Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Topeka , Kansas
Newbie alert on trailer hitches

I am getting ready to order my new 30ft international signature tomorrow. Thanks to all the great reading that I have gotten on this forum. I hate to start this again, but, I want to know if anyone has towed with both the Hensley and the ProPride? I have talked to both companies and watched all the videos. Hensley was very helpful and has sent me many emails and a DVD, the ProPride looks like a better product. When I talked to Sean at ProPride I was a little underwhelmed after all the recommendations on the forums. (He could have just had a bad day). All the AS dealers I contacted didn’t want me to get one of these hitches (no profit) but it sounds like the right thing to do for less stress driving. I will be using a 2013 Ford F250 diesel with a back up camera as my TV.
2club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up I'm biased....

......I vote for.

Many who question the pivot point projection hitch's are towing deprived, having never used them.

Welcome Aboard....

Bob
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I have not towed with the Hensley, but I love my ProPride. Originally I had a Reese system, but didn't care for the push-pull feeling when passed by 18 wheelers. Once I changed over to the ProPride, towing became a "finger-tip" driving experience.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The ProPride is superior by design, making the Arrow essentially obsolete. The patent-holder did his homework and re-engineered some basic irritations. The virtue of the latter is today finding one at an ultra-low price used. But one still has the frustrations of the thing (I have one). There is no competitor to either outside of the differently-designed PULLRITE.

2Airishuman owned both VPP hitches, and posted extensively. As this forum has also never anyone since who could post relevant threads as links as fast as he, I highly recommend you read all that he may include in his commentaries, direct & indirect, on hitches of this type . . even though it may call for multiple screens open at once (links on links). Quite the reader with great recall (and organization).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP: Check out the Andersen WD/sway control system before making your decision. It might just surprise you in its effectiveness and benefits (cost, weight and ease of use, etc.) over all the others on the market. A plus is that the folks at Andersen are great to do business with and in my experience they rarely if ever have a bad day.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

.... it's so distressing being obsolete.....by design.

And the winner is....?

Bob

"An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be."
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Dont like how it distributes weight. The chains pull the ball into the coupler latch Very Hard, thats not good. The couplers on trailers were not designed for that.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Carl
Which one are you referring too??? Just started to look into hitches, never thought they would be so expensive ( Hensley-Propride)
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Dont like how it distributes weight. The chains pull the ball into the coupler latch Very Hard, thats not good. The couplers on trailers were not designed for that.

Oh my...I guess the Anderson is now obsolete by design also.

Bob
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
There is no doubt in my mind that the VPP type of HITCHES are the best.... Namely the Hensley and the ProPride. As the advertisement says they do not reduce sway... they totally eliminate it. I presently own a Hensley hitch, but if I were buying new today I would purchase the PP. It has several features that the Hensley does not have and one of these is the adjustable stinger. From what I understand the PP is also easier to hitch up. These hitches are expensive, but in my opinion they are worth every penny.
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Oh my...I guess the Anderson is now obsolete by design also.

Bob
Some of the folks using the Andersen hitch with larger Airstreams have been having some "issues" with the coupler. Seems it's coming unlatched on the road, assuming from the pressure, and could possibly cause an accident because they report the coupler will lift off of the ball. Andersen has yet to respond, to my knowledge.

These same users are currently converting their trailers to another type of coupler from the Atwood.

The Andersen continues to work well with the smaller trailers.

I've never been a big fan of the Atwood couplers as even when they are working correctly, and are virtually new, they have a lot of play on the ball.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
How about the Blue-Ox
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintent View Post
How about the Blue-Ox
Have no experience, but I have heard of some problems with their washer compression anti-sway system.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I'm not familiar with the Blue-Ox. What is it similar in design to?
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I'm not familiar with the Blue-Ox. What is it similar in design to?
Blue Ox - Weight Distribution

It appears they have a new model I am not familiar with.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Steve, I don't believe that anyone has actually reported that their trailer came "unlatched" on the road while using an Andersen WD system. A couple of folks have reported noticeable play of the latch lever on trailers using Attwood couplers. I have a suspicion that this is due to wear of the latch and may have less to do with the Andersen than is suspected. I have a Marvel coupler on my trailer and the ball latches up tight with no slop or excess play. I have looked for reports of this issue on several other forums and no one else is reporting having experienced the same coupler problem. That said the coupler that some are moving too is the Quickbite. It appears to be an excellent coupler, very strong, easy to hook up and unhook and very secure in its operation.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
AWCHIEF,

This is directly from HowieE's post about the problem with his coupler:

"My latch lifted 1/2 in after I had moved the rig less than foot and when I reached my next camp the ball fell out of the coupling as I took the load off."

Sorry if I made an incorrect statement, but thought I stated it correctly when I said "could cause an accident", but maybe not.

Regards,
Steve
Old 02-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No problem, I agree that it could cause a problem also for folks with Attwood couplers.

Just a curiosity question, does anyone know when Airstream switched from Marvel to Attwood couplers? I drove over to the local Airsteam dealership this afternoon to do some window shopping and while there I took a close look at the couplers on the new models. My Marvel coupler is built very solid and appears to me to be much heavier duty construction then current Attwood couplers. I wonder if it was another cost cutting move by Airstream to start using Attwood couplers or if they are just currently the industry standard.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
No problem, I agree that it could cause a problem also for folks with Attwood couplers.

Just a curiosity question, does anyone know when Airstream switched from Marvel to Attwood couplers? I drove over to the local Airsteam dealership this afternoon to do some window shopping and while there I took a close look at the couplers on the new models. My Marvel coupler is built very solid and appears to me to be much heavier duty construction then current Attwood couplers. I wonder if it was another cost cutting move by Airstream to start using Attwood couplers or if they are just currently the industry standard.
I have no idea what other companies use, buy my 2010 enclosed cargo/vehicle trailer has an Atwood on it. It may be common in the industry at this point.