Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Lubricate or don't lubricate WD hitch

I've heard not to lubricate a WD hitch and then I heard there are certain sections that do need lubrication. I have a Reese WD dual cam sway.

Any suggestions?

Also what causes it to creak and moan so much when turning??

BB
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1976 28' Argosy 28
Indianapolis , Indiana
I may learn something new form subsequent replies, but I lubricate the pivot points for the spring bars on the hitch, the hitch ball, and the smaller anti-sway device hitch balls. I haven't had any trouble and it got rid of the creaking. I think that was coming from the spring bar to hitch locations. There appears to be a lot of stress and rotation there.
edleeseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Grease the hitch ball. Grease the upper & lower points where the spring bars attach to the hitch bar/head. Reese very definitely says don't grease the cam areas where the skinny end of the spring bars slide. Their manual does say you can use vaseline there only to diminish squeaking noises; I've found that to be a minor complaint and don't ever do that. You will see a fair amount of wear at that point -- but that's the dual cam doing it's job -- it requires the unlubricated friction to hold the trailer in line.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlay View Post
I've heard not to lubricate a WD hitch and then I heard there are certain sections that do need lubrication. I have a Reese WD dual cam sway.

Any suggestions?

BB
DrPlay-Here is the information from the Reese installation manuals on lubrication:

Reese WD Hitch Lubrication
Lubricate the ballmount sockets and spring bar trunnions to prevent rapid wear. When hooking-up, place one drop of oil on the top and a second drop on forward side of upper trunnion. Place a third drop on the rear side of lower trunnion before inserting trunnion into ballmount. Use a heavy oil such as "REESE ON THE BALL". Don't forget to lubricate the hitch ball with one or two drops also. Trunnionsshould be lubricated each towing day. It is not necessary to unhook the spring bars however, as there are two oil holes in the ballmounttop plate for upper trunnion lubrication. Lubricate lower trunnionswith one drop at contact point between trunnion and lower socket. Excess oil, dirt, and grit should be wiped out whenever trailer is uncoupled.

Reese Dual Cam Sway Control Lubrication
Do not use grease on cam and cam arms. A light coating vaseline may be used to reduce noise. The Dual Cam was designed to use metal-to-metal friction. Heavy greasing of the cam and cam arm surfaces will affect performance. If noise is offensive, a very light coating of lubricant, such as Vaseline, may be used. Tongue weights over 1,200 lbs.may require a light coating of lubricant to reduce friction and prevent excessive wear.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have always greased the cam ends to reduce wear. I have no sway problem. My wife hates interstates so we do alot to skinny road travel and meet lots of various sizes of truck and trailer combos. I have yet to feel any affects of crosswind or vehicles.
Oh, I also have not moaning and groaning when turning.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlay View Post

Any suggestions?

BB
Lightly greasing the saddles is fine.

It stops much of the wear, and certainly stops the moaning and groaning when you make turns.

Reese is WRONG to say do not use any lube just as much as their stupid weight rating selection chart, that ignores basic Physics when it as well as their customer service people say that the type tow vehicle you use, has NO effect on what rating bars to use.

The longevity of the bars, depends on some lube.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Remember, the key word here is "some", as in a little. Think of the Brylcreme ad, a little dab'll do ya.