Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Rogers , Arkansas

Looking for some advice regarding a new equalizer hitch. The TT is a 2014 FC 23FB, TV is a 2013 Yukon Denali. The hitch setup from the AS dealer at purchase was simply a standard hitch with one EZ Lift friction type anti-sway bar. Sway has been a major issue. Yesterday I went into a local RV dealer and after much discussion ended up having them install an E2 Trunion equalizer setup that deals with weight dist. and sway control, rated to 1,000 lb. tongue weight. My FC unloaded tongue weight is 467 lbs. I was told that this was not an overkill issue and would work fine. I still need to test drive this new hitch on Monday, and the dealer is happy to change out the entire setup if I am not pleased.
I have read so many threads around this issue from problems with the Yukon autoride air system to excessive stress to the trailer. Looking for some advice! Thank you.

Fcrazbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome. Give it a drive and see how it feels as recommended by the dealer. If not happy return and give them a chance to adjust to your satisfaction. You could also give the hitch maker a call and get their input. That is what I had to do to get the correct parts for my current hitch. I am sure someone will tell you to go buy another expensive hitch. That never fails to happen here.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
I am sure someone will tell you to go buy another expensive hitch. That never fails to happen here.

In the minority of threads. Suggest you read around more.

OP, the advice is otherwise to par. Dial it in at a weight scale to see how well the WDH is working.

With the TV loaded and level (and if Autoride can be turned off) set the WD hitch so that the hitched weight scale reading of the TV front axle is the same as the unhitched. Or, close enough. Front Axle Load Restoration, or, FALR

If the TT is then level and FALR is near enough (see owners manual, may be 100% recommended), and the Autoride doesn't have to adjust too much after being turned back on, then you ought to be good enough to get some wheel time.

Further numbers acqusition is always recommended. Give yourself a goal, such as 10k miles to get acquainted and make changes.

Good luck

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Open the driver door and write down the front and rear axle ratings on the label plate there. Also note the maximum payload, gross combination weight (trailer and car) and maximum trailer weight rating. Get down and look at the hitch on the back of the car and get it's tow ratings, both with and without weight distribution and maximum trailer weight rating.

Does the car have auto leveling suspension system?

Take the rig to a set of scales with full propane and water tank (the latter tends to be in front of axle) and some basic camping stuff. Have passenger and camping stuff in the car. Cross the scales with weight distribution loose.

Cross the scales with weight distribution engaged. Tell the scale master it is a re-weigh for discounted second pass charge.

Detach trailer and cross scales just with the car loaded the same. Tell the scale master it is a re-weigh for discounted third pass charge.

Note gap between top of tire and arch of wheel well with empty vehicle for all four wheels. Note the gaps when loaded before the trailer is attached. Then measure the gaps with trailer attached with no hitch adjustments. Then again with weight distribution engaged.

All thus information helps you set the weight distribution system to be most effective.

While gap measurements can give some information, the scales tell the absolute story whether the car is overloaded in any parameter and if any of the trailer weight is being transferred to the front car axle thus doing weight distribution.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Rogers , Arkansas
E2 Hitch Setup

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to share your experience and wisdom. I have a little work to do tomorrow! But feel much better regarding the process and what I am looking for.
All the best,
Fcrazbk is offline   Reply With Quote