Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Elk River , Minnesota
Need help with new trailer set-up

I just bought a 25' Excella. It did not come with any stabilizer bars or weight distributing devices. The previous owner said he never used any during the 7 years he had this trailer. I want to play it safe and get what I need to make my trailering experiances a pleasure. So my question is what do I need for this trailer to make towing safe for me and my family??

slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
What tow vehicle are you using? Dave

easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Elk River , Minnesota
1999 1/2 ton suburban 4X4
slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are several popular hitch systems available: Equal-i-zer and Reese are the ones most use with a combination such as yours. Reese makes one that looks a lot like the Equalizer (I can only type those dashes once in a while) and one with chains. I have the Equalizer. The Hensley and ProPride and two other brands. The ProPride costs less than the Hensley and appears to be an improvement on it. Contact Sean Woodruff, a Forum member, for more info on the ProPride. Both of those cost a lot more than the Equalizer and Reese and may not be necessary for a 25' Excella.

Understanding the dynamics of these systems can be a challenge and there are threads about how to adjust them. People get very emotional about their hitches too.

But it's important to understand how it works and how to adjust it for proper weight distribution, sway control and getting the trailer level. The instructions for the Equalizer do not tell you enough and if you get that brand, check out this thread, especially posts 13 and 14, for more information how it works:

You can also call the company and talk with them in depth to make sure you're doing it right.

Many dealers either do not how to install what they sell or don't take the time to do it right, so doing it yourself is a good idea. Until you figure it out, you won't know if it's done right, and until you do the whole thing yourself, you won't understand how it works. Setting it up takes a long time and much experimentation. It's tedious and daunting, but necessary. Good luck.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by slk View Post
1999 1/2 ton suburban 4X4
I would suggest a Reese 600 straight line, which has the torsion sway control.

The 4 X 4 is the killer, because of it's stiff suspension.

If you had a standard 1/2 ton, then a Reese 750 or 800 pound straightline would work just fine.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote