Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

2012 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Noisy Anti-Sway System

I purchased a system from the Airstream dealer and I am concerned about the squeaking, grinding, and clanking noises while turning. I took it to Camping World and they said it was properly installed and that the loud noises are routine. I would like a less noisy system...any suggestions?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Do you know which hitch system is installed? This information will help folks be able to answer your questions the most specifically.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #3

2012 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
It was a Fastway e2 Hitch system
Old 07-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Gotcha.

I have an Equalizer hitch which was quite noisy at first until it was "broken-in" (not the best phrase perhaps ) and had worn off the paint. Keeping the ball well greased before each trip makes a big difference, too! Let's see what others who have the Fastway e2 Hitch system have to say.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The Fastway e2 operates similar to the Equalizer, and it's just going to be noisy. It's the nature of the beast.

You can reduce the noise by drilling holes for addition clips in the "L" brackets that will be on top of the main brackets which will keep them from riding on the bars, but it will only reduce the popping.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink another HaHa user hi-jacking the thread.....

Noisey is better than not working...only drawback, you won't be able to claim your rig toes, "like it's not even there"

Another benefit....if it goes silent, you know it's time to inspect it.

Bob
Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Blue Ox Sway Pro, silence is golden.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What? Did you say something? I can't hear you, my hitch is making too much noise.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
The Andersen is silent and seems to work very well.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I have the same hitch and only notice the noise when turning...but it is LOUD!

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/airstream.nerds.7
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I had an equalizer and now I have a reese dual cam, and they are both noisy, even after "broken in". Grease helps, but still noisy in my experience. Awchief, glad to hear your blue ox is silent, we put a deposit down on a 2016 and the dealer, Foley, is highly recommending the blue ox. I'm leaning toward getting one.
Sandy
Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sandy it is a good hitch that seems to perform its job as advertised. One suggestion, keep a close eye on the mounting brackets. They tend to loosen up. The result of one flying off when unhooking can be quite painful. I say that from personal experience. Also a socket on a long handled ratchet make hooking up and unhooking an easier and safer task by increased leverage and moves the body from over the brackets. Do not know what your tow vehicle is but make sure Foley provides you with a long enough drop bar for proper leveling. Blue Ox customer service can be very helpful with that if it becomes an issue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Buy one more time only!

I have had a Fastway which was installed by a dealer. They are an economical hitch offering as compared to others and some dealers like to throw them into the deal as a bargaining chip.

I had the Fastway long enough to tow it home. Unfortunately it was improperly sized by the dealer and had the wrong drop on it as well. I replaced it with an Equalizer. By the way, Fastway and Equalizer are owned by the same company.

The Equalizer has been okay. But I am about to change it out and I have another brand of hitch in hand that I will be installing in the next month or so. Point I am making is I wish I had taken my time to inform myself thoroughly and bought the one I wanted up front.

There are lots of hitches out there for the choosing. My suggestion is to avoid buyer's remorse, buy only once more by getting the one you want up front. Trials in hitches get mighty expensive plus consume a lot of time and effort. You have a hitch already, so do your homework, be your own advocate, and make a very informed choice.

This forum is an outstanding place to get information. There is a lot of good information and advice here but you will also have to sift through it all. While searching this and other forums you must turn your personal filter on to remove the "pride of ownership" arguments that always ensue. You can find lots of opinions, statements of luck, etc. but at the end of the day you should make your own informed decision versus letting someone else or a salesman do it for you.

Best of luck and have fun informing yourself and making your choice.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I had an equalizer and now I have a reese dual cam, and they are both noisy, even after "broken in". Grease helps, but still noisy in my experience. Awchief, glad to hear your blue ox is silent, we put a deposit down on a 2016 and the dealer, Foley, is highly recommending the blue ox. I'm leaning toward getting one.
Sandy
Sandy, the BlueOx works well. I use one on my "other brand" camper trailer.

The correct procedure for connecting and disconnecting the weight bars is outlined in the instructions that come with the hitch. The basic idea is to "remove ALL of the load from the bars, BEFORE rotating the latches". You do this by raising the tongue of the trailer, and the back of the truck with the tongue jack of the trailer. If you raise it to the correct height, you can easily and safely turn the latches, essentially bare handed. If you are "needing" to use a long lever to turn the latches, that is a sign you have not yet raised the trailer and truck high enough with the tongue jack.

EDIT: ps, blue ox also makes a set of latches that bolt on to the side of the trailer a-frame rails. Those cannot "come off the trailer by accident" like the saddle style latch can if it comes loose.