Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I'm not familiar with the Blue-Ox. What is it similar in design to?
Blue Ox - Weight Distribution

It appears they have a new model I am not familiar with.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Steve, I don't believe that anyone has actually reported that their trailer came "unlatched" on the road while using an Andersen WD system. A couple of folks have reported noticeable play of the latch lever on trailers using Attwood couplers. I have a suspicion that this is due to wear of the latch and may have less to do with the Andersen than is suspected. I have a Marvel coupler on my trailer and the ball latches up tight with no slop or excess play. I have looked for reports of this issue on several other forums and no one else is reporting having experienced the same coupler problem. That said the coupler that some are moving too is the Quickbite. It appears to be an excellent coupler, very strong, easy to hook up and unhook and very secure in its operation.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
AWCHIEF,

This is directly from HowieE's post about the problem with his coupler:

"My latch lifted 1/2 in after I had moved the rig less than foot and when I reached my next camp the ball fell out of the coupling as I took the load off."

Sorry if I made an incorrect statement, but thought I stated it correctly when I said "could cause an accident", but maybe not.

Regards,
Steve
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No problem, I agree that it could cause a problem also for folks with Attwood couplers.

Just a curiosity question, does anyone know when Airstream switched from Marvel to Attwood couplers? I drove over to the local Airsteam dealership this afternoon to do some window shopping and while there I took a close look at the couplers on the new models. My Marvel coupler is built very solid and appears to me to be much heavier duty construction then current Attwood couplers. I wonder if it was another cost cutting move by Airstream to start using Attwood couplers or if they are just currently the industry standard.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
No problem, I agree that it could cause a problem also for folks with Attwood couplers.

Just a curiosity question, does anyone know when Airstream switched from Marvel to Attwood couplers? I drove over to the local Airsteam dealership this afternoon to do some window shopping and while there I took a close look at the couplers on the new models. My Marvel coupler is built very solid and appears to me to be much heavier duty construction then current Attwood couplers. I wonder if it was another cost cutting move by Airstream to start using Attwood couplers or if they are just currently the industry standard.
I have no idea what other companies use, buy my 2010 enclosed cargo/vehicle trailer has an Atwood on it. It may be common in the industry at this point.