Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Question Need opinions with tow setup 20ft Safari - Airsafe w/ Ext Cab Silverado 1/2 ton PICS

Hello everyone!

New to the AS scene. Finally purchased a 20ft 1967 single axle safari and plan on a full resto but that will be another thread. I need help with a sway control or weight dist. setup. Seems like there are 15,000 different options...

Here is what I have:
  • 2005 Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab V8
  • I installed an AirLift rear airbag setup over the leaf springs on the truck for load leveling -
  • AirSafe Class 3/4 Receiver w provision for small ball friction sway setup

The trailer has welded brackets on the A frame for some sort of sway or WD setup that I don't have. They look very old maybe even original. Would I be ok with just a friction sway setup or would a WD setup be advisable or both. Heck I don't know and I refuse to spend money twice. So I would like to do it right from the start. I will be towing it soon about 1200 miles so let me know what you guys think. Here are some pictures. I know everyone here probably knows what I am talking about but people love photos on a forum

TexasToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I tow an Airstream almost exactly like yours behind a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Reese Dual Cam sway control. It's the sweetest rig I've ever pulled. Have to be careful not to forget it's there. I inherited the sway control from the PO, but was completely sold on it by the time I got the trailer home (300 miles in a nasty crosswind).
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If weight distribution is a consideration I think the AirSafe is going to be a real problem. I think there will be a problem transferring load through that hitch head, there is no way to attach bars.

If your tongue weight is not that heavy you might use the AirSafe and a friction plate type anti sway device. But I don't think you are going to be happy with it towing a single axle trailer. Any bounce while towing may result it the AirSafe hitting the top or bottom limits of the hitch and thus a real bang.

Measure the height of the front fender of the TV before and after hitching. If the fender does not go up by more than 1/2 in. and effect the steering geometry you could try it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Welcome to the forum. I am nearby in the Clear Lake, TX area. I tow a 1955 22 ft Flying Cloud with a Ford F150 on the ball alone. Tongue weight is only about 300 lbs (more would be nice) and aside from heavy crosswinds I have had no trouble with this setup.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Welcome to the forum. I am nearby in the Clear Lake, TX area. I tow a 1955 22 ft Flying Cloud with a Ford F150 on the ball alone. Tongue weight is only about 300 lbs (more would be nice) and aside from heavy crosswinds I have had no trouble with this setup.
So I should try this trip with the Airsafe alone and see how it goes? I would hate to have the trip be a nightmare.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I tow an Airstream almost exactly like yours behind a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Reese Dual Cam sway control. It's the sweetest rig I've ever pulled. Have to be careful not to forget it's there. I inherited the sway control from the PO, but was completely sold on it by the time I got the trailer home (300 miles in a nasty crosswind).
Do you have the Airsafe receiver ball also?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToaster View Post
So I should try this trip with the Airsafe alone and see how it goes? I would hate to have the trip be a nightmare.
You are dealing with 2 completely different issues here.
WD, and it is cot clear that you will need that with this light a trailer.
Sway Control, and you will need to address that with a single axle trailer.

You should install a plate type anti sway device between the AirSafe, that small arm next to the ball, and the trailer tongue. Then try your test run.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have a pickup like yours and pull a 30' Classic with it "one the ball" with no problem. I am sure all you need is a ball. Get a "reciver" that leaves the from end of your trailer just a little lower than the back. This will keep you from "draging" the back of your trailer when you go threw a ditch. Good Luck
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
Towing with an air hitch

We had an air hitch, tow a 25' Safari, with a 2015 Silverado 1500, the ball for the air hitch was 19" from the back bumper, way to far. Tows much better with a Reese hitch.
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I think the above is right about the Reese hitch. Get the ball closer to the TV which will give the trailer less "leverage" on your TV. Also make it back up easier. The only problem with this is if you are backing up and allow the trailer to "get away" (turn too sharp) you trailer will come in contact with your TV sooner.

Please send us pictures once you have your trailer fixed to your satisfaction. You should have a lot of fun fixing it up. I have seen some and they are so "cool".
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Do you have the Airsafe receiver ball also?

No. Mine is a Reese with the trunnion fittings to receive the weight distribution bars.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfschultz View Post
We had an air hitch, tow a 25' Safari, with a 2015 Silverado 1500, the ball for the air hitch was 19" from the back bumper, way to far. Tows much better with a Reese hitch.
The AirSafe that I have is only 6" longer than a standard receiver with ball. See the photo below. Which model air hitch were you using?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
Please send us pictures once you have your trailer fixed to your satisfaction. You should have a lot of fun fixing it up. I have seen some and they are so "cool".
I am super excited to get some time to start tearing it apart. I will be starting a new thread with the rebuild process. I just went and picked up my axle yesterday. So far the only thing that I have done is remove all of the junk that was no good or I will no longer be using, blasted and powder coated the wheels, and replaced tires. I am basically getting it road ready as we have sold our house and will be traveling much much more.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
I have a pickup like yours and pull a 30' Classic with it "one the ball" with no problem. I am sure all you need is a ball. Get a "reciver" that leaves the from end of your trailer just a little lower than the back. This will keep you from "draging" the back of your trailer when you go threw a ditch. Good Luck

Yea, I have the other standard ball mount as pictured above. My truck scraped with the 2" drop ball on the standard receiver. My truck is actually dropped 2 inches in the front and 4 inches in the rear. It's done the right way with spindles and rear leafs. The rear of the truck sat a bit too low for my taste (ghetto Cali lean look) with the drop leafs and camper top so I installed an adjustable set of AIRLIFT rear air bags. The truck rides and tows great and the bags are great for load leveling etc. I would still need to flip the receiver over to basically give me a 2" lift for the ball to prevent scraping. I will be flipping the bracket on the AirSafe ball mount to achieve the same thing. That in addition to being able to adjust the air pressure in the rear air bags in the truck and the AirSafe I should be able to play with it and get the height where it belongs.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You are dealing with 2 completely different issues here.
WD, and it is cot clear that you will need that with this light a trailer.
Sway Control, and you will need to address that with a single axle trailer.

You should install a plate type anti sway device between the AirSafe, that small arm next to the ball, and the trailer tongue. Then try your test run.

Any recommendations? Looks like this Camco has pretty good reviews. Any input would be great.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Pearland , Texas
Also, is there any reason that I should keep these old WD brackets?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

This is an old thread but I hate to see questions go unanswered.

In post 15, that's the friction-type sway control you need for the small ball on the AirSafe hitch. They're basically all alike, so I'm sure that brand would be OK.

And regarding post 16, if you're not going to use weight transfer bars, you can remove the brackets but I'd keep them for possible use in the future. Of course, I keep everything and eventually find most things in my stash come in handy. In any case, the brackets are easy to remove and replace.

Let us know how your towing goes.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Leave the brackets they may work with another hitch if you decide to go thst way.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote