Old 01-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have had the Equal-I-Zer and now ProPride. It takes only a few minutes to hook up either, I prefer the ProPride because the hitch head and w.d. bars stay on the trailer, it's easier and cleaner. The w.d. is infinitely adjustable with a turn of the screw jacks and have no effect on the sway elimination assembly. We took the time right off the bat to learn the hitching procedure thoroughly and it's nothing to it since.

On the road, there is no comparison. Drive a Hensley/ProPride equipped combination sometime and you will know.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #30
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
I agree that the Hensley/PP are not that hard to hitch up, the first time I hitched up with the Hensley & a Pathfinder TV with rear camera, & I got close, adjusted the height & angle of the box relative to the stinger, then in the first time.

That said, when I have gotten into squirelly angles between the 4 TV wheels - & I forget to get the angles set-up - then I do take a few tries, until I figure out what I forgot to do & get it aligned right. But then, that's my brain fart - not the hitch, & you have to get any of the others with a ball mount aligned correctly with the ball/coupler too.

Plus 10-15 minutes reattaching the head & spring bars etc. before you even start to hitch-up on the other WD hitches seems to be left off the list of things to do to get hitched going when non-Hensley/PP guys are talking.

The Hensley/PP is always on the trailer fully set-up, you load the stinger into the TV's receiver & back up to the Hensley/PP receiver, set the angle, back the stinger into the "box" receiver, latch & safety pin the catch arms, then adjust your WD springs with the jack cranks.

Of course in any of the types, you also have to hook-up the safety chains, emergency brake actuator & connect the 7-blade electrical - which are all the same time & work amount in any case.

I think the OP & everyone should research the options, try them all out, then pick what they're most comfortable with & fits their budget.

Good Luck, over & out!
Tom
///////

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:21 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
Thanks to everyone for the incredibly helpful advice. At the moment I'm leaning towards going with the dealer recommendation but I will keep an eye on the Hensley/PP as a potential upgrade once we learn our ropes.

Given the somewhat overwhelming list of stuff we have to arrange before we hit the road (you'll hear more from me on storage, winterization, equipment and a ton of other things), this thread helped me a lot understand that, while there may be better solutions, what the dealer is suggesting is well within the range of acceptable, so it's good to have one item knocked out of the list. Can't wait to start cruising!
Old 01-31-2016, 03:26 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Just over 5 yrs ago I went through the same thing. Ended up with a Toyota Durango 5.7 with an Equilizer hitch and a 30' Classic. I now have a Silverado 1500 with a 30' Classic and dropped the hitch (pull on the ball). I am very happy. Have pulled this way for 15,000 miles over lots of mountains. You will have lots of truck and will continue to learn over time. Taking you time and being careful is the the key to safety. Not driving too fast, not too many miles in a day and picking routes with less traffic. Get lots of rest and look at situation over before you take it on. Some roads and some campgrounds present challenges. I have not had any bad problems, but some small ones and they could all of been avoided had I not been too tired or tried to do it to fast or be in a situation when I felt I "had to make it work". I could have moved on to a different campground.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:42 AM   #33
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
Just over 5 yrs ago I went through the same thing. Ended up with a Toyota Durango 5.7 with an Equilizer hitch and a 30' Classic. I now have a Silverado 1500 with a 30' Classic and dropped the hitch (pull on the ball). I am very happy. Have pulled this way for 15,000 miles over lots of mountains. You will have lots of truck and will continue to learn over time. Taking you time and being careful is the the key to safety. Not driving too fast, not too many miles in a day and picking routes with less traffic. Get lots of rest and look at situation over before you take it on. Some roads and some campgrounds present challenges. I have not had any bad problems, but some small ones and they could all of been avoided had I not been too tired or tried to do it to fast or be in a situation when I felt I "had to make it work". I could have moved on to a different campground.
No WD or sway control?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 AM   #34
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I also towed many thousands of miles.... Never stopped to figure out.
Many "situations" we "live with" are quite tolerable with careful driving.

This is fine with all "parameters" being in proper condition... We can list many which affect handling. Proper "load balance" (and securing of items)of TV and AS, AS tongue height, proper/adequate TV... And more.

These are the beginning of the "basics".

Presume you are "operating within design specifications"... Then an oncoming car appears in your lane.. You have to g "onto a soft shoulder... How will the AS, TV combination perform? Well, that is anyone's guess. Obviously, this depends on situation conditions, facts and driver action/reaction.

Now, add to the above scenario an "adequate" AS/TV rig... You may do fine.. But if the rig is "over speced", I.e.; more truck than you need, the outcome has better chance of no damage or loss of control due to exceeding design by introducing additional unplanned/expected factors.

When this "unexpected" traffic occurred to us, the rig performed flawlessly, almost as if there were no trailer behind us!! Skill? Luck? Guardian Angel? Divine Mercy? Probably some if not all the above. Result? No damage due to failure to maintain control. But I did leave a big mud mess on side of the AS and tire track in the shoulder.

Oh, my Wife and 3 Grandkritters were with me. Proper rig... Worth every penny "when you need it.

There is never enough altitude, speed, visibility, envelope or ammunition ... In Motorcycling you do not "dress for the ride", you dress for the fall...

2012-2500 HD Duramax.. +65k, 1999-34' AS.. ProPride hitch(don't leave home without it)

Peace..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
I tow our AS with a F250 diesel using a Reese dual cam sway control unit. That setup has performed well for me. I think it comes down to what sway control one believes is best for them to drive their rig safely.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Have used a Hensley happily with our 31 ft trailer and 2500HD diesel for 6 years.

I do believe that Hensley / Propride do offer the most relaxing - and perhaps safest towing experience, (I have towed with other styles for many users previously), albeit with a couple of trade-offs:

- considerably higher cost

- more of a learning curve to learn how to hook up quickly on the first attempt, and even when you think you have achieved the skill, now and then you might still have to mess around a bit now and then to get things hooked up.

The trick is to take your time and get the angles right and don't let bystanders get you flustered with their well-meaning advice (unless maybe they too have this style hitch!)

There are a few tips people can provide that make this easier, a backup camera being one.

I have no regrets at all going with the Hensley and I expect would feel the same with the ProPride.

When I bought mine, the ProPride had "Just" come on the market and for the slight extra cost I decided to go with the original which had been around for years. If buying now, it would be a harder decision for me between the two!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
In the long list of reasons that we bought an A/S was the aerodynamics of the unit. After towing two "box" type with no W/D we opted for an equal-i-zer on our first A/S. we have moved from a 19 to a 20 and finally a 25 and still tow with an EQ and with over 100,000 miles of towing see no reason to experiment with anything else. More often than not towing issues are negated with experience and patience.
Get whatever you are comfortable with and take your time learning how to tow.

George
Old 01-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We went with a Airsafe hitch that allows the trailer to ride smoothly and independent from the tow vehicle.We combined that with a Equilizer 4way WD and we have zero sway and it makes it very stable.Last year coming out of the Grand Canyon we had winds approaching 70mph.
Towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton requires a different set up than a 1/2 ton.The Airsafe hitch is the key to a smooth ride for your trailer and is something that the Hensley or Propride do not offer.We have used this system for 50,000 miles and I would not change a thing.Trailer rides on air without sway and the truck rides smooth without the jerk back that you get without it on bumps or pot holes.
The Propride and Hensley will not work with a Airsafe hitch.
I believe that Hensley and Propride hitches are good units but they have there place.There are better choices for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Congrats! We are awaiting delivery of a 27 FB International and just drove home a GMC 2500! We bought the Equalizer hitch from the dealer and will have them install it for us. When I started hauling horses, my husband took me to the parking lot of our local high school and put out cones and had me practice backing the trailer and driving it into spaces he marked out. We had a lot of fun doing it and it came in handy when we were backing our boat into the lake. He says I can thread a needle with a trailer and we got a kick out of the guys staring at us with looks of awe and then asking their wives "why can't you do that?". haha
Old 02-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I will chime in with another vote for a ProPride hitch.
New truck and trailer will be $150,000.
What's a $2,600 hitch to protect that?
Cheap insurance...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Newbie advice on hitching

Here are my observations.

As a rule trailer sway is not much of an issue at about 60 mph and under. At this speed any sway control or even no sway control will do...

Sway starts with the trailer, and sway really doesn't care how big the tow vehicle is.

I am a gadget sceptic. This is just a simple fact. I despise gadgetry for the sake of gadgetry instead I look for plain and simple solutions. That said;

If a person wants to have a rock solid platform that adds confidence and contributes greatly to the joy of towing, that without a doubt adds a large safety margin for an inexperienced tower, go with a Hensley designed hitch.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Trailer sway isn't really ever an issue until an 18 wheeler passes or a down hill grade over 60 mph with crosswinds.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote