Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
bfk
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Eugene , Oregon
New single-arm weight distributing hitch

Has anyone any experience with the new Light Duty single arm hitch from Reese?

It's rated at up to 4000# and uses a single spring bar. It's shown on Reese's website, but you have to hunt for it; it's also at http://www.drawtite.com/dt3205.html.

It sounds like just the thing for our Bambi, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has used one.

Thanks,
Brian
bfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
In the picture the hitch jack has been removed.

I wonder how they work around that. I use the jack on my 2 arm WD hitch to raise the trailer and truck and attach the bars.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Clearance problem

It sure looks like there would be a clearance problem with the jack. I would check it out. Interesting concept
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
bfk
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Eugene , Oregon
Clearance problem

From the Reese website:

"This light duty weight distributing system is especially designed for use with lighter weight trailers and pop-up campers. The center mount single bar is contoured to avoid interference with center mounted jacks. Easy to set up and use. The lift mechanism is designed to prevent interference with gas bottles or battery trays. Works with any 2" receiver.
The integrated lifter bar feature provides the advantage of allowing a single person to operate from one side of the trailer. This system works with both side and center mounted tongue jacks. The sway control platform allows you to put a friction sway control on either side of the trailer."

I haven't seen one, though I'd like to. I'd post the URL for the Reese page, but it seems to be one of those ever-so-clever portals where everything is run from a database and there are no useful URLs. If you go to http://www.reese.com, click on products on the top bar, then weight distribution on the left, then light duty, also on the left. Maybe I'll call the local distributor and see of they have one in stock on Monday.
bfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
In the picture the hitch jack has been removed.

I wonder how they work around that. I use the jack on my 2 arm WD hitch to raise the trailer and truck and attach the bars.
You won't need to do that with low tongue weight trailers, such that can use this single bar. You can lift by hand, without having to use the electric jack.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Friction Sway

Pictured below is what I was talking to one of the Reese customer serv. people about for our trailer. Is this the same as you have mentioned above? I, too, am wondering if anyone is using this type of sway control.

Friction Sway Control

The Friction Sway Control does exactly what its name implies, it uses friction to resist pivotal movement and thereby works against the effects of included sway. It operates on the principle of "stiffening" the coupling between the tow vehicle and trailer. The degree of "stiffening" or friction is adjusted to suit various trailer weights and towing conditions. Its operation is simple and uncomplicated. It doesn't prevent the generation of sway; it simply works to resist the forces once they have started.

R58060
Sway Control Ball

R26660
  • Installs and removes easily
  • Removes with two spring locking pins
  • Heavy construction for added reliability
  • Friction brake keeps trailer & tow vehicle stable
  • Quick attachment to trailer frame & ball mount

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I use that kind of sway control on the Caravel. So far we've never had any sway even in poor conditions, but we have a very long wheelbase tow vehicle as well.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Brian!

I too suspect clearance problems with the integrated lifter bar mechanism, but not with the tongue jack; rather my concern would be with the LP tanks. I am not as familiar with the 1960s Bambi as I am with the larger tandem axle Airstreams and first generation Argosys, but with the design of the LP tank mount pushed forward to allow for the spare tire to be mounted against the front wall of the trailer (a typical design feature of the early 1960s era Airstreams as well as the first generation Argosy trailers) could place the LP tanks in conflict with the lever arm mechanism (if the original LP tank mount hasn't been modified). One way to determine this would be to check the installation instructions (usually linked to on the Reese site) which should give the measurements for mounting the integrated lifter bar mechanism, and compare those measurements to the geometry of the hitch on your Vintage Bambi.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Friction Sway Control

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
Pictured below is what I was talking to one of the Reese customer serv. people about for our trailer. Is this the same as you have mentioned above? I, too, am wondering if anyone is using this type of sway control.

Friction Sway Control
I too have utilized the friction sway control in the past, but am not a fan of the technology. The manufactures instrcutions call for adjustments to be made whenever road conditions change -- tighten for high winds/heavy semi truck traffic -- loosen for rain/slick pavement conditions. It was frustrating to have to find safe places to pull off to make the needed adjustments -- with my coach, it was always evident very shortly if the conditions changed and these adjustments weren't made. It is also highly recommended that the sway bar be removed before backing in tight locations -- I bent one of these bars just trying to park my coach in a typical campground before learning that lesson.

Granted, the Reese Dual Cam system is about twice as much as the friction sway control, but once the weight distribution bars have been properly matched to the trailer/tow vehicle combination and the initial installation has been done according to instructions no further adjustments are required until either the tow vehicle is changed or there is a significant change in the way the coach is packed. I immediately switched my Minuet 6.0 Metre to the Dual Cam system when the Reese factory verified that the primary requirement for an effective setup with the Reese Dual Cam system is a trailer with a hitch weight of at least 400 pounds (my Minuet usually carries about 525 pounds on the hitch -- depending somewhat on the amount of water in the fresh water tanks).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
ok maybe this is the right thread to post these questions....

I have the older dual cam set up with the stirrups and such on the tongue of my 78. I have no bars, and a kind member here has offered me his set which is not in use.
Neither one of us is sure thought that I will have all the parts I need to run with this, and since the shipping will be pretty high...can anyone tell me what I will need?

He has the 750lb bars, and some odd other parts.

I have the pictured set up...maybe someone with the same set up can explain?

(the blue arrow was from a post about the flag holder)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reese.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	23961   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 009.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	23962  

Name:	AS 018.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	23963  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
missed this photo....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS 019.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	23964  
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:

I would NEVER tow without the friction sway control or my WD bars. The semi-rigid connection that both of them supply gives me better control of my van and trailer. Plus the WD bars distribute the weight to the front of the van. This is what makes it all nice and snug; like one big vehicle going down the road.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
ok maybe this is the right thread to post these questions....

I have the older dual cam set up with the stirrups and such on the tongue of my 78. I have no bars, and a kind member here has offered me his set which is not in use.
Neither one of us is sure thought that I will have all the parts I need to run with this, and since the shipping will be pretty high...can anyone tell me what I will need?

He has the 750lb bars, and some odd other parts.

I have the pictured set up...maybe someone with the same set up can explain?

(the blue arrow was from a post about the flag holder)
Looks like all you need are the straight WD bars with the cams at the ends. For your size trailer, 750lb bars might be just the ticket.
What are you towing with? If your tow vehicle is very heavy duty, then lighter bars might give you more sway control.
I found that the friction type sway control was terrible for my application, while I used it. It put restriction to the bend, but unfortunately both ways, slowed down starightening out of the rig as well. I ended up shelving it, and my rig felt much better afterwards. ( Suburban 1500 towing a 1971 TradeWind)
Old 07-28-2006, 06:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the member that has the bars says he thought he was mising the small bar that connects to the little ball on the hitch. So what does that do anyway?
Do I need it if I have the two long bars.
It would help if I actually saw one of these in use up close, but the photos I have seen don't quite explain to my thick head how it sets up.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
the member that has the bars says he thought he was mising the small bar that connects to the little ball on the hitch. So what does that do anyway?
It is called a friction sway control, such as the ones pictured earlier in this thread. One end connects to a small ball on the hitch, the other end connects to a similar small ball on the tongue. Teh device has an inner sliding steel bar, which can be clamped with a lever and 2 brake pad type friction pads to resist movement between hitch and trailer tongue. I found this setup cumbersome and inconsistent, others love it and have good success with it.
Quote:
Do I need it if I have the two long bars.
It would help if I actually saw one of these in use up close, but the photos I have seen don't quite explain to my thick head how it sets up.
Alan,

You should not be using a friction sway control with the Reese Dual Cam setup, as far as I know. The Reese dual cam setup has the sway control as an integral part of it's function, once properly set up.
Look at this site, it shows the components: http://www.reese-hitches.com/sway_controls.htm
Old 07-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks again,. so all I would need are the two bars, no extra connecting bar or anything from what I can tell. If that is the case I may be all set here. I can remove that extra small ball as well?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Thanks again,. so all I would need are the two bars, no extra connecting bar or anything from what I can tell. If that is the case I may be all set here. I can remove that extra small ball as well?
You can leave it on or remove it, with the dual cam you won't need it.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 AM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Good morning all - we have decided the friction control is NOT to our liking either, sooo now we must have help!! Anyone, can you help us determine what tongue weight our 22' Argosy Minuet would have? Kevin, you have the Reese Dual Cam, would the set up be the same for us? We tow w/ a 95 Tahoe 1500. We were thinking (after looking at Reese website) that the 10,000 tow capacity w/550 tongue (or should it be 750) would be correct on the hitch distribution setup. We always seem to not have all the info when trying the make decisions on stuff for our trailer (trailer is housed away from home). Thanks!!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
Good morning all - we have decided the friction control is NOT to our liking either, sooo now we must have help!! Anyone, can you help us determine what tongue weight our 22' Argosy Minuet would have? Kevin, you have the Reese Dual Cam, would the set up be the same for us? We tow w/ a 95 Tahoe 1500. We were thinking (after looking at Reese website) that the 10,000 tow capacity w/550 tongue (or should it be 750) would be correct on the hitch distribution setup. We always seem to not have all the info when trying the make decisions on stuff for our trailer (trailer is housed away from home). Thanks!!!
Your 6.7 Metre Minuet will need a setup very similar to what I have with my 6.0 Metre. You will likely, at most, have an additional 25 to 50 pounds on the hitch (part depends upon how much water is carried in the front mounted water tank and how much LP is in the propane tanks. I would expect the gross tongue weight on your Minuet to approach 575 pounds (my 6.0 Metre runs between 525 and 550 pounds depending upon how much water is in the fresh water tank).

With a half-ton vehicle, my suspicion is that a set of 500 pound weight bars may be ideal -- but I am not certain whether they are still readily available. I think Reese lists 600 pound as their lightest on the website. When towing with my 3/4-ton Suburban, I run a set of 350 light-weight special bars on my Minuet that are more than 26 years old and were a part of a light-weight hitch package that Reese offered in the late 1970s early 1970s. I have tried the 600 pound bars that I use when towing with my '75 Cadillac -- but they are far too stiff when towing with the Suburban.

I think that you will enjoy towing with the Dual Cam System. I just returned from a tour of about 1,000 miles to attend our Region 7 VAC Rally, and even with deluges, gusty winds (up to 50 MPH), and heavy truck traffic, the Dual Cam handled every situation without issue.

Kevin
AIR #827