Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Newby Hitch Ball Height Question

I have on order a 2013 27FB, due to arrive in April. Planning ahead I ordered the Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch with the 4" drop. I'm now wondering if I need more drop. I attached it my tow vehicle (stock 2003 4WD Expedition) and at full drop the top of the ball is 20 1/4" high.

Anderson sent me a fitament spec diagram that I emailed the dealer. He wrote back the coupler bottom is 18" high when level. But something doesn't seem right.

I attached a picture. Is this going to work, our should the ball be lower to keep the trailer level?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-09_00001.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	178637   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-09_00005.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	178638  

kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Ok here we go..... Many will chime in, my recommendation is to wait until you get your trailer. Right now I believe you are a tad high. That said, you will go lower when you hook up and your suspension lowers to take on the weight of your tong weight. You can pre prep until your blue and totally frustrated, but until your hooked up to WD system that you chose to use, it's still just an educated guess.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Since your buying new wont the dealer set all that stuff up for free? If I dropped 100k on a new trailer, I would expect some level of turn key service!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm not sure I would rely on any dealer to set me up unless I had advance knowledge of their experience. Reading on this forum we see some really lame setup's supposedly done by dealers. So beware. I do however agree to hold off until you get your trailer or perhaps go to the dealer if they are not too far and put one on the ball and check it.
If I recall mine came out to be about 20" ground to top of ball. With the trailer on the ball I'm happy with it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Anderson sent me a fitament spec diagram that I emailed the dealer. He wrote back the coupler bottom is 18" high when level. But something doesn't seem right.
Well if the dealer is right that the bottom of the coupler is 18" that would put the top of the ball at about 20 1/4".

I thought the new Airstreams had a top of ball height of 18 3/4" and with that expecting an 1 1/2" drop of your Expedition isn't unreasonable, unless you have auto-leveling or airbags.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Thanks. Maybe I am overthinking this. The closest dealer is a 5 hour drive one way, the place I'm buying it from. The sell Equalizer at $900 installed, maybe that could be negotiated down a little.

I just don't want to get there and find the trailer is un-trailerable with this hitch.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think you'll be fine even if only for the drive home. Then you can fine tune any adjustments at your leisure.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I made multiple camping trips with my 29" AS with just a hitch ball and safety chains. No problem at all, even with bad axles.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I went to the mental Olympics trying to figure out what the truck hitch height would be with two variables: a new third party hitch mounted some unknown distance below the factory hitch (the manufacturer of the hitch could not answer the question) and a complete suspension modification. The hitch was installed first and my best calculations went up in smoke as soon as the suspension project was completed.

I was way off on my guesstimate. I am glad nothing had been ordered to interface between the truck and the Hensley Arrow hitch.

Sometimes I just have to let things come together to get an answer.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote