Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
How about picking up some of the old beat up Airstreams out there - bring them back to life - make some money while some of us other "fans" get to appreciate them vice just rotting in some back field somewhere...

Perhaps fix one up, use it for a bit, sell and go to the next one. You already have the Jayco so maybe a few smaller ones at first?

Anything to keep the Airstreams out there alive and kicking...
I tried something like this last year with a 70's popup. I was frustrated since it would have been easier to just build a new one from ground up. All the Airstreams I have found would not have been candidates for a rebuild. Maybe someday.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Nice work on the hitch, I did the same tear down/rebuild a few years ago. Now since you like to diy stuff like myself make an adjustable stinger.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I will second that notion that Jared is a top notch employee. I ordered a couple of parts from him as I am refurbing my ebay purchase. He also explained the disassembly of the hitch so I could repaint it.
Great pics by the way!
Just an update... Jarrod is no longer with Hensley Mfg. They cut him loose over a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb9550 View Post
Here is what the end result ended up looking like. I got a few questions about it so I will post some pics.

Didnt end up finding that Airstream. Had to settle on the Jayco. Maybe someday. Just too much money for us right now for what we wanted. Plus the bunks work out good for the family. Hope to still stick around and talk hitches with you guys.

That is FANTASTIC, Mike. Please don't go into the hitch business. Your hitch looks better than the current Arrows being sold and it's over 10 years old.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Just an update... Jarrod is no longer with Hensley Mfg. They cut him loose over a year ago.

That is FANTASTIC, Mike. Please don't go into the hitch business. Your hitch looks better than the current Arrows being sold and it's over 10 years old.

-
Thanks Sean, No worries about competition here. I did have some ideas for the camping industry (Trailer). Mostly due to necessity. My big issue is not being able to bring a boat and a camper. Thought about working on a way of taking both. Nothing huge on the trailer side since when I say boat, I mean a 17 - 20 footer. My wife wont camp unless there is a bathroom, a bed, and air conditioning. The other stuff is optional. Think arge truck camper attached to a boat trailer but each could be used without the other.

Thats too bad about Jarrod, he was top notch. He went way out of his way to answer my questions. Even put the guy at the factory call me to help me out. He was also really nice.

They will probably stay just ideas. My wife says I think too much. Its just how my mind works. Cant shut it off.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Nice

Quote:
Nice work on the hitch, I did the same tear down/rebuild a few years ago. Now since you like to diy stuff like myself make an adjustable stinger.
I thought of that, did you cut the parts yourself? It looks like a P3 shank. I have a Hensley 4", 2", and was going to buy a straight stinger. I thought about doing this instead of getting the straight stinger. It looks heavy. Do you have anymore pics of the build process? I would love to see them.

Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Jared was also a real help to me as I tried to sort the H/A.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I started out with a straight stinger and I cheated buy purchasing the pieces from a nice guy named Sean in the hitch business. I tack welded everything just the way I wanted it and a friend of mine who wields a stick welder for a living sewed it up properly.
Except for being almost 2" longer than the original straight stinger, it has worked flawlessly. I have towed with 3 different vehicles.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Quote:
I started out with a straight stinger and I cheated buy purchasing the pieces from a nice guy named Sean in the hitch business. I tack welded everything just the way I wanted it and a friend of mine who wields a stick welder for a living sewed it up properly.
Except for being almost 2" longer than the original straight stinger, it has worked flawlessly. I have towed with 3 different vehicles.
Thats neat. I thought about doing the same myself. I was going to ask what the specs were. I have a Reese shank and a 4" drop stinger that I might be able to use. How much of a v groove did you leave on the 2" solid material? I also would fab it up and have someone (a real welder) finish the final welds. If you have any pics you share, that would be great.