Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Newbie Trailer Jack question(s)

My spousal unit and I are retrieving her new toy in a couple days. We will be towing it home, about 400 miles (fingers crossed). When we arrive, we intend to put it at the top of our driveway, at least for the time being. We can tow it up, but can't back it into the planned parking spot. We'll need to unhook and then maneuver the beast into place somehow.

I've found something called a "Trailer Valet" that gets generally good reviews and wondered if any Streamers have any experience with it or any similar wheeled trailer jack that can be used to shoehorn the 22 foot, '68 Safari into a tight spot. It's a shade over $500 so I'm not excited about purchasing it if it can't do the job.

Thanks!

Jay Dunham
splyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
No personal experience but if you search the forum I think you will find others have used these with success.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
I've moved boats like this, and I'd stress safety if it's on a slope. Don't try it if the slope is too big, and get two buddies to chock the wheels on either side in case it gets a mind of it's own. They can also help look out and guide it in - the view from the tow bar is useless.

If it's a level site it's a breeze.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I assume you are talking about this?

https://www.trailervalet.com

For better feedback, perhaps you could give a few details about the length and slope of your driveway, and the especially the slope of your proposed parking spot (both front to back and L/R).

A few questions come to mind. Why can't you back in from the street? Once you pull up the driveway, is there room to park the trailer, and still get the tow vehicle out? If so, why not hire someone with a fork lift (with hitch ball attached) to shuffle the trailer?

Unless the parking spot is almost perfectly level, you might be playing with fire here IMO, but caution prevails . . .

Good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I agree, it is unlikely you can keep it from rolling downhill with that thing when the chocks are out.

If you have a truck, you could weld a hitch receiver on the front frame. Much more maneuverability for parking the trailer, and you can see what's going on.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks for the responses so far. Enlightening.

The driveway is about 35 yards, top to bottom. It's steep (maybe 25 degrees) for the bottom 25 yards, but the top 10 (or so) are level and there's a parking area to the left of the top that is about 26 feet wide - the twenty-two footer will barely fit. My goal is to shoehorn it in there, where it will be invisible from the street.

If I pull up as far as I can, I think the AS axle will be on pretty level ground. Ideally, I would then just move it laterally and forward some 10 yards into place and back the truck out. That's what I want to use the Trailervalet for.

I understand the need to chock the wheels "aggressively" before unhooking.

An expert might (and I stress "might") be able to back up the drive and into place but I have no pretensions of being able to do that. I'm pretty good, but that would be unbelievably difficult. Also, my tow vehicle is fairly marginal (Honda Ridgeline) to begin with. It might strain mightily, even in reverse, to get up the first 25 yards.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, Jay, for the details and wise forbearance on backing it up the hill on your own. Are you sure about 25 degrees? That seems very extreme IMO.

If you must have the trailer at that location, personally I would consider hiring a skilled tow truck to back it up the hill for you. In the long run, the cost of doing this once in a while will be a very minor expense relative to your overall investment.

Be sure to get it level fore and aft and L/R so you can use the fridge when you want, in your new guest cottage!

Good luck . . .

Peter
Old 10-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
The trailer valet is excellent device. But if your TV is going to struggle on that slop, the trailer valet will too.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks again.

You're probably right, Peter. 25 Degrees is probably a bit much but it's at least 15. You may be right about having it backed in by a pro.

Gsmblue, I'm pretty certain if I pull the TV all the way to the top (the driveway ends and then the yard, steep uphill, begins), the AS axle and wheels will have cleared the uphill part of the drive and be on level ground. I then intend to chock the wheels on the AS, unhook, pull the truck onto the grass (out of the way) and then use the Trailer Valet to wrangle the AS into place. At least, that's the plan.

BTW, I saw in your post in a different string that you have two Trailer Valets on your AS. Why two?

Lastly, does anybody know if I can buy a Valet in any retail establishments? Northern Tool? Harbor Freight?
Old 10-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Etrailer has them for $340.00. They claim to have brakes but I would not think they would hold much back.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Splyb, the tongue weight meant I had to use 2. I tried one but it smooshed the tires on the valet. The XL version was not available a year ago...

I am, actually looking to sell both as I don't use them anymore..
Old 10-27-2015, 01:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by splyb View Post
Thanks again.

You're probably right, Peter. 25 Degrees is probably a bit much but it's at least 15. You may be right about having it backed in by a pro.

Gsmblue, I'm pretty certain if I pull the TV all the way to the top (the driveway ends and then the yard, steep uphill, begins), the AS axle and wheels will have cleared the uphill part of the drive and be on level ground. I then intend to chock the wheels on the AS, unhook, pull the truck onto the grass (out of the way) and then use the Trailer Valet to wrangle the AS into place. At least, that's the plan.
[snip]
Sorry to butt in again, but I feel the need to caution you, Jay, that -- if there is ANY slope to the driveway where you have just parked the trailer, once you try to move it away from the firm resistance of the wheel chocks, the forces of gravity plus the two separate momentums of the moving Valet and trailer (even if small) may quickly and unpredictably overwhelm your ability to control the Trailer Valet's path.

And once this imbalance of forces starts, it could accelerate very very quickly . . . very . . .

If the parking area is absolutely level you should be OK once the chocks disappear as your safety net . . .

Picture the crucial slope to consider being right where the Trailer Valet's wheels are -- THIS is where things could get out of hand in my opinion, but of course the trailer would follow an out-of-control Valet . . .

PS -- OT -- there has to be some movie about such a valet? "Being There" with Peter Sellers comes to mind, at least on the "valet" part -- and I guess the "out-of-control" part as well albeit in an odd-ball way!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Keep the 'break away' cable close at hand.. should the AS get away from you, pull the cable so the brakes engage!!! (if the battery is good in the AS)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
"Break-away cable"?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Power Caster Trailer Dolly

I use an electric dolly by Power Caster <http://www.powercaster.com>to park my trailer where I never could maneuver it with a vehicle, even one with a hitch on the front bumper. (That latter solution works great if you have enough room.) I would add that as well as a forward/reverse switch to drive the wheel, I have a switch on the handle to engage the trailer's electric brakes which are actuated via the breakaway switch circuit.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powercaster.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	251117  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
San Jose , California
A Jeep Wrangler with a hitch would probably solve the problem. Hitch the trailer to the Jeep, put the Jeep in low range 4WD and inch up the hill. The Jeep is narrow and short so it will fit anywhere the trailer will. Two spotters, one on each side, to help guide the tow vehicle driver would be a good idea as well. Time to call in a favor from a friend with a Jeep.

I personally wouldn't consider using a powered dolly on the slope you describe.
ajnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #17

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Trailer Mover with a Power Caster

We have our 30' FC parked beside the barn in a hard S turn to park it.

We bought a power caster Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler
We got the one with 2 wheels since the FC is heavy in hitch weight and overall weight.

It works fine, but takes some practice, and also needs a power cord.
It will not control a roll, so a 2 x 4 at the ready to put under the drive wheels, or friends at the side of the trailer with wheel chocks at ready.
Fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'll butt in and add my 2¢ worth of caution: Whatever you do be very very careful to not let the trailer get away from you, and certainly do not get in the way of it if it starts to go. We have a 19' Bambi and it is far heavier than we would be able to stop by brute force if it got away. Be safe.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The power jack seems cheaper than hiring someone to move your trailer out and back every time you want to go camping. That could run some heavy $$$$$.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Imho

Paying someone to teach you how to back up a trailer would be worth considering. It's a towing skill that most need. You might start practicing with a rented enclosed U-Haul trailer. Lighter weight, but similar backing skills required and you could practice now before you pick up the AS.

A spotter, maybe two when you start out, would help. Not a good idea to continue to move if you can't see your spotter's signals.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote