Finally!! I can check this one off the list!! I know you all love pics, and after all this work I'm wanting to "brag" a bit!
My project started as a refurb project for the Hensley. It's an older model S/N 4662, and I'm the 3rd owner. It was really starting to show it's age and I've been reading the horror stories in the Forums about failures, so I decided it was time. In hindsight, I'm really glad I decided to do this. What I found upon the disassembly of the hitch was terrible corrosion of the bottom bearings, likely due to failed seals. Also, the weight bar bushing was worn quite badly and a previous owner had modified the workings of the way the bars inserted into the hitch head. (there were some round spacers installed inside the holes the bars went into. Basically, it kept the bars from inserting all the way. Then they drilled new holes for the zerks. )
The reasoning behind what they had done was beyond me, but I was replacing ALL wearing parts and starting over. All new bearings, races, seals, bar bushings, pins, clips, etc.... The main parts (upper and lower body, weight bars, struts, frame mounts etc..) all went off to the sand blaster then got new powder coating and decals.
When I was done with all this I could'nt put this beauty on the ugly old A-frame!! I blasted the frame back to raw metal and applied etching primer and a new coat of paint. Replaced the emergency brake module and relocated the gas regulator to a spot under the bottles where it wont interfere with the bottle cover and replaced the gas supply lines with some fresh and flexible lines.
So.... bring on the before & after pics!!
A LOT of Pieces in this thing!
Now for the good stuff!
All in all, it was a worthwhile project. The front of the Airstream and the Hensley got some well deserved attention. I got the peace of mind I needed so that I can now roll down the road in my home without worrying about something drastic happening.