Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Power Caster Trailer Dolly

I use an electric dolly by Power Caster <http://www.powercaster.com>to park my trailer where I never could maneuver it with a vehicle, even one with a hitch on the front bumper. (That latter solution works great if you have enough room.) I would add that as well as a forward/reverse switch to drive the wheel, I have a switch on the handle to engage the trailer's electric brakes which are actuated via the breakaway switch circuit.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powercaster.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	251117  

"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
San Jose , California
A Jeep Wrangler with a hitch would probably solve the problem. Hitch the trailer to the Jeep, put the Jeep in low range 4WD and inch up the hill. The Jeep is narrow and short so it will fit anywhere the trailer will. Two spotters, one on each side, to help guide the tow vehicle driver would be a good idea as well. Time to call in a favor from a friend with a Jeep.

I personally wouldn't consider using a powered dolly on the slope you describe.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #17

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Trailer Mover with a Power Caster

We have our 30' FC parked beside the barn in a hard S turn to park it.

We bought a power caster Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler
We got the one with 2 wheels since the FC is heavy in hitch weight and overall weight.

It works fine, but takes some practice, and also needs a power cord.
It will not control a roll, so a 2 x 4 at the ready to put under the drive wheels, or friends at the side of the trailer with wheel chocks at ready.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'll butt in and add my 2¢ worth of caution: Whatever you do be very very careful to not let the trailer get away from you, and certainly do not get in the way of it if it starts to go. We have a 19' Bambi and it is far heavier than we would be able to stop by brute force if it got away. Be safe.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The power jack seems cheaper than hiring someone to move your trailer out and back every time you want to go camping. That could run some heavy $$$$$.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Imho

Paying someone to teach you how to back up a trailer would be worth considering. It's a towing skill that most need. You might start practicing with a rented enclosed U-Haul trailer. Lighter weight, but similar backing skills required and you could practice now before you pick up the AS.

A spotter, maybe two when you start out, would help. Not a good idea to continue to move if you can't see your spotter's signals.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #21
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We did not have the slope, but had a very narrow (1936 vintage) driveway with brick porch 6" off the driveway edge. In rear of house we had to maneuver an ess curve precisely to kick the trailer behind the house and to the yard side of the garage.

I couldn't get the hang of backing the 22' Airstream in. Tried laying out a curve with water hose on the driveway. Practiced frequently, just didn't get it. Months along, an Airstream friend, a 3rd gen Airstreamer, worked on the brakes for me and offered to return the trailer.

I watched him pull up in front of the house, back the trailer from the street onto this 9' driveway and all the way past the porch and into the narrow space by the garage. He never reset once, did it in one smooth backing.

Then I had the confidence I could figure it out even tho I had not nearly his experience. And I got it. Again, I didn't have the slope issue, but . . . I had thought of getting a powered dolly until I watched Mart do this backing for us. Wow!

Watch someone else who is really good do this for you once or twice. Take the weight distribution/sway control loose on your hitch before you back up the driveway. Do it yourself. A useful towing skill you'll be glad you have.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #22
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
A different kind of trailer dolly

I met a guy in Ashland, Oregon who had these motors bolted on a box tube in front of the axle his late-model Bambi. Knurled cylinders engaged the rubber of the tire, which he activated with a remote control, so he could "drive" the trailer -- slowly -- walking around it to check his progress. He said he had a long narrow driveway that made it impossible (for him...) to back his trailer up on the ball coupler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	251257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	251258  

Name:	IMG_2916.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	251259  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by splyb View Post
Thanks again.

You're probably right, Peter. 25 Degrees is probably a bit much but it's at least 15. You may be right about having it backed in by a pro.
[snip]
Good morning Jay,

Well you have plenty of novel suggestions to consider here. As you seem to appreciate, the skill to back up your new (old) trailer into the tight spot is something which you will have at some point, but don't now. Decades ago an old-timer taught me a really simple way to back up trailers, which makes it as simple as riding a bike, but it seems like now is not the time to start that discussion. Once learned, it really does become as simple as DreamStreamr said yesterday about his friend Mart doing it in one smooth push. Hard to believe, but it can be REALLY easy . . .

I replied to your post about stated-value insurance.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ce-108569.html

Hope you are not feeling too overwhelmed by this project today.

Once you get over these initial hurdles I am guessing you and your wife will be very happy with the '68 Safari.

Unfortunately, the road can be bumpy at times. Hang in there . . .
Old 10-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #24
EEC
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Dover Foxcroft , Maine
The Trailer Valet 5X is rated for 5000 lbs trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight. According to the specs that's what my '69 31 foot Sovereign is. On flat ground is the 5X sufficient?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Alright: WE DID IT!!

First, thanks so much, to everyone, for your responses. I had a lot to consider. And while I plan to learn the art of backing, befriend a good tow truck driver, search my acquaintances for Jeeps and consider a motorized solution, this time I went with the Valet. It worked like a charm after we drove 400 miles there and 400 miles back in one day. Turns out the seller was right: "She pulls pretty good".

Once we got 'er to the top of the drive, I installed the Valet. We then turned our 25 foot purchase 180 degrees in a 25 X 30 space, and wedged it in as to be invisible from the street - bringing us into compliance with restrictive covenants. The Valet performed flawlessly, even on some slight, unavoidable inclines. And the asphalt was wet, to boot.

I'd like to give a shout out to a good egg we met at the point of purchase. Once hooked up, we couldn't get the blinkers, running or brake lights to work. The seller blamed our truck wiring and we blamed the AS wiring. I recalled seeing an AS rebuild place, quite coincidentally, about tree miles away on Highway 84 so we unhooked and headed that way to see if the proprietor could lend us a multi-meter.

The fella was a pleasure to meet and talk to. His name is Rodney Bond, his shop is American Vintage Trailers (americanvintagetrailers.com), Gatesville, Texas. Nice, nice shop with nice, nice people. He had several trailers there, probably a dozen or so and, when we arrived, was working on a 1958 "Air Flight" or "Aeroflight". He and an employee were involved in some intricate wood work and it was plain Rodney was having the time of his life. Anyone considering contracting a complete renovation should certainly consider Rodney. He's a craftsman who takes great pride and pleasure in his work - a rare find these days.

He couldn't locate his multi-meter but didn't need to. He told us how to address the light problem - it wasn't the truck or the trailer wiring and his suggestion worked like a charm. An hour later we were on the road. He charged nothing and asked for nothing. Terrific guy and a credit to the AS community.

So, thanks again to all and... see ya on down the road, Jack!
Old 10-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great news thanks for the update!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Please share the solution for the lights problem.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
We hooked up, zilch. Seller said the lights were fine at last tow and questioned our already-marginal TV, a Honda Ridgeline. Rodney said he was almost sure the problem was excess crud/rust on the ball preventing a good "ground" (The trailer is grounded through the ball? News to me.) Alternatively, he suggested our 7-blade connector, having never been used previously, might be a bit rusty or cruddy, too. He said squirt a little WD40 in there and plug-unplug several times. As for the ball, he said to unhook, squirt a bit of WD40 on top of the ball (any sort of lubricant would do), re-hook, then rock back and forth a few times to establish a solid metal-to-metal contact between the ball and the hitch. We did both and voila! On they came, fully functional.