Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Magnetic Hitch Locator

Ok, I didn't see this posted anywhere, so thought I would share it in case anyone found it useful.

http://www.magnetichitchlocator.com/

It's a "hitching helper" for those who might need to hitch up by themselves or are trailer-backing challenged.
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
Ok, I didn't see this posted anywhere, so thought I would share it in case anyone found it useful.

http://www.magnetichitchlocator.com/

It's a "hitching helper" for those who might need to hitch up by themselves or are trailer-backing challenged.
Here's a link to a similar product BigDee posted in May.

http://www.truckxpressions.com/truc.../gethitched.htm

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Magnetic Hitch Locator

Along the same line, but a slightly different concept are the solo hitching mirrors. I have tried a product similar to the "alignment flags", and found the mirrors to be somewhat easier to use. The Hitch Spotter is the product that I utilize since I must have the portability due owning more than one trailer I (my Hitch Spotter is now nearly 24 years old); and the One Shot is a system that permanently mounts to the trailer's hitch is the one that I would be more likely to consider if I only had one trailer.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:57 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Poor results from mirror

I bought a convex mirror from Camping World that hangs on the tailgate. I have found it nearly worthless. The image of the ball and hitch is so small and dim that it is almot impossible to tell what is happening. In addition, I park my trailer under cover and the hitch is in shadow which makes it harder to see.

After a couple of tries, I went back to my old method of lining the knob on my rollling bed cover up with the center of the trailer and guessing where to stop. I'm usually within an inch, so it just takes one "get out and look" to hitch up. If I gently bump, I just pull forward about 3" and I am right on.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Magnetic Hitch Locator

Greetings John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I bought a convex mirror from Camping World that hangs on the tailgate. I have found it nearly worthless. The image of the ball and hitch is so small and dim that it is almot impossible to tell what is happening. In addition, I park my trailer under cover and the hitch is in shadow which makes it harder to see.

After a couple of tries, I went back to my old method of lining the knob on my rollling bed cover up with the center of the trailer and guessing where to stop. I'm usually within an inch, so it just takes one "get out and look" to hitch up. If I gently bump, I just pull forward about 3" and I am right on.
I too tried one of the tailgate mounted mirror system and share your opinion of that system. In fact, I tried mine out while in the parking lot at the retailer and immediately returned it. My old K1500 Z71 had a cab height topper, and it was nearly impossible to see anything in that mirror between its angle and the view through the topper's windows - - I had no problem seeing my Hitch Spotter as its height (at maximum height setting) placed the mirror in the center of the truck/topper's rear window. For after dark hook-ups and when shadows proved troublesome, I carry a clamp-on 12-volt spot light that I attach to the tongue jack on the trailer to assist in seeing the hitch.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
How about this for a less than one penny idea:

After hitching up my trailer and having the trailer and tow vehicle straight, I put a one-two inch piece of black tape verticly in the center of the alumminum propane tank cover, just below the black hinged top.

I then went in my van, sat in a comfotable normal position, and had my wife place a second piece of tape on the back window of the van, so the top of that piece of tape lines up visually with the bottom of the tape on the LP tank cover.

So now when I back up to hitch, all I have to do is line up the two pieces of tape, and when the bottom and tops of the tape align, I am there. Sometimes you have to do a little looksie, like if you are in an unlevel campsite, but it sure works for me, and a lot less yelling at the Mrs.

Jonathan
Old 07-17-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Works for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
...I went back to my old method of lining the knob on my rollling bed cover up with the center of the trailer and guessing where to stop. I'm usually within an inch, so it just takes one "get out and look" to hitch up. If I gently bump, I just pull forward about 3" and I am right on...
I do alot of hitching up alone and have successfully employed the same technique though I haven't reached the goal of just one "get out and look" yet! I try not to "bump" so end up with 3 or 4 "get out and looks"!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Smile Zen and the art of hitching-up.

I use Crazylev's black tape method (now replaced with black paint) to get on the right line of approach. To get the exact stopping point, fore and aft, I purchased a $5 convex mirror from NAPA. This has a diameter about 5", and has an attachment bracket with two bolt holes. I attached the mirror to the opening lid of the gas bottle cover, when the lid is fully open. When the lid is closed the mirror tucks down behind the gas bottle cover. The mirror is bolted on so that when looking behind from the driver's seat in the truck (when hitched to the trailer) I can see the hitch on the trailer. I then purchased one of the plastic hitch ball covers, colored fluorescent orange, and fitted this to the ball at the back of the truck. (red, which is easily available, would probably also work). I used a sharp knife to slit up the side of the plastic cover so that it can be removed without needing a lot of height clearance. When I back up the truck, I follow down the line of the two black marks until the orange cover is visible in the mirror, and then slowly back up until the orange ball just disappears under the trailer hitch. Because of the bright color, I don't have the visibility problem described above. I then walk back to the hitch, remove the orange cover by pulling away from the slit, and lower the hitch. It works every time, and it makes me smile!