Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Looking to buy a weight dist. setup best value?

Hi all:

I'm looking to buy a weight distributing hitch setup. It must be something that I can use both with a camper (hopefully an Airstream) and my flatbed trailer (24' tandem). The now common spring-bar with chain and over-center chain latches on either side of the trailer A-frame seem to fit the bill...but I'd like some input. Those that have the Reese twin cams: does anyone use it on more than one trailer? How easy is it to move? Do you need any duplicate parts? Any other brand / types out there that I don't know about that lend well to multiple trailer usage and are a good value?

In addition, duplicity of trailers aside, what's the hands down best weight distributing hitch? What's not maybe the "best" but the best value (balance of cost vs. performance)

Thanks
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard...

Oh Boy here we go...

The two I can comment on....experience with

#1 Hensley Arrow

#2 Reese Dual cam

Both excellent set-up's Investigate/compare/decide.

GOOD LUCK....
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Check out the new Reese Strait-Line... it seems to be an update of the dual cam, but a complete package deal? Hitch World has them on sale.
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you get the Reese Strait-Line/dual cam you will be very happy. I know you can buy the cam arms separately so there won't be a problem getting the parts you need without buying two complete sets.

The biggest problem with the dual cam will be adjusting the hitch head each time you switch between trailers. And maybe you will need different sets of spring bars if the trailers are different in tongue weight.

Unless both trailers have the same ball height and tongue load, you will spend so much time adjusting the head that a separate rig for each trailer may be a worthwhile investment.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If you get the Reese Strait-Line/dual cam you will be very happy. I know you can buy the cam arms separately so there won't be a problem getting the parts you need without buying two complete sets.

The biggest problem with the dual cam will be adjusting the hitch head each time you switch between trailers. And maybe you will need different sets of spring bars if the trailers are different in tongue weight.

Unless both trailers have the same ball height and tongue load, you will spend so much time adjusting the head that a separate rig for each trailer may be a worthwhile investment.
Agreed
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #6

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
I've been using the Reese straight line / dual cam system for years. In my opinion it is the perfect setup. It really works well at both weight distribution and sway control.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
In addition, duplicity of trailers aside, what's the hands down best weight distributing hitch? What's not maybe the "best" but the best value (balance of cost vs. performance)

Thanks
Depends on your needs. If you have stability issues with your combination that a convetional hitch won't solve, a trapezoidal hitch (Hensley Arrow or ProPride) is a great value - a lot cheaper than replacing your tow vehicle!

I like my Eaz-Lift with 2 sway controls. However, sway controls add to the cost of the package so a dual cam may be cheaper. Other folks are very happy with their Equal-i-zers, but the strongest criticism of these is more limited vertical "travel" over bumps, which is harder on the structure of an Airstream.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Look on Ebay- there are all kinds, brands, weight capacities, etc. There are some excellent values there if you do your homework and compare. Get the correct weight spring bars for your tongue weight/total weight.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
What if your tailor doesn't balance? Can you add concrete or other weighted plates beneath the floor or something?
coltmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you mean to balance so that the tongue weight is within 10 to 15% of the total weight, then yes you can use concrete.

Has your trailer had modifications that threw the balance out of whack? You could also strategically place several cases of longneck beverages in the trailer. If you get stuck somewhere the beverages will be more useful than the concrete.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
If you get stuck somewhere the beverages will be more useful than the concrete.
I didn't need much to balance mine....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA 023.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	76455  
Old 03-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
It will take a 2 5/16" ball rated at 10,000 pounds installed on the hitch bar to pull your Airstream. The Reese and Hensley stinger are sized to take these approx 1" diameter ball shanks. What's the ball size on your 24' flatbed?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
Thanks a lot. I like the beverage idea, lol. I don't have a trailer yet. I want to educate myself on remodeling/refurbishing before I get one. Any threads you think could help for someone who knows close to nothing about AS's?
coltmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Try these for a start....Good Luck

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-46866.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html