Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Loss of control questionnaire

This is the form that was sent to those that reported some form or another, of a "loss of control" accident, when towing their Airstream.

This form was first sent out by Caravanner Insurance Company, the old insurance division of Airstream, starting in early 1970.

Information submitted by those insureds, was compiled statistically that allowed a prediction to be made as to the relative safety or lack thereof, of how a specific load equalizing hitch setup was made, installed, adjusted, as well it's rating. correct for the specific purpose intended.

We were able to document, why 90 percent of all the loss of control accidents happened, and how they could have been avoided.

This data came from well over one thousand (1,000) loss of control accidents, which were insured by Caravanner Insurance Company.

There will be two articles that will appear in Magazines that are known to the Airstream owners, within the next few months, that will go into greater detail and hopefully of interest to the majority, with the hope of correcting all too many "load equalizing hitch myths," and instilling a desire to improve towing safety, for all concerned, and reducing unnecessary damages to all too many Airstreams.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravanner1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	628.6 KB
ID:	74279  
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Andy,

Everyone can see how the questionnaire covers the tow vehicle, how it was equipped, and what hitch was used, but how does it cover how the hitch was adjusted, or setup?

Don't know about others, but I suspect at least many have had simular experiences to me, and that is I've had dealers setup hitches just good enough to get me off the lot. Unless a person has some experience, or enlists a friend with some experience, setting up a hitch can be tricky, at best. And, we all know a weight equilizer hitch that is setup grossly incorrectly, is not much better and sometimes worse than a bumper hitch.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Andy,

Everyone can see how the questionnaire covers the tow vehicle, how it was equipped, and what hitch was used, but how does it cover how the hitch was adjusted, or setup?

Don't know about others, but I suspect at least many have had simular experiences to me, and that is I've had dealers setup hitches just good enough to get me off the lot. Unless a person has some experience, or enlists a friend with some experience, setting up a hitch can be tricky, at best. And, we all know a weight equilizer hitch that is setup grossly incorrectly, is not much better and sometimes worse than a bumper hitch.
The trailer owner, was also typically interviewed, most always in person, or on the phone.

Surprisingly, most owners volunteered tons of information, over and above the form. We used that additional information, as well, in our data base.

Most of the time, the form was returned with a lengthy letter attached.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ahh, the famous Twelve Questions!

Thanks for the posting and the notice of upcoming editorial content. Hope that a way can be found to alert the rest of us (who don't subscribe to said magazines) to secure copies of same (name/volume/issue).

I do appreciate all the trouble, Andy, that invaluable experience of yours is a great thing to put to paper for that "rest of us".

I've done more than one search on your comments on this subject and am working over my own file of How To on this subject.

On the Silver Streak Mailing List there was a recent set of comments that cracks around a certain starboard-bow window were not uncommonly found on Silver Streak trailers. I immediately thought of you, and of being "overhitched".

Again, thanks!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote