles sway. I get how subjective this issue can be.

I was thinking the other day about how this hitch design is supposed to deal with sway; a loaded spring bar bringing the trailer back to center. Blue Ox should create a mock up of a loaded trailer tongue, suspended in the air by being attached to the hitch and a TV. Theoretically, if you tried to swing the tongue to on side or the other, significant force would be required. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dumpster, not sure if it will help but check out the videos on the Blue Ox web site. Also they have excellant and very helpful customer service. Give them a call with your questions.

I have experienced high side wind conditions a couple of times. Absolutely no drama involved. The Jeep gets buffered around but the trailer tracks true. Just south of Birmingham had a 16+ wheel jack knife in front of me. I went into panic mode stop. ABS activated and stopped me only 20 ft from the big rig. Little busy worried about what was happening in front of me but as far as I can tell the Airstream stayed on track right behind me with no unexpected actions.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Is there a good source for the Ox?
Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post

When I bought mine last year, all the places I checked had about the same price.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #24
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Thanks for this thread. I was up late last night researching hitches, and will be ordering a BOSP today.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #25
Classy Roscoe

2017 30' Classic
1969 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
The OX is a very good system for us. With right at 800# on a 1000# Blue OX it has preformed very well from Texas to Montana, Colorado. Washington and all points in between.

After being trained by the dealership we learned to back straight up to the AS on as level a surface as possible. Hitch the ball and lock it. Then run the jack up until the AS hitch picks up the TV about an inch or two. Put the spring bars in place and count the links to be equal both sides and connect to the couplers on the AS frame. No muss no fuss on bother.

When you run the jack in departure mode your all set!

Repeat this in reverse when you un-hitch and the chains disengage with very little stress and no brused of broken body parts.

Now the issue we had with our first Blue OX. One of the spring bars bent. Yes bent. After unhooking, the bar did not recover to a straight bar! After a long conversation with the factory it was determined that the bar was defective and it was replaced at once! I paid the FedEx cost and was happy to do so.

Could not have asked for a better experience from dealer or factory. Even received a flowup call.

Happy Trails.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post

I am hoping to start an informative thread about this hitch. Info, help, tips, do's, buy it, or don't. What I would like to avoid is why every other hitch on the planet is better. I don't care about your Hensley, PP, Reese DC, EQ, etc. I also don't want to hear about your undocumented, unpublished 'research' on why brand 'Y' is better. I would like to stick to real-world experience of Sway Pro owners.

Now that we have dealt with that unpleasantness, let's get busy.........

I have been a proud owner of brand xxxxxx for about 12 years. Prior to that, I had brand yyyyyyy. Yyyyyy was crap, so I switched to xxxxxx. I had solid performance, both in sway control, and load-equalization. But one day it hit me(after listening to episode #196 of theVAP)- these load bars are rock-solid. If I go over a big dip, incline, or even pull out of my driveway, these bars are not going to bend. But something else is. My receiver hitch, truck frame, or God forbid, the A-frame of my trailer. Is there a better mousetrap?

So that is where I am at; the Blue Ox Sway Pro. As advertised, it does it all. It arrived yesterday in a well packed box from Etr*****. I have to travel 500+ miles to pick up my new-to-me trailer. All I will have is my toolbox, my new Sway Pro, and 500 more tense towing miles ahead of me. Setup looks fairly straightforward. Any tips or tricks you have that I don't need to learn the hard way would be much appreciated. I will also do my best to do the same going forward.

Thanks in advance,
Dumpster
Dumpster, I walked the same walk until last summer. At the rally in Farmington I looked over the Blue Ox, listened to all the comments and I realized what my problems have been with the different hitches. So I decided to give it one more try with the Blue Ox. It was the best decision. It works just like its advertised. You will be pleased I am sure.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Springfield , Illinois
Auto adjusting shocks

I have a Cadillac EXT truck that has self leveling shocks, the dealer hooked up my Blue Ox and drove it around the building before setting the final adjustment as the shocks changed the position of the back of my truck. Great hitch😄
Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post
I bought mine thru the local Airstream dealership. They had the best price I could find with a substantial discount from MSRP. I did have to pay extra for a longer drop bar. After talking to Blue Ox they refunded what I paid for the drop bar. It should of been a direct swap.