Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Need a Weight Dist. Shank with more drop!!!

I have the Reese 54990, which has a length of 16" and a drop of 6". I would like to keep in the same range with the length (12-16") But i need 4-7 more inches for the drop (a total of 10-13 inches of drop). Anyone know which hitch company makes a hitch i can use? Which companies are better than others? Any help is greatly appreciated.--Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
hitch stuff

I just ordered from www.hitchmart.com They have free shipping for orders over $100. I try to stick with Reese, Drawtite might be another option.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
oh yeah, forgot to mention... I already have the most drop that Reese offers. Does someone make custom shanks, if i need one?

WBCCI # 13657
Old 07-13-2004, 03:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Chad,

I had a "spotting" hitch built, and installed on the front of my Suburban by a local welding shop. If I was in your position, I would stop by a local welding shop who advertises custom hitches in their yellow page ad, and see if they could help you out.

I assume you have a lift kit on your tow vehicle since the easily available drawbars are too tall. Another option is to install a "drop kit" on your receiver. Again, a welding shop could advise you of the right way to go about it.

Good luck,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
well... yes, i am adding a 4.5" lift to my cherokee, i already have a 2" that it will be replacing... but the lift has been measured at 5.5-6 inches by people that have already installed it. This is the only vehicle we have that is equipped to pull the trailer, and it's my DD and favorite vehicle. Anyways, I'm sure to hear things about lifting my jeep 5" on an already short wheelbase, and light vehicle... but it handles like it's not even there now, so i'm going to give it a shot- worst comes to worst, i'll get a HD pickup that needs some love and get er' up to snuff for towing.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 07-14-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
give me a call if you wind up needing a new drive shaft. My Brother-in-law makes them. tell him I sent you, and he'll treat you right.

on second thought...maybe you better not mention me. doh!

no, seriously: he's not terribly close, but there aren't many places around with the equipment to do that sort of work.

btw: are your folks going to the rendezvous this weekend?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:12 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
thanks chuck! The company that makes the lift, also sells driveshafts that are designed to fit the lift kit. Err... this is getting expensive, it's looking like about $1,700 at this point... I have been searching, and it looks like i'm going to have to have a shank made for me!!! The problem is that if the lift sat at 4.5" like it is advertised, i could use one i found that had a 8.75" drop... But i could step down to the 3.5", but that's not what i want. I guess if need be, i could just set the back of the jeep to be sitting an inch or so below ride height, i don't think it'd be enough to throw off my control much.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 07-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAudiophile
thanks chuck! The company that makes the lift, also sells driveshafts that are designed to fit the lift kit. Err... this is getting expensive, it's looking like about $1,700 at this point... I have been searching, and it looks like i'm going to have to have a shank made for me!!! The problem is that if the lift sat at 4.5" like it is advertised, i could use one i found that had a 8.75" drop... But i could step down to the 3.5", but that's not what i want. I guess if need be, i could just set the back of the jeep to be sitting an inch or so below ride height, i don't think it'd be enough to throw off my control much.
Lift springs settle the first few months. I know the springs I am about to order for my 4Runner will settle about 2 inches in the first 6 months. and end up right at 4 inches of lift depending on what is on the truck (bumpers, winch etc)
What exactly is this on and what brand and maybe I can find somebody with the same springs and can find out their ride higt after they have settled. If you want to ask around yourself check Jeeps unlimited, Pirate4x4.com (have a thick skin and search before asking here. Hazing newbies is common practice on Pirate), www.off-road.com
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
I am a member of NAXJA.com, have asked the questions- but nobody has real definitive answers whe it comes to towing a large load. And also when i asked about a drop shank, almost every reply was asking what a drop shank was. I have been on pirate4x4, but didn't think to ask the question there. I think i will log on, and give their site a shot. Thanks.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 07-19-2004, 11:54 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
if you are gonna fire up the welder, why not build a custom reciever instead of going with a longer drop? you could make it lower and still use a standard drop drawbar.

john
Old 07-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
two words:

Ground clearance

or

Departure angle

You want as little hanging off the front or rear as possible, so a drop down hitch would be a 4X4 no-no. Besides the resulting fabrication would add a bunch of weight on the rear.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I was going to build a big drop for my 75 Jimmy. The receiver is about 32 inches off the ground with the 35 inch tires. With a 8 inch drop and the three inch lift I put on the trailer I pull with it I am almost level.

I just don't feel good about a drop anymore then that. Its extra leverage on the receiver assembly. None of that is take into concideration whaen thye make a rating.

What I toung about doing at one point before I just lifted the trailer was to make a 3 point triangulate draw bar that would have a couple coneections up by the frame. It would be big and ugly but it would solve the leverage problem twisting the receiver under.

Really for the Cherokeey or Grand Cherokee with the Unit body I would be REAL leary of excessive drop draw bars.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote