Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
More Modern Day Slimpies I've found

Okay - here's the Tuff-Tow - which is like the old school Slimp Dolly in Jim's video:
https://www.shogunindustries.com/cgi...fftowintro.htm

Which is remarkably similar to the original Slimp Dollies etc. - like these which Tino posted above with his link:

And this Trailer Toad is similar to the Hitch Helper which I posted in my prior post:
TrailerToad.com
:::MaxChevy::: Tongue weight and tow vehicle structure 101 - 07/22/10

If anyone has any experience in using any of these & the ones in my prior post - &/or similar hitch tongue wt. reduction units - on a unibody (not frame) small SUV, crossover, mini-van, car, etc. - I'd like to know if it might work for my purpose stated in the prior post

3400 lb car with 300 HP & TQ V8, 3500+ lb. towing wt. & 7650 lb.total GVWR capacity, but a 110 lb. tongue limitation ....
.... for towing a +/- 2500 lb (empty/dry) 20' 1960ish TT (Avion T20/Airstream 18-20'/etc.) with electric brakes & a +/- 250-300 lb. tongue wt.??

Will any or all of these work?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
These are really cool Jana! Thanks for posting all of this.

I really like the looks of the 2-wheel Hitch Helper. It looks like you could back up with it; it would just scrub a lot. But out on the highway it should do fine. I can't tell from the pictures but they might have it set up to actually caster a little bit. It looks like a good design.

I am sure a 928 would tow just fine with something like one of these. You'd have plenty of power. Like you said, if a VW Jetta can be set up to tow a trailer, a Porsche V8 should do it just fine. I have a buddy in Seattle that used to have a 928. He really liked it; called it his "German Corette". Parts were pretty high for it was the only negative. He wound up trading it on an M3.

I know both Youngbloods and Whisners. I'll have to PM you on some of them. Small world!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
These are really cool Jana! Thanks for posting all of this.

I really like the looks of the 2-wheel Hitch Helper. It looks like you could back up with it; it would just scrub a lot. But out on the highway it should do fine. I can't tell from the pictures but they might have it set up to actually caster a little bit. It looks like a good design.

I am sure a 928 would tow just fine with something like one of these. You'd have plenty of power. Like you said, if a VW Jetta can be set up to tow a trailer, a Porsche V8 should do it just fine. I have a buddy in Seattle that used to have a 928. He really liked it; called it his "German Corette". Parts were pretty high for it was the only negative. He wound up trading it on an M3.

I know both Youngbloods and Whisners. I'll have to PM you on some of them. Small world!
Actually it was Hubby Tom posting under Jana's nom de plume!
... and my matrilineal side of the family there in BS.

I know that the TrailerToad & another one casters with a locking hub device, but not sure about the Hitch Helper & haven't heard back from them to answer questions yet.

Those all use a 2" square tube insert into the hitch receiver, so even if they don't pivot/caster, they are still fixed to the TV & can be backed up.

The thing I like about those - over the WD hitch route - is htat there is a definitie 1-2 wheels to the ground to carry the tongue wt. - rather than relying on torsion bars to push the wt. around between the TV & TT/CT/VT.

If these units work out for the tongue wt. reduction, then the next question is whether Jana will like a 928 & driving it!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Very interesting, keep us informed. jim