Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Good heavens, what has this group become?

Too many suspicious cranks. Now it's JC Whitney taking a hit.

I've been buying from JCW for 45 years, and they have a lot of quality merchandise. Of course, they also have some cheap Chinese stuff like WalMart, but they also have some brand-name, quality products as well. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Why so many folks in such a bad humor here?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #42
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67
Good heavens,
Why so many folks in such a bad humor here?

Gas/Diesel prices

Morgan Fletc - thanks for the post on the hitch. Will definitly check it out - much better design than my old trailer hitch for the tractor. Stick with the forums... there's a wealth of info & answers here for the many problems /issues you may have with your Airstream in the future. Folks are more than willing to help, sometimes they start from a basic level not knowing how experienced you may be...

And from your experience, you could contribute alot to someone just starting out.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
QuickBite Coupler is for real

My number of posts and my retired status should qualify me as a disinterested party for this product and others. I speak for products I like and against ones I tried and don't like. (I won't speak against one I haven't tried.)

I've had the QuickBite Coupler on my 2005 CCD 25 since five months ago and have eleven thousand miles on it. BTW, I use Equalizer 1000# w/d bars for weight distribution and sway control. Installation was tough only because a coupler is so fully welded onto the frame and requires a bit of work to grind off. Welding on was sooo quick, less than fifteen minutes.

The QuickBite Coupler has done everything it advertised and has simplified my hitching in one nice respect. Lateral aim isn't too difficult to master, even without special aids like mirrors, cameras, or aiming poles. Getting the distance right on is so cool with the QuickBite. Back into it softly and the coupler latches fully (and audibly -- clack). Then raise the hitch head (and truck, of course), slide the Equalizer bars onto their brackets and latch them, and lower the jack. Done.

Yes, this coupler seems to envelop the hitch ball 360 degrees in the horizontal plane and on the entire vertical arc around the ball. Does this matter? It may not at all. The first one I saw was on a 30' Safari S/O in Florida this past Easter. He swore it tightened up the feel between his towvee and the trailer. I can't speak to this, just can't feel it myself.

We're glad we made this switch to the new coupler. These are for sale at boat and trailer shops. We bought ours locally and my brother-in-law installed it for me. He said I should have kept my money, the original equipment coupler was "good enough". Hey, we're into home improvements and this is our only home. When was good enough all you wanted for your house?

I have two pictures of this (not from mine, but from Pete Abbott's Safari 30 with dual-cam Reese w/d bars) on my website in the Home Improvements album. See if this link and this link work, and if they don't then email me if you want an emailed link to them.

And no, I have no connection of any kind with the manufacturer, the designers, or the sellers of this product or any other product anywhere. You could see other products I like (and dislike) here on our website. (I hope the links work.)

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Dreamstreamer...I'm a convert now also.

I learned about Quickbite from this thread, and posted some initial comments back in April, as it looked like a great improvement over the common, stamped steel coupler we've all come to live with when we bought our trailers!

A custom trailer dealer I talked with when buying my Quickbite, told me this coupler is well liked and accepted by their customers on new units, and they have been refitting many customer's older trailers as well...I'm talking 'working' type trailers here.

I also picked up a new 10K Equi-l-izer WD hitch...going to get the new setup dialed in next week when I get the AB welded in place...can't wait to try it out!

Love these 'new' toys....
Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I've considered it simply for the reactions it would get here
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
OK, here's some pic's of the completed QuickBite Coupler conversion...Backed right in the first time, and as mentioned above, with our new Eaui-L-izer WD rig, after coupling, raise up the hitch with the jack, move the WD bars onto the frame brackets, hook up the chains, breakaway and 7-way electrical cable, and...GOOOOOOOOO! This whole process takes less than 5 min's...I'm a real convert!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QB Stb [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	212
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	71260   Click image for larger version

Name:	QB port [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	259
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	71261  

Click image for larger version

Name:	QB ready [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	185
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	71262   Click image for larger version

Name:	QB open (2) [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	224
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	71263  

Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Mexray --

How much did you end up paying for installation? Mine was just over three hours labor, more than we had hoped. But glad to have it anyway.

Don't forget to use a good grease on the hitch ball for this coupling just like you would on any other coupler. And, just as with new bearings and races, the new coupler may mark the hitch ball as they mate up the first few tows. Doesn't appear to be continuing, just the initial wear-in.

Your new install ooks sharp, and I like the locking pin you bought. I have the locking pin on my gift list, hope someone (like my dw ) buys it for me. When we leave our Airstream unattended, and not in a campground, I want to lock the coupler closed over the hitchhead, and I lock the drawbar pin hole closed.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Is it worth it? It depends.

[ I've considered it simply for the reactions it would get here ]

Is burning off a perfectly good coupler to install a newfangled one worth it? Only if you specifically want the easier hitching/unhitching. I only need get my left-right bearing correct -- distance is automatically confirmed when I bump the back of the jaws and they close and the bail falls and latches. SWEET!

A close friend of ours tows solo since his wife died. He's another of these Hensley Hitch advocates who can, unaided, back into his hitch perfectly. He doesn't want any other coupler and like many Airforums people, doesn't need anything to make it easier. Interestingly enough, though, HAHA people also only have to get their left-right bearings aimed because distance is controlled by sinking into the socket all the way.

Like Mexray said, buying some toys is fun. And this one is fun and helpful too. The jaws and the 5/16" jaw pivot pins are stainless steel and easily replaced although we doubt this would become necessary. We removed and inspected ours at over 11,000 miles and found no noticeable wear.

We also think QuickBite looks cool but wouldn't have bought for that unless we gained functionalities too. And the claim of superior strength over a normal coupler doesn't swing anything for us. If we have the misfortune to flip the truck and trailer then all bets are off anyway. And we've heard several examples of the traditional couplers staying hitched too.

IMHO, this QuickBite project is worth doing if you want the ease of automatic latching. We like it.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Mine took about three hours also to complete...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...day-46178.html

I wanted to remove the old hitch entirely, clean things up and make sure the new QB coupler was 'glued' on real good!

I had to 'shim' each side of the QB coupler, in the rear along the frame sides, which was no big deal...also had to move the lower jack brace aft about an inch to match up with the jack hole in the QB.

I sent Mark at QB the thread with my pics for his comments...he mentioned that the QB angle type coupler is made to be welded right over the old coupler if desired - you just cut off the 'nose' of the old coupler, grind the sides flat, lay the new QB coupler on top, and weld...

While I didn't measure, if you installed the QB in this 'over old coupler' method, you'd probably wouldn't have to move the lower jack brace...

I wish I'd known about that installation 'feature' as it would have been a much quicker install...and if prepared properly, it would be just as strong...

I'm really happy with the design...and performance of this great new coupler!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #50

2005 22' International CCD
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Mine took about three hours also to complete...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...day-46178.html

I wanted to remove the old hitch entirely, clean things up and make sure the new QB coupler was 'glued' on real good!

I had to 'shim' each side of the QB coupler, in the rear along the frame sides, which was no big deal...also had to move the lower jack brace aft about an inch to match up with the jack hole in the QB.

I sent Mark at QB the thread with my pics for his comments...he mentioned that the QB angle type coupler is made to be welded right over the old coupler if desired - you just cut off the 'nose' of the old coupler, grind the sides flat, lay the new QB coupler on top, and weld...

While I didn't measure, if you installed the QB in this 'over old coupler' method, you'd probably wouldn't have to move the lower jack brace...

I wish I'd known about that installation 'feature' as it would have been a much quicker install...and if prepared properly, it would be just as strong...

I'm really happy with the design...and performance of this great new coupler!
I travel solo and have always dreaded having to hitch up. No More. F250 Diesel 4wd 4 door with a 2005 22' International CCD. I do not even use equalizer bars or sway bars: my AS is only a few inches longer than my truck. Tows beautifully. And the ease of hitching is hard to describe.
mikesprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Hey Mike, I was going to email youto see if this was like yours. Its on my wish list.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Update on QB Coupler

It has been over three years since last posts to this thread, although a lot of discussion about it has been on the newish Andersen WD hitch thread. I thought it advisable to update this one with some facts, not fancy.

We installed our QB coupler, with brother-in-law's expert welding assistance, in May 2008.

We have towed over sixty thousand miles so far with our quick bite coupler with Equal-i-zer hitch. We've been in almost every kind of conditions in that period, from Del Ray Florida to Fairbanks Alaska and most everywhere in between. The QB has given us no mechanical problems, no "gee I wish it was just a little different" in any way. This is the setup for us.

Any questions, feel free to PM or email me, dreamstreamr at gmail.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
QuickBite Measurements

Would any of you who have a QuickBite, please measure the width (inside dimension) of the rear of the coupler or the width of your A frame (outside dimension) where the rear of QB meets the frame and let me know. Thanks
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There is quite a difference in the measurement at the rear of these 2 couplings. You do not want to rely on those measurements while placing the QB coupler on the A frame. You want to position the QB over the Atwood to make sure the jack will clear the gas bottles after installation.

Look at posts 1396 and 1415 on this tread to see how to use the jack position the coupler for welding. Yes there will be a gap that has to be fill but if you do not take this approach you will have a conflict with the gas bottles.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...92131-100.html

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

And the reason for "instant" hook-up is?.......

Bob
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
I guess that if it is easier, then that's the selling point.... it works for me. I would like more info / feedback from users as well as best suppliers. An online search doesn't yield much.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
QuickBite Install

Howie, thanks for the info. How much higher does the coupler now sit and is there a repair kit for the jaws? I'm almost there in the decision process. I's now down to the Atwood 91911 or the QuickBite. Hugh price difference, but both will accommodate the Andersen.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
one thing nice about this all of these post . if you like it and it works get it just sayin
a lot of good help here and for one I enjoy all of them then I do it my way with some in site and it works .
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
Andersen with QuickBite

Just spoke with the makers of the QuickBite (Lippert) and there is no repair kit for the QuickBite. Waiting for confirmation from Andersen that the Atwood 81911 coupler is the one they use in their testing. No repair kit for the 81911 either. But the $$$$ difference is astounding . . . QB $179 plus shipping and tax and $220 for installation. Atwood - $28 plus shipping and tax and $100 for installation. Huge difference for easy hook up.

I'll keep you all posted.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
If it 'aint broke, fix it 'til it is....

Bob