Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
Making adjustements to Blue Ox set up

I have a 2018 F-150 with a 19' AS Int'l Signature 28 RBQ. Installed the BO system. Here is my issue.

When level the trailer receiver hitch is 19" from the ground. When I connect the trailer to the hitch without BO sway bars connected the receiver hitch is 15" from the ground. When I connect the sway bars (at the 9th link) it raises the trailer 2 inches to 17" (level is 19"). This doesn't get the trailer level by 2" I have the hitch ball set up at 2" above the receiver hitch as required. At this set up, I sill have sway from passing semi's and high winds...

I contacted BO and they said to raise my hitch up one hole...this would make the ball about 3 1/2 inches higher than the trailer receiver hitch... Any thoughts??

Jkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Thatís sounds like the only way to get it more level if youíre concerned about perfect level. I use BO but I have never measured to ensure itís all perfect. Eyeballing it and trusting that the dealer set it up right. We have a HD truck with a 30 ft classic though.

Have you tried lifting it one hole and then setting it back down on the trailer and drop the chain links. We were told to use link 7 or 8

BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Murphy , Texas
At the 7 or 8 link it makes it even lower...so not sure that is an option. I'm not sure that being exactly level is primary...it's the sway that I am more concerned about and that could be a result of not being level... Not sure.
Jkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
If your truck is level and trailer low in front with bars loaded, I would raise the ball up one hole, as BO suggested. They tend to give pretty good advise. The initial 2" suggested difference and 9th link are starting points, then you fine tune from there due to the thousands of trailer and TV combinations.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
JK

You have this question running on a previous thread. Did you lose that link?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I have a 2018 F-150 with a 19' AS Int'l Signature 28 RBQ. Installed the BO system. Here is my issue.

When level the trailer receiver hitch is 19" from the ground. When I connect the trailer to the hitch without BO sway bars connected the receiver hitch is 15" from the ground. When I connect the sway bars (at the 9th link) it raises the trailer 2 inches to 17" (level is 19"). This doesn't get the trailer level by 2" I have the hitch ball set up at 2" above the receiver hitch as required. At this set up, I sill have sway from passing semi's and high winds...

I contacted BO and they said to raise my hitch up one hole...this would make the ball about 3 1/2 inches higher than the trailer receiver hitch... Any thoughts??"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of people have post responses to your question. That thread is AW's BO thread and one that includes a lot of information . Starting new threads loses that info. Suggest you close this one and move back to the original thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...123666-13.html

Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes , I think you should raise the ball as BO suggested . The trailer needs to be level when the WD is set. Why was it set to where it is now initially? Just seems the initial setup was off somewhat. And weigh it for weight transfer when you think it is right.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
You didn’t mention which bars you have. I have a 2013 F150 3.5EB pulling a 2018 28’RBQ International Serenity so my combo is very close to yours although you have the newer model truck. My Blue Ox has 1000# bars. I’ve replaced the OEM shocks with Bilstein shocks to help control porpoising of the trailer over dips and bumps and these stiffer shocks could affect the comparison between yours and mine. After setting up the hitch, I am amazed at the difference in handling and ride comfort. I am on the eighth link from the free end which is shy one link as recommended by BO but as you see, the trailer is level and the ride and driving comfort are dialed in in my opinion. If needed I can go tighter by one link to level the truck a little more but I might have to lower the ball height to keep from raising the front of the trailer past level. This would also make the ride between truck and trailer more harsh which I don’t want. Here are my final numbers after taking an afternoon to set up my combination: (I have CAT Scale numbers that confirm the setup but they are in the trailer)

Unhitched
Truck front wheelarch 37.5”
Truck rear wheel arch 38”
Hitch Ball 20.75”
Ball socket 20.5”

Hitched w/o weight distribution
Truck front 38”
Truck rear 36.5”
Trailer front 19.75”
Trailer rear 22.5”

Hitched with weight distribution 8 links
Truck front 37.5”
Truck rear 37”
Trailer front 21.5”
Trailer rear 21.5”
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, follow these instructions carefully:
Mount the BO so the top of the ball is 22.5" from the ground.
Place the trailer on the ball, like you're going camping.
Raise the trailer up after coupling to the ball.
Put the chains of the WD bars in the 8th link from the end through the slot in the snap up bracket, rotate the bracket until it latches in place.
Lower the tongue.
The trailer should now be level, unless you have some monumental load in the front of the trailer.