Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
More on The Slimp Dolly

Howdy Gang!

Was conversing with a few of you on another thread and the old topic of the Slimp Dolly came up. Rather than continue to hijack that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

One poster sent me a link to a company that makes a modern version of the old Slimp Dolly. That one, however, requires you to have a weight distribution hitch to operate it. The old ones did not.

Well, in my travels, I have come across this really cool Youtube video in which the gentleman in the video has a 1950 Spartan Royal Mansion (Beautiful old trailer that I would love to have!!) and, he has the dolly that came with it in 1950. They say a picture is worth a thousand words...well this video must be worth 100,000 then because it shows pretty much everything one could ever want to know about one of these age-old devices. Here it is:

Anyway, happy dollying!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Sooper!!!

Jim,

That was a kool vid!! Thanks for posting.

At 1:40 I said to myself how the hell would that thing work it's on bass akwards.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Thanks for posting the link. Most of the dollies I’ve seen in old catalogs connect to the ball and are more of an “A” frame type construction.
Found this ad from a 1951 Woodall’s Trailer Park Directory.
$115 in 1950’s dollars may seem steep but was less expensive than the broader stanched “A” frame units with all their springs and stabilizers.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dolly.pdf (480.6 KB, 211 views)

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Jim, that was a nice video, and now I've got to go to youtube to see his trailer too. Keep us posted on the development of your modern version.

Tom, thanks for the add from the old Woodall catalog to.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
$115 in 1950 is about the same as $1100 int 2012.

See : CPI Inflation Calculator

Great inflation calculator for money then vs. money now.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Cool ad Tom! Thanks for putting that on here. In fact, that is the same brand that's in the video, so double coolness!!

This may be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist anymore, but I still think it's worth looiking into. I'll report back with what I come up with.

Oh, and yes I agree...his Spartan looks really nice! I've never seen a Spartan trailer for real. I've looked at their airplanes, though, and they were definitely top notch. So I figure their trailers were probably built pretty well too. I used to prefer the Sparanettes, but these Mansions are starting to grow on me...might be a dangerous thing for my wallet!!

See ya on the road!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
This may be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist anymore, but I still think it's worth looiking into. I'll report back with what I come up with.

There is a saying that “Everything old is new again.”
Cars and crossover SUVs get more refined with ever increasing horsepower and stability. Truck prices continue to climb through the roof. Andy at Can-Am can set up a Volkswagen TDI to pull a Bambi, a Volvo to tow a 25 footer and a Dodge Town and Country to drag a triple axle 34 footer to Alumapalooza.
Who knows? Might just be a solution for the next decade.

Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Neat to watch ... outstanding engineering for the day.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Tino

2013 27' FB International
Blainville , Quebec
For two year i try to fond someting like this. i saw the hitch helper how was made 3 years ago, but the compagnie close. I love to have one of this...
Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Tino

Blainville , Quebec
Jim you built some and i by for sure....
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Tino

Blainville , Quebec
Some pictures: slimp wheel pictures by 1948rob - Photobucket
Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Great Link!

Tino,

Thank you for posting that link. Those pictures are great!

The Winchester Dolly is close to what I had in mind. I was thinking of using a pair of 17" wheels with E rated tires, the same size as on my truck. So, they are too tall to sit under the A-frame like the Slimp or Conley & True dolleys. I'm still thinking on this....the tracking would be the issue. With the small tires on a castor, they self align and work just like a shopping cart. But with two big ones that are outside of the A-frame, it's a tougher situation...I think.

At any rate, if I can make this work, I will definitely let you know.

Thanks and take care,
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
This is me in 1952 somewhere along RTE 66. You can just make out our 'dolly' between our '48 Nash and 26' Pan American. We were moving from Michigan to California. Dad decided to stop in Texas to buy this dolly. The whole thing was a pair of leaf springs supported by the car hitch and an axle with 2 wheels about 3' apart. Obviously you couldn't back up. The swivel wheel was available but too pricey for my parents. The dolly we got did the job good enough.
Neil
Attached Images

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
New Slimp Wheel Get-ups

Hi Jim & All,

This is actually Tom - the "other half" who is stuck doing the research on how we'll tow a vintage 16'-22' Airstream/Avion/etc. 1950's-70's TT which Jana wants to get to 1-2 vintage trailer events a year (400-600 mi each way max. I'd guess) ....and I'm not keen on adding a Ford F150 nor SUVs to our fleet to sit around the other 360 days a year.

This is what she's looking at now, & their ad shows it towed by a 60's mid-size wagon (62-ish Olds 88 me thinx).....

So in my searching for what I remembered attaching to the TT tongues to aid in lowering tongue wt. for autos towing cars, I came across 2 modern day equivalents - but these plug into your hitch receiver intead of attaching to the tongue. One is still in business - fortunately this one looks more highway worthy, and one business is for sale (stinger) & no longer producing.

"Hitch Helper" 1 & 2 wheel versions:
The Hitch Helper - Hitch Helper Weight Distribution Hitch with Built-in Sway Control by ACC Towing - Home

"The Stinger"/"Hell-Ya" 1 & 2 wheel versions:
"Stinger Hitch Helper, Hell-Ya Hitch Helper to stablize your heavy loads and trailers. Hitch Helper, Truck and SUV load solution for heavy payloads or towing. Fast and easy solution for horse trailers, RV trailers, slide in campers, car trailers, sli

So being a Porsche lover & knowing that the 928 V8 Luxe GT's are relatively dirt cheap, and since the factory actually provided a towing bar/hitch & electrical hook-up option, on top of it's standard 4 wheel indep. susp. V8, 4 spd Automatic, F & R Sway Bars & Transaxle Cooler for high performance cruising (similar to most trucks'/SUVs'/Crossovers'/cars' towing packages). The 928's tow capacities listed by the mfgr. were: 3527 Lbs. on max 16% grades (w/ trailer brakes), 7650 max. towing wt. total - on a 3400 lb. car (empty), but the tongue wt. was only rated to 110 lbs. - ergo the need to reduce it safely with something like the above slimp wheel or hitch helper types of units to safely tow.

So this is what I'd like to do with her T20 or similar, & with other vintage concours or auto cross/track P-cars....

With what I read at the link below about towing a 19' Airstream with a 4 cyl. Jetta - I doubt that a 300 HP/317 ft/lb TQ 5.0L 32V V8 Porsche 928 would have ANY problem towing the wife's T20 Avion or similar!

RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints

... although this looks to be a 16' Bambi

Of course - you would NOT want to take this theory too far!

Anyone know how well these hitch helper dollies will work for towing a small TT, VT/CT with an auto rated at a low tongue wt.??

BTW Jim, my family on Mom's Mom's side hails from B.S. WVa - local kin are Youngblood, Whisner & a few more family names around there & Paw-Paw.

Thanx for any advice & hope the hitch helper info is helpful to some out there in airforum land.