Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
millertime's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Need some help w/clunking issue

Hi all, I've been browsing the forum for quit some time now and this my first post.
I'm pretty new to the TT world. I recently bought my first TT a 2006 25" FB SE LS (May '06) and we're lovin it.
I have a question and need some help. I'm having an issue lately that has never occurred since purchasing my AS. We've taken it out now on six trips. I'm not sure if it's the trailer, the hitch or my truck (2005 Toyota Tundra DC). When I accelerate from a stop there seems to be some play or slack that is taken up causing a clunking feel. When I slow to a stop, the same thing happens clunking forward. I can't see where anything can be loose. I've checked all of the bolts and fittings on the Equalizer hitch and everything is tight. I tried to adjust the brake controller (Tekonsha Voyager)but that definitely caused more pull and grabbing on my truck when I brake so I eased it off to where it was. I took my truck over to the Toyota dealer for service and explained the issue and had them check the drive shaft, rear axle and hitch assembly for any loose bolts or noticable issues and none were found, granted they weren't able to test it pulling a load since I didn't have the AS with me.
Any ideas what it could be or where else to look.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
__________________

__________________
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 822
Images: 14
Greg-- A couple things come to mind--One is that after use some of the paint on the shank and reciever wears off giving a little more clearence then when every thing was brand new. Also the "newness" wears off the pin and the hole throught the reciever. While not any one of these are enough to be concerned about and infact normal, the sum total of these add up to a little "looseness" in the hitch assembly. If thats the case it's something you'll have to learn to live with. That said I wouldn't "blow it off" as that untill I thoroughly checked everything else. I once had a similar noise and found the hitch ball slightly loose. Oddly enough I couldn't detect it by hand but the weight and force of the trailer caused movement there. I would also be sure the ball had the threaded shank the same size as the ball mount hole. If it's smaller than the hole and there is not a spacer installed to fill the space what you have may be the ball moving in the ball mount as you stop or accelerate.
I also had a good friend with the same complaint. Oddly enough it was a tundra too. He and I looked that over from top to bottom and never found a problem or an answer. He used it several years with no apparant problem.
pieman
__________________

__________________
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime
Hi all, I've been browsing the forum for quit some time now and this my first post.
I'm pretty new to the TT world. I recently bought my first TT a 2006 25" FB SE LS (May '06) and we're lovin it.
I have a question and need some help. I'm having an issue lately that has never occurred since purchasing my AS. We've taken it out now on six trips. I'm not sure if it's the trailer, the hitch or my truck (2005 Toyota Tundra DC). When I accelerate from a stop there seems to be some play or slack that is taken up causing a clunking feel. When I slow to a stop, the same thing happens clunking forward. I can't see where anything can be loose. I've checked all of the bolts and fittings on the Equalizer hitch and everything is tight. I tried to adjust the brake controller (Tekonsha Voyager)but that definitely caused more pull and grabbing on my truck when I brake so I eased it off to where it was. I took my truck over to the Toyota dealer for service and explained the issue and had them check the drive shaft, rear axle and hitch assembly for any loose bolts or noticable issues and none were found, granted they weren't able to test it pulling a load since I didn't have the AS with me.
Any ideas what it could be or where else to look.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
Greg,

Nice trailer and you live in a nice town too. (See my info on left.)

If I understand this happens on straight pullaways and stops? If so it has to be narrowed down from transmission to hitch. No offense but you have the right sized ball on your hitch? Assuming you do have you crawled under your truck and tried to twist your drive shaft? If so what happened?

If you want I can drop by Sunday and check the truck. Another person on this site will know more about your hitch than I will and they will answer that end of it.

You are also invited to the NorCal Winter Rally in 29 Palms in Jan.

Milo
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
millertime's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Greg-- A couple things come to mind--One is that after use some of the paint on the shank and reciever wears off giving a little more clearence then when every thing was brand new. Also the "newness" wears off the pin and the hole throught the reciever. While not any one of these are enough to be concerned about and infact normal, the sum total of these add up to a little "looseness" in the hitch assembly. If thats the case it's something you'll have to learn to live with. That said I wouldn't "blow it off" as that untill I thoroughly checked everything else. I once had a similar noise and found the hitch ball slightly loose. Oddly enough I couldn't detect it by hand but the weight and force of the trailer caused movement there. I would also be sure the ball had the threaded shank the same size as the ball mount hole. If it's smaller than the hole and there is not a spacer installed to fill the space what you have may be the ball moving in the ball mount as you stop or accelerate.
I also had a good friend with the same complaint. Oddly enough it was a tundra too. He and I looked that over from top to bottom and never found a problem or an answer. He used it several years with no apparant problem.
pieman
Mike,
Thanks for the quick reply! I will have a look at the hitch ball to make sure that it is tight. Now that you've mentioned your friend with the same issue and he also has a Tundra gets me more worried that it may be the Tundra!
__________________
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
millertime's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Greg,

Nice trailer and you live in a nice town too. (See my info on left.)

If I understand this happens on straight pullaways and stops? If so it has to be narrowed down from transmission to hitch. No offense but you have the right sized ball on your hitch? Assuming you do have you crawled under your truck and tried to twist your drive shaft? If so what happened?

If you want I can drop by Sunday and check the truck. Another person on this site will know more about your hitch than I will and they will answer that end of it.

You are also invited to the NorCal Winter Rally in 29 Palms in Jan.

Milo
Hey neighbor!
It does happen on straight pullaways and stops and I personnally think it may be between the transmission and hitch. I'll crawl under the truck and give a twist on the drive shaft and see what happens.
As far as I know I should have the right size ball, the dealer where I purchased the AS from did the installation.
I'd like to take you up on your offer to stop by. That would be very helpful.

Thanks for the invite to the NorCal Winter Rally. What are the dates?
__________________
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,756
Greg,

No problem, you can't be that far. lol. Looks like the Bungelows.

PM me with your Ph# and we'll talk and work out a time on Sun. I'll be working Sat morn and leaving town on Monday morn.

Where do you store your rig?

Look up to that blue tool bar and hit New posts. Then look for NorCal Winter Rally in 29 palms. Or I tell you all about it when we talk.

Milo
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
millertime's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Yep I'm in the bungalows!
Thanks PM sent.
__________________
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Hi millertime -- I hope your experience at the Forums is working out well. You do have a 5/8" hitch pin, don't you? A too small hitch pin would allow the hitch bar to slide back and forth a little bit in the receiver on your truck. By mistake I used a smaller one for a short time but can't say I ever heard or felt it.
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
millertime's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Yes I do have a 5/8" hitch pin. This problem just started occuring recently and I haven't changed or adding anything different to my AS or truck.
__________________
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
millertime's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Well thanks a million to Goin camping for coming over on Sunday and helping me troubleshoot and to everyone else's suggestions!
At first we thought that it indeed may be related to my transmission but after I stressed out on that thought I went and got my AS and towed it over to Goin camping's place. We drove around and both confirmed that there was definitely a clunk but realized that what it was is simply the ball has some play while inside the hitch and as I pull forward it would clunk and same when slowing. I'm still a bit baffled as to why there is that amount of play there now when there never was before....
Is this normal?

Thanks again to to everyone for the help.

Greg
__________________
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,352
There should not be play in the coupler ,I would think the piece that pulls up
under the ball as the coupler is locked down may be worn or loose somehow
and should not be as we know. It won't get better ,Id install the shank and ball into the coupler /removed from the TV and move it around with your
hands while looking at the coupler from the under side seeing if you can
determine whats loose there ,somthings wrong ,it should be nice and secure
with out much movement ,there would be a slight amount of clearance but
not enough to cause a sloppy fit.The coupler latch mechanism could be broke
or damaged or worn ,Id continue with the diagnosis on the loosness.

Scott
__________________
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
millertime's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Thanks for the heads up on this as I would tend to agree but to install the shank and ball w/out the TV is a lot easier said than done. That Equalizer hitch weighs a ton!
Is that coupler latch replacable or is it a part of the hitch assembly on the trailer?
__________________
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
If the hitch isn't engaging the ball, weight distribution bars may dislodge. If that doesn't, moving down the road certainly might. Okay -- it's a 10,000# rated thick shaft 2 5/16" ball, right?
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #14
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,124
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Inland Andy lists a repair kit on his website


It costs about $30. Looks like you remove the roll pin in the handle and it falls apart. Clean it up and put in the new part.
__________________

__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstream Life Winter 2006 Issue 66Overlander Airstream "In the News" 14 02-15-2006 07:38 PM
Reese Hitch issue Tin Hut Hitches, Couplers & Balls 1 01-10-2006 05:07 PM
Airstream "sighting" TIME, April 7 issue Kistler Our Community 2 04-02-2003 08:23 AM
Filter issue... Joel Graham Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 2 03-08-2003 10:52 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.