Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Lexington , Kentucky
No Hitch

Please forgive me-im totally new to all of this.
Im looking to buy an AS. Advertised as easy to tow but owner just stated there is no hitch. You need a hitch to tow, right?
Is that something I can bring?
I want him to meet me at the local AS dealer for the handoff; but im wondering if he can get it there.
If i have to buy a hitch whats the best for a 22ft vintage trailer? I'm terrified to tow, but I've been dreaming if owning one for ten years. No sense in having one if im mot going to tow it.
Lesliewhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The "hitch" he refers to is probably the part that goes on the tow vehicle. There are many different options here. Depending on your tow vehicle and the weight of your trailer you may or may not need sway control and/or weight distribution. The folks on here can advise you better if you identify which trailer you are looking at and what you plan to tow it with. Some dealers can be very helpful and some less so.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
My suggestion to the original poster is to do a search on the internet for " how to tow a trailer ".
You will see many articles and videos from which you can learn the basics including what all parts and pieces are called and each parts purpose.
We all started at the beginning, so too can you.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Does your tow vehicle have a hitch receiver? Is it rated at enough weight for the trailer? Even the least expensive wd hitch with sway control will get you on the road. The dealer will help but it will cost. Sometimes one has to pay the piper to be in the band.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
We need to know what you are going to tow with before and comments can be made about the hitch. The weight of the trailer would be helpful.

You will also need a break controller in the tow vehicle.

If the deal has to go down before you can get the tow vehicle set up it might be better to just have the trailer delivered to your location even it you have to pay someone to move it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Consider renting, borrowing, or stealing (ha, ha) a small utility trailer from somewhere. Tow with that for a day just to get used to the vehicle dynamics. Wide turns, backing up, etc. A bit of practice will go a long way.

As for the hitch, you will need one. Depending on what brand you get there are different oprions. Shank drop, weight rating, etc. You will need to match it with your vehicle. Consider buying the hitch from the dealer you meet at and have them set it up.