Old 07-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Sandy, the BlueOx works well. I use one on my "other brand" camper trailer.

The correct procedure for connecting and disconnecting the weight bars is outlined in the instructions that come with the hitch. The basic idea is to "remove ALL of the load from the bars, BEFORE rotating the latches". You do this by raising the tongue of the trailer, and the back of the truck with the tongue jack of the trailer. If you raise it to the correct height, you can easily and safely turn the latches, essentially bare handed. If you are "needing" to use a long lever to turn the latches, that is a sign you have not yet raised the trailer and truck high enough with the tongue jack.

EDIT: ps, blue ox also makes a set of latches that bolt on to the side of the trailer a-frame rails. Those cannot "come off the trailer by accident" like the saddle style latch can if it comes loose.
I would like to see a live demonstration of your doing it by hand method. 😜

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I would like to see a live demonstration of your doing it by hand method. ��
Michael,
I'll be glad to do that later when it cools off outside. I'll have to set the camera on a tripod and do a video of it. But I'm not gonna go out there in mid nineties heat in the sun to do it right now !

Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Standing by. Going to make some popcorn and will have an ambulance standing by (just in case).

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
No ambulance needed Michael ! If you get the load off the chains/bars, a six year old could easily do this. Don't pop the popcorn just yet....too danged hot out there right now ! I'll do it later when it cools off.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
All right Chief, here you go. ( and our friend Mister Morgan is just jealous 'cuz his hitch doesn't have a manly-man sounding name like "Ox" )

EDIT: I re-did it with a wider angle view so you can more easily see how high I have the tongue jacked up.

https://youtu.be/kpt_Wbf2qHs
Old 07-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
All right Chief, here you go. ( and our friend Mister Morgan is just jealous 'cuz his hitch doesn't have a manly-man sounding name like "Ox" )

https://youtu.be/d1lUsMh_McQ

Lol.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Well darn, you have made a believer out of me. Sorry I ever doubted you. 😇

Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I think some folks may think they can't really jack it up that high with the trailer tongue jack. Viewed from the side, it does look pretty strange, because it's of course raising the back of the truck too. On my manual crank jack, it just happens to work out to about "thirty spins of the crank handle", so I just count it out as I go for the sake of speed and getting it right first time.
The newest style of "bolt around" latches that Blue Ox sells, looks like they will attach very securely indeed and also they do not require drilling thru the trailer a-frame. They are pretty expensive though.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
If your Reese Dual Cam is noisy, it's not properly adjusted.....simple as that..
Take it to a dealer that knows how to set them up, and lube them in the right places with the right lube, and you'll have a great, (and quiet) set up..

Just sayin'.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I had an equalizer and now I have a reese dual cam, and they are both noisy, even after "broken in". Grease helps, but still noisy in my experience. Awchief, glad to hear your blue ox is silent, we put a deposit down on a 2016 and the dealer, Foley, is highly recommending the blue ox. I'm leaning toward getting one.
Sandy

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Reese states in their install instructions apparently that some noise is normal. They do state you have the option to use "vaseline" on the contact points of the cam if the TW is under 1200 pounds, and with TW over 1200 pounds, the use of the lubricant "may be necessary".
They state do NOT use grease.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Vaseline, such a versatile multipurpose lubricant.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
On the Reese no grease. But don't forget to grease the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Vaseline IS a lubricant. Reese recommends a light coating of it on the cams.
The other points they recommend at at the point where the trunnion bars engage the ball mount, I use a white lithium grease, or you can also use 3 in 1 oil.
Also, the ball needs to be coated, yes, it can be messy, but that's just the way it is...
These points I've mentioned are the main sources of any noise.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
On the Reese no grease. But don't forget to grease the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote