Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
New Center Line Hitch vs. Equal-i-zer

I am about to get a new 23FB' Flying Cloud for our 2010 F250. I have two options for hitches at the dealer: Husky's New Center Line (Husky Towing Products | Products) and the more established Equal-i-zer brand. Both are supposed to be good but dealer recommends the Equal-i-zer. Still, this new Husky looks much beefier and has cool "compression cylinders" that seem like they'd apply more friction for enhanced sway control. Anyone have any first-hand experience with either??

Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think the new Husky looks interesting; Similar to Equal-i-zer, but slightly different. I think you should try it and give us a report. Mean-while my Equal-i-zer works just fine for me. With your F-250 and a 23' trailer, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them. I believe Reese has a version of the Equal-i-zer too.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I wish these hitch manufacturers put more detail into their descriptions. I get the feeling that once someone decides on a hitch, they rarely switch to another - so the manufacturers don't spend a lot of money trying to convince you theirs is better. They probably just rely on their dealer networks to sell them on site.

I'd be curious to hear more about the compression cylinders replacing the usual friction sway control.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Interesting looking design.
When someone developes a hydralic anti sway device, the next step will be electrically controled, speed sensitive valving. Turning a corner slow, no load, cruisin down the hwy.,,,,a "stiff", (for want of a better word), connection.
Just thinkin,,,,,
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, looks very interesting. From what I can see from the discription (The PDF file gives the most info) it works like the Equalizer, but ALSO has the compression cylinders holding the trailer in line behind the tow vehicle.

Sure would like a users report on it. Hint, Hint!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Whatever you get, set up is very important. We have an Equalizer and we have had no problems with it, but the dealer didn't bother to set it up properly. When I finally figured it out, I realized we had had little or no weight distribution and the trailer was starting to be off level.

It takes quite a while to set it up—each tow vehicle/trailer combination is different and dealers don't want to have a mechanic tied up for very long. Some dealers may do it right, but there are plenty of posts on the Forum about their hitches being set up badly.

Gene
Old 08-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The following thread was started today. I don't know whether it's the same Husky hitch described above, but of some interest:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...off-55292.html

Gene
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Thanks all. It's true, with the F250 and relatively light 23FB, I suspect either hitch will be fine if not almost overkill. They're comparably priced, too. I've heard the Husky Center Line is less noisy than the Eq. I lean toward the Husky because, side-by-side it is just a lot beefier looking. And those compression cylinders seem viable. Just learned today that I've got a month or so before the trailer arrives (apparently AS has laid off several in the factory due to the economy) so I'll keep trying to learn the differences and will report back if/when I end up with the Husky. (CG: I don't think the new thread referring to a Husky falling off is the Center Line; it has some chunky "fingers" to prevent just that.)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
Just for what ever it is worth, if you put a Hensly Arrow on your new trailer you will never have any sway to deal with, sway just does not happen with the Hensly Arrow. I was very lucky as I found a used one for lease than half price. I will never pull a trailer that doesn't have a Hensly Arrow. Saying all that, as the man says, that why they make many flavors of ice cream because we all have different likes and dislikes. Happy trails with what ever you purchase.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Biased but Interesting

In my continued pursuit of info comparing the Equal-i-zer WD hitch with the new Husky Center Line WD hitch, I have been in contact with a major distributor for the latter. Keeping in mind he is not impartial, what he had to say in his (longish) test report is still enlightening. For those who wanted more info, I am copying/attaching it here:
------------
Hi Bill:

I will try to be objective and non-bias in my thoughts.

I actually compared an Equalizer Vs our Round Bar WD Hitch w/Friction Sway Vs a Center Line on my own personal trailer (Weekend Warrior FK21) and personal tow vehicle 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4.

I drove the same route with each hitch, 15-miles of back road, highway, surface streets, etc.

After setting each hitch using the manufacturers instructions this is what I learned;

EQUALIZER
PROS
* Performed as expected
* Controlled sway predictably
* Kept trailer tongue up and level with vehicle
* Did not need to remove sway device to do a hard backing up of trailer
* Requires thin wall socket to attach trailer ball.
* Use of tongue jack simplifies attaching the bars

CONS
* Very noisy in turns because EQ puts everything in a bind to control the sway.
* Bars rub back and forth on bracket retaining pin adding to noise and premature wear.
* Uses rotational friction which needs to be adjusted frequently to maintain performance
* Rough ride because the bars are not spring type (torsional)
* Design is at least 20-years old
* Longer Initial set up time than Round Bar WDH
* Resists sway in both directions

HUSKY WDH w/FRICTION SWAY CONTROL
PROS
* Ride was softer, spring bars matched to the tongue weight would flex, easier on truck, trailer, and contents
* Controlled sway better than EQ because sway could be adjusted for conditions
* Kept trailer tongue up and level with vehicle, easier to adjust using chains and lift bracket
* Design is at least 30-years old
* Half the price of an EQ set up
* Plenty room for socket to attach trailer ball
* Use of tongue jack simplifies attaching the spring bars

CONS
* Need to remove sway control when doing a hard backing or risk damage
* Noisy during low speed turns due to sway control friction material
* Adjusting sway control is subjective and may require trial and error to perfect.
* Resists sway in both directions

HUSKY CENTER LINE
PROS
* Ride was softer, spring bars matched to the tongue weight would flex, easier on truck, trailer, and contents
* Controlled sway better than EQ and Friction Device because sway was actively controlled once trailer and vehicle were at 3 degrees of each other. Center Line resisted unwanted trailer sway, but automatically and easily brought the trailer and vehicle back in a straight line position using Belleville Washers inside compression cylinders VS Equalizers rotational friction and Round Bar Sway Control friction material.
* Kept trailer tongue up and level with vehicle
* Design is new with patents applied for
* Did not need to remove sway device to do a hard backing up of trailer
* Ride was very quiet due to compression spring technology, bars ride on a bracket finger not the spring retainer clip.
* Adjustment during initial setup only.
* Plenty room for socket to attach trailer ball
* Use of tongue jack simplifies attaching the spring bars

CONS
* Priced comparable to EQ
* Initial set up requires a little extra time.

Hope this helps!

Mike

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mike, thanks for the comparisons. Considering any bias that may have crept in (finding a human who is absolutely objective is difficult), it seems the Equalizer and the Center Line are pretty close if not equalized. It seems the biggest, maybe only, difference is the compression cylinders.

Do you have any thoughts on how long the cylinders will last? Will they wear and over time will performance lessen? If they fail, will performance be less than the Equalizer? What is the time period for the warranty on them? I have a bias toward simplicity, so I'm wondering if the cylinders are a small gain for little difference in performance.

How do the 2 units compare in price? In set up—initial and thereafter?

I don't understand the age of the design matters. I was designed in 1940 and though my start up time is slower, the parts groan a lot, and this machine can't run at full speed as long as it used to, it's working pretty well, certainly better than some models designed in the 1990's.

Gene
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Does age matter?

Hi, I think the fact that the Equal-i-zer was born about twenty years ago and still going strong must mean it has a good design and reputation in the trailer world.

Although I'm a slightly newer model than Gene, [not by much] I have to agree that many of the later models seem to be defective in materials and workmanship.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Sway Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post
I am about to get a new 23FB' Flying Cloud for our 2010 F250. I have two options for hitches at the dealer: Husky's New Center Line (Husky Towing Products | Products) and the more established Equal-i-zer brand. Both are supposed to be good but dealer recommends the Equal-i-zer. Still, this new Husky looks much beefier and has cool "compression cylinders" that seem like they'd apply more friction for enhanced sway control. Anyone have any first-hand experience with either??
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX
Bill,
Gene is correct in that with a F250 & a 23 foot trailer you are not even going to know that trailer is behind you. With that short of a trailer and given how light it is you wont even notice any sway. I pulled a 31 footer 600 miles with a F250 Harley edition, no sway bar attached and never felt hardly any sway even with semi's, storms, winds (PS I did have one with me). After that time I used just a plain sway bar mostly just for safety reasons. Now I do not pull without one but I wanted to test the truck & trailer.
When I bought my GMC 1/2 ton, it had to have a swaybar so I did find one that I prefer that uses a brake pad instead of chains and is much easier to hook up. Have transfered it from vehicle to vehicle and have used it on a 1/2 GMC to pull the 31 and now on my excursion. You don't get the binding or binding noise in turns because the bar slides on a brake style pad. The particular one I have is set for trailers 8000 to 12000 lbs, tong weight of 1200lbs.
I am going to buy a 34 footer, hopefully new and I am going to switch to the hensley hitch setup.

Sarge
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I was designed in 1940 and though my start up time is slower, the parts groan a lot, and this machine can't run at full speed as long as it used to, it's working pretty well, certainly better than some models designed in the 1990's.
Gene

Wow... you're pretty old, huh Gene?

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, husky center-line