Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
smithfield , North Carolina
New Quickbite coupler makes hooking up the trailer a breeze

FYI-Just put one of these couplers on my 99 Excella. I got it from JC Whitney and had local trailer shop install it. My old one kept getting hung. I was looking for a replacement when I ran across the Quickbite. It is just so awesome. It has rods built into it that line you up and all you have to do is just back into it and it's hooked. My wife is so glad she doesn't have to help me anymore, me too . It appears to be very well built and has a lifetime guarantee and it's super safe. They have a website at QuickBiteCouplers.com / New Revolutionary Trailer Coupler makes Trailer Towing Safe, Secure, Easier .
Morgan Fletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Nice hitch, and good idea, assuming it is strong enough. Hitching up is always one of those unplesant things you just get used to, but that hitch would make it easier, with less "help", and resulting "interaction" needed.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Fletc
FYI-Just put one of these couplers on my 99 Excella. ..
I would appreciate seeing a picture of your completed installation.

After viewing the video you linked to, I am having a hard time seeing how the product attaches to a Class III coupler.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Only problem I have with this little devise is That if the TV is not lined up perfectly centered with the trailer the ball croweds the tongue over which ever direction and puts strain on the jack,which can bend the screw. If this trailer is equiped with a dolly wheel that swivels ,then it doesnt present a problem.
Trust me I spent 45 yrs in the trucking business and have seen plenty of bent screws, and this trailer is about same thing and u wind up not being able to wind up.
Just my thoughts on the subject
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Real similr to the hitch I had on a trailer used for transporting my tractor, although alot more hefty and with the jaws to guide. That hitch worked real well for that weight load. This design looks to be a big improvement and pretty easy.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Quote:
FYI-Just put one of these couplers on my 99 Excella. I got it from JC Whitney and had local trailer shop install it.
According to your user profile, you only live 50 miles from the factory. Why would you order something from a company that is halfway across the country from you, and pay shipping both ways, to get something that's in your back yard?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkytheKid
According to your user profile, you only live 50 miles from the factory. Why would you order something from a company that is halfway across the country from you, and pay shipping both ways, to get something that's in your back yard?
It happens all the time...factories don't always sell retail and finding a retailer to sell it to you can be a PITA. I bought a flooring nailer that was made less than 12 miles from my house...but had to order it from a hardware/tool company in MN. BTW ever heard of drop shipping?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
An interesting video shot under a highly controlled situation. In the real world when hitching up my trailer is almost never sitting at the exact height as the truck. So just backing into the hitch is highly unlikely without some assistance to match the heights. Also as noted above our jack post were not designed for a RAM connection. If you want to continue to use this type of connection I would consider using a shoe on the jack and a pad under that shoe that would allow the trailer to move against the impact of the coupling without putting undue strain on the jack post. The problem there is you would always have to use wheel chocks to secure the trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I have to agree with MikeThefixit. If the hitch is unable to easily move, somethings got to give. I also see an issue with matching the heigth of the ball to the heigth of the "grabber". If it is off by more than a half inch, I can't see how it would "grab". Am I missing something here? We use the fluoresent poles from Camping World to match things up. I usually get it the first time.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would also be a little concerned with the 1/4" (or there abouts) hinge pins that the hitch ball holders pivot on. I don't know if that would be enough holding power for my peace of mind. That isn't much holding the trailer to the TV.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Nice hitch, and good idea, assuming it is strong enough. Hitching up is always one of those unplesant things you just get used to, but that hitch would make it easier, with less "help", and resulting "interaction" needed.

Sorry for the late reply. The system gave me a new user name that I knew nothiong about so I couldn't get in to reply. This coupler is stronger than the one that I had. It goes to 15,000lbs, my old one was for 12,500lbs. At least that is what the guy that put it on told me.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Sorry I couldn't get to your questions. The system shortened my user name and I couldn't get online to reply. I hope this reply takes care of most issues. As for the strength. The guy that put it on said it was one of the heaviest couplers he had ever seen. This thing weighs about 20 lbs.

I will try to get my neighbor to take a picture. I am not that advanced, but the guy that put it on said that he just cut off the old coupler and welded the new one in it's place. I got the 2 5/16" what they call an A-body.

As for why I bought it online. You can only buy them from a dealer, not direct. I could have bought it from adealer in N.C. cheaper online but I have done business with JC Whitney before and if I didn't like it, I knew that I would not have a problem returning it to them.

The screw, I think you are talking about the jack. It does move it from side to side but the jack works just fine. Only used it a couple of times and this could be a problem after more wear and tear but I doubt it. Large tractor trailer might have 20,000-30,000lbs of tounge weight. My trailer only has about 600lbs that I know of. I used to jerk on it myself trying to move it over a little bit to line up the coupler. I think I even kicked it a few times.

You do have to have the height close. This was a little interesting at first until I read the directions. I park my trailer on level ground. Where ever I park it, after I unhook, it is at the right height to hook back up. I don't even use the rods anymore. I just line it up with the side mirrors and that gets me close enough. I just keep coming back until I hear it hook. Remember I haven't used it in that many places but I haven't had a problem here. I do check the height each time, but this is one time out checking the height were I can see it perfectly from the back of the truck and is not the usual several trips back and forth to line up something that I can't see( ball to coupler)

As for the holding power, I go by their website. Did you see the coupler that was in the accident. After looking at that, I am not worried about the strength.

I think that catches me up for now.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Once the rig is sucessfully coupled the first time yoju could mark the jack post to return to the correct height after parking and leveling. That would get you to the correct height. It does appear that more caution is needed to engage this type of hitch, but popping off the ball would be less likely. Win some, lose some. I see it as more + than - . Interesting thread, thanks for posting!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
I forgot the one about the pins. I was concerned about that myself until David (my installer) showed me that the latch that held my old coupler shut was mounted on a 1/4" rivet at it's mounting place. I had never noticed that before, but he is right.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
Once the rig is sucessfully coupled the first time yoju could mark the jack post to return to the correct height after parking and leveling. That would get you to the correct height. It does appear that more caution is needed to engage this type of hitch, but popping off the ball would be less likely. Win some, lose some. I see it as more + than - . Interesting thread, thanks for posting!
What you do is when you see the drawbar lift up in the receiver( I'm not that smart on terms. I read this in the instructions) You stop jacking, which by the way saves me about 20-30 cranks on the old jack because now I don't have to crank it up above the ball anymore. I am planning on getting an electric one soon, but that will still save some wear and tear on the motor. It seems to me the higher you have to raise it the harder it is. That way no matter were you park, you always have it right. If you switch TV's you will need to get out and check the height one time to be sure. Trust me. It is easier to check the height than to line those things up from inside the cab. I guess I need a camara too.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
What you do is when you see the drawbar lift up in the receiver( I'm not that smart on terms. I read this in the instructions) You stop jacking, which by the way saves me about 20-30 cranks on the old jack because now I don't have to crank it up above the ball anymore. I am planning on getting an electric one soon, but that will still save some wear and tear on the motor. It seems to me the higher you have to raise it the harder it is. That way no matter were you park, you always have it right. If you switch TV's you will need to get out and check the height one time to be sure. Trust me. It is easier to check the height than to line those things up from inside the cab. I guess I need a camara too.
From your comments about not having to jack the TV/Trailer combination above the hitching hight you are not useing a weight distributing hitch. Please give us a discription of your TV and hitch you are using. You may be in need of hitching and towing advise.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I would appreciate seeing a picture of your completed installation.

After viewing the video you linked to, I am having a hard time seeing how the product attaches to a Class III coupler.

Thanks,
Tom
I will try to get my neighbor to take a picture. I am not that advanced, but the guy that put it on said that he just cut off the old coupler and welded the new one in it's place. I got the 2 5/16" what they call an A-body.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
From your comments about not having to jack the TV/Trailer combination above the hitching hight you are not useing a weight distributing hitch. Please give us a discription of your TV and hitch you are using. You may be in need of hitching and towing advise.
TV is a 2003 Chevrolet 2500 w/duramax. I do use a weight dist. hitch. Not sure who made it. I bought this camper used a few years back and the guy included it. What I said was I don't have to jack it above the ball anymore. You just jack it up high enough to remove the load from the TV. You know this when you see the drawbar lift in the receiver. Don't know how that would work if your ball was mounted on the bumper., but who is going to pull one of these babies with a bumper mount?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkytheKid
As for why I bought it online. You can only buy them from a dealer, not direct. I could have bought it from adealer in N.C. cheaper online but I have done business with JC Whitney before and if I didn't like it, I knew that I would not have a problem returning it to them.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
TV is a 2003 Chevrolet 2500 w/duramax. I do use a weight dist. hitch. Not sure who made it. I bought this camper used a few years back and the guy included it. What I said was I don't have to jack it above the ball anymore. You just jack it up high enough to remove the load from the TV. You know this when you see the drawbar lift in the receiver. Don't know how that would work if your ball was mounted on the bumper., but who is going to pull one of these babies with a bumper mount?
If you are using a weight distributing hitch and not lifting the TV/Trailer combination when loading the WD system you need to read up on how to set up a WD system. Unless you are very strong you can not pull the bars up without raising the system higher than you discribe.