Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
New Guy WD / Sway control help

We just bought a Bambi 19 late last fall. Right before I put it away for winter storage I happened upon a Reece Model 2600 dual cam sway control / wd hitch for $100. I tow with a 2012 Chevy Suburban rated for 8400 in tow power. I pulled the trailer back from the twin cities to the UP of Michigan (8 hours) and didn't even know I had the Bambi behind me. That was a combination of interstate and backroads.
Question 1) Do I need a WD hitch? Sway control? I've read a number of threads and the concensus seems to lean toward rather than away from. If yes, are there issues in the boondocks?

Question 2) In looking at the install today I am somewhat confused as to how to install. Reece sent me the install instructions but on the short A frame of the trailer I don't see where the Cam Sway bracket is going to fit with the dual propane setup I have.

Does anybody out there in AS land tow with this setup? Am I missing something? Hitch dealers in the area are rather limited and the one RV dealer we have I would rather not deal with if I can help it. Any and all input and advice greatly appreciated........
Amazingwoody
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The Reese Dual Cam is an excellent system that should install pretty easily on your Airstream. Check out some of the videos on utube for guidance. The chain hanger brackets will end up just aft of your propane bottle cover and the dual cam bracket will be on the underside of the frame, most likely under the propane cover. The system is easily adjustable and therefore very accommodating. I towed a 25 ft Safari about 150,000 miles with a Jeep GC and the Reese Dual Cam performed flawlessly. Even though you were pleased with the performance with out a weight distribution system, most experienced Airstreamers will recommend that a weight distribution system be used. I am one of them. It took me a morning to put mine on, but I doddle a lot. Jim
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I have your same setup, 19' Bambi, 2008 Suburban, Reese Wd hitch. My Rv guy set the hitch becase I pack my TV to max for work. I use two different settings depending if I am packed or not. I am out now on vacation and found towing a breeze, would never tow without the Wd and sway.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Thanks and one more ?

Jim and Sbb thank you both for your response. It makes more sense now. Sbb if you ever have a chance to post a picture of your set up I'd be grateful. After reading a number of threads in this section of the forums one more question comes to mind. If I remember correctly my trunion bars said they were rated at 12 k and the tongue weight rating of 1200 lbs. Is that too much for my rig? Is that a dumb question? Thanks all, you guys are the best.....
Woody
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I think you may be off on your numbers. Your bars are most likely the 1200 lb type which may be a bit heavy for your Airstream. I used 800 lb bars on my Safari which seemed about right. The lb rating of your bars should be a little closer to your tongue weight in order to transfer the correct weight forward. If the bars are too heavy, when sufficient lift is applied to transfer weight forward and provide the necessary friction on the cams to prevent sway, you may also cause the Airstream to have an excessively rough ride. Not good, but not serious enough to throw money at it until you experiment a bit. Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Just my 2 cents. 1200lbs bars on that combination is way over kill. The price may have been right but not the right setup for you. 600# or 800# would be much better for you and your trailer in the feel of ride dept. Your trailer has feelings also.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
More thanks

Jim and Rumship
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that I might be in an overkill mode. Assuming all the bars (6, 8 & 12) are the same length ( I may be wrong here as well) I'd like to get the hitch installed. If as you bnoth say it's too stiff a ride then maybe I can buy just new trunions in a lighter spec? Thanks to all of you I have gained a much better understanding of WD and SC than I had twenty four hours ago. Rumship, you are right as well: the price was right but if it isn't correct for my rig...........
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
My bars 800 tongue, but 10k load. My reciever 14k. I use two different chain links depending if my car is loaded or not. Pm me if u need photo I am not very good at adding, but will try now.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Even more thanks

Sbb, thanks for the offer of a photo but no need. I get it now. Rumship, you were right on the money. I contacted Reece (or whatever their new name is) and their tech guys came back to me with the part numbers I need. They, too, recommended 600# spring bars for tongue between 400 to 600 and 800# for between 600 to 800#.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
I have some 600# bars I am not using if you are interested. Switched to a 3P hitch.

Just pm me.
rumbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use the Reese dual cam for a 25 ft trailer and love it. Get the 600 lb bars. At one time (admittedly a long time ago) I lived in Michigan and the speed limit on the interstate was 75 mph if you had a WD hitch but it was 45 if you were towing without a WD hitch. That tells me something. And the hitch on your burb is probably rated to carry twice the tongue weight with the WD hitch as without. With the WD hitch you can always drop the chains and take the bars off for slow travel over very difficult terrain or for parking in difficult, hilly sites.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
spring bars

Rumbac
I tried to PM you. Just in case it didn't get through I am very interested in buying your 600# spring bars if you are interested in selling. Thanks, Woody

ewood29289@aol.com