Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Newark , Delaware
Newbie question on electric brakes

Hi Everyone,
Very new here, have purchased a 2006 23ft Safari which we hope to pickup on Saturday. We are coming from a small TT, a T@B which our 2000 Toyota Tacoma towed easily. Our Tacoma is rated for 5000 lbs. This is a temporary TV, we are looking to buy something bigger.
In reading everything it looks like we need the electric brake controller. Can we tow her home for about 50 miles on mostly flat terrain? Will it ruin our TV? The previous owner towed with a Honda Ridgeline which is also rated at 5000lb.
Are there other factors which I should know about before we try to tow her home?
Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Beth

Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Congratulations on your purchase!

Towing without brakes is a bad idea.

It won't damage you're truck unless you get in to an accident because you can't stop.

I would suggest you buy a good brake controller which can be moved to your next tow vehicle. That way you will be ready to tow when you buy the next truck. I have one controller which I can move between my Tundra and Flex, I've installed a quick release bracket in to both vehicles.

If you're truck came with the towing package (hitch and 7 pin plug on the rear of the truck) there will be a plug under the dash to plug the brake controller in to. If the truck is not pre-wired for trailer brakes you will need to have this installed before you tow.

Good luck and be safe!

AldeanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Oh ya,
you'll also need a weight distributing hitch, Airstream's have heavy tongue weights and Toyota's have relatively soft suspension.
AldeanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Hi Moonkitty, we also started camping with a T@B! We loved that trailer but the longer we camped the more we wanted a bathroom and more space. Our was Silver and Yellow.

As for your questions, yes you will need a brake controller, most trucks and suvs with towing packages will either have a plug for your controller, or some even have the controllers built in. I only had to get a controller and the adaptor cable, most are all plug and play these days.

As for getting it home, I think your biggest issue will be if you don't have a weight distribution bars the tongue weight of the trailer will cause the back of your Tacoma to squat and your front wheels will be lighter. Its not fun driving with your truck pointing upwards and not level.

Damon
Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Newark , Delaware
Thank you for all your replies. We've already decided we should not pull with the Tacoma. We hope to have a friend take it home for us and then when we decide on a TV we'll have it outfitted correctly.
A lot different than pulling the T@B and I should have researched a bit more but I sure have learned a lot this past week reading anyway.
Beth